Next years formation / team selection

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Stuart L (2)

Next years formation / team selection

Post by Stuart L (2) »

Over at the jolly good BBC football site they have an app to choose your formation and team selection.

I have had a couple of attempts and still can’t really decide on what our formation will be based on the players we currently have.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66065372

You need to scroll down to the bottom after all the Rice chat.

Ramsdale

Timber. Saliba. Gabriel. Zinchencko

Odegaard. Rice Havertz

Saka. Jesus Martinelli

With either Timber or Zinchenko inverting into midfield when we have possession., Havertz probably playing more advanced

Bench looks strong with White, Tierney, Trossard, Vieira 😜 Nelson, Balogun, Nketiah, Jorghino, Smith Rowe

John F

Re: Next years formation / team selection

Post by John F »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:04 am
Over at the jolly good BBC football site they have an app to choose your formation and team selection.

I have had a couple of attempts and still can’t really decide on what our formation will be based on the players we currently have.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66065372

You need to scroll down to the bottom after all the Rice chat.

Ramsdale

Timber. Saliba. Gabriel. Zinchencko

Odegaard. Rice Havertz

Saka. Jesus Martinelli

With either Timber or Zinchenko inverting into midfield when we have possession., Havertz probably playing more advanced

Bench looks strong with White, Tierney, Trossard, Vieira 😜 Nelson, Balogun, Nketiah, Jorghino, Smith Rowe
I had a go at this Stuart and changed my mind several times. If we play Zinchencko then I would be happier if we played 3 at the back as he was getting exposed on several occasions toward the end of the season. If Partey stays then I would go for
Ramsdale
Timber, White, Saliba, Tierney.
Saka, Partey,Rice,Martinelli
Odegaard
The last position showed me that we really do need to sign a decent striker.
I settled on Jesus although I cannot see any headed goals in that line-up.

JerseyGooner

Post by JerseyGooner »

Hopefully with a much better bench, Arteta changes formations depending on the opponent.

One option is 352

Timber. Saliba. Gabriel

Saka. Olegard. Rice. Partey. Zinchenko

Jesus Martinelli

Havertz for Partey if he is sold.

This creates overloads, and space for attackers against teams that park the bus. Then would switch to
442 against man city, Liverpool maybe

Timber. Saliba. Gabriel. Tierney

White. Rice. Partly. Zinchenko

Saka. Martinelli

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

JerseyGooner wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:05 pm
Hopefully with a much better bench, Arteta changes formations depending on the opponent.

One option is 352

Timber. Saliba. Gabriel

Saka. Olegard. Rice. Partey. Zinchenko

Jesus Martinelli

Havertz for Partey if he is sold.

This creates overloads, and space for attackers against teams that park the bus. Then would switch to
442 against man city, Liverpool maybe

Timber. Saliba. Gabriel. Tierney

White. Rice. Partly. Zinchenko

Saka. Martinelli
I agree that our larger quality bench and the fact that several players can play in different positions give us the flexibility to change formation and tactics dependent on opponents.

Losing twice to City last season gave them a huge advantage - being solid with Rice / Partey ( or Caicedo / Lavia / Onana ) if he goes yet still having the creativity and pace up front could be massive.