Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

SteveO 35

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by SteveO 35 »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:46 pm
I'd just like to point out yet again that prior to the CP incident the only player who played more for Emery than Xhaka was PEA, when the incident happened he was then only passed by Mustafi by one more game I believe. So it hardly shows a Manager desperate to get rid of a player in fact I'd bet my pension if the CP incident hadn't happened there would have been no talk of Emery getting rid of Xhaka, revisionism is a disease of the mind. :wink:
I don't dispute the point that Xhaka has fooled three managers in a row. Dick was wrong to keep playing him too. However the CP incident was pivotal and saw him stripped of the captaincy. He hated (still hates) the fans and it was widely reported that offers were on the table from German clubs to take him in the January. Arteta decided to restore him and make him a regular again

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:46 pm
GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:46 pm
I'd just like to point out yet again that prior to the CP incident the only player who played more for Emery than Xhaka was PEA, when the incident happened he was then only passed by Mustafi by one more game I believe. So it hardly shows a Manager desperate to get rid of a player in fact I'd bet my pension if the CP incident hadn't happened there would have been no talk of Emery getting rid of Xhaka, revisionism is a disease of the mind. :wink:
I don't dispute the point that Xhaka has fooled three managers in a row. Dick was wrong to keep playing him too. However the CP incident was pivotal and saw him stripped of the captaincy. He hated (still hates) the fans and it was widely reported that offers were on the table from German clubs to take him in the January. Arteta decided to restore him and make him a regular again

Just another example of Arteta's lack of experience, knowledge and ability to "see' what's what as a manager, hence he needs to go asap so that we can get in a proper manager.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Judge him in May

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

flash gunner wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:29 am
Judge him in May
I will be honest and say even if by some miracle he gets us 4th in May I would still want rid, I am just not convinced he can get this team working well enough to put up a real challenge.

I know he is inexperienced but his brand of football for me screams overly cautious too often and he lacks the killer instinct and ruthlessness needed during matches

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:33 pm
flash gunner wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:29 am
Judge him in May
I will be honest and say even if by some miracle he gets us 4th in May I would still want rid, I am just not convinced he can get this team working well enough to put up a real challenge.

I know he is inexperienced but his brand of football for me screams overly cautious too often and he lacks the killer instinct and ruthlessness needed during matches
About 1 game in 4 we play really well, high tempo, and play to our strengths.

The rest of the time we play the turgid, slow, boring football that I can’t stand to watch ( and am always grateful I haven’t paid to go and watch)

It doesn’t take a genius or need to wait till half time ( or the last 10 mins of a match in our case ) to see that playing against a packed defence, slow, side to side football Is easy to defend against.

augie

Post by augie »

What an arrogant c.unt - "I am the solution not the problem" :roll: :banghead: :banghead:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... he-problem

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:26 am
What an arrogant c.unt - "I am the solution not the problem" :roll: :banghead: :banghead:

:lol:

Saw that and thought, "hmmm, augie will love this". :wink:

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

He said - she said. Nothing there , move on .

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

A11M11 wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:47 pm
He said - she said. Nothing there , move on .
Exactly, Auba only willing to say the bare minimum insinuates this wasn't all one sided and as a player who has had issues at previous clubs probably best to leave it at that.

Until the reveal all book deal is signed we will all have to wait with baited breath.... Or not :roll: :wink:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:38 am
augie wrote:

Ah Jesus, don't get him started

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:41 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
augie wrote:

Ah Jesus, don't get him started
:lol:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:41 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
augie wrote:

Ah beJesus, don't get him started

:-P :lol:

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

As far as a few months ago I always felt we would compete for 4th. But know im firming to believe its ours to lose. Unlike Spurs and United we have a solid backline to build from. Since Ramsdale got the gloves 3 matches into the season, 11 clean sheets in 19 games. White and Gabriel are forming a solid partnership and Holding is a worthy 3rd choice centre half. Tomiyasu and Tierney and wonderful fullbacks. We could probably carry one of Tavares or Cedric playing at full back, but ideally Tomiyasu and Tierney need to start & finish as many games as possible.

There is actually a big margin for error and both Spurs and United struggle to keep the ball out of the net. I really want to not have to use that margin of error and start winning more games. We simply need to get among the goals again, because if we do the wins will come because we are sure keeping it tight at the back.

If we allow Man United or Spurs to pip us its a disaster. Almost a great a tragedy of not beating Leicester to the title - that was Wengers biggest failure. Chelsea, Liverpool City and United all shit it that year, and we still didnt win it

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Giving arteta some credit here, he has set the team up well defensively, as above 11 clean sheets in 19 games is impressive

Remember when we were shipping goals, getting regular embarrassed

so on that front improvement for sure...need to sort midfield and forward positions now

If he gets top 4 will be an achievement , know some on here think fuck all of that, but its the club moving forward

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

Thierry Henry on #Arsenal's top 4 chances: "For me, if they don’t do it, as I said at the start of the season, then it will be a failure" https://t.co/hwfMHI1Aa9