David Raya PLEASE! Fuck-Off!

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SteveO 35

Re: Welcome David Raya

Post by SteveO 35 »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:34 am
I wonder would we be having the conversation about Ramsdale if we hadn't signed Raya,(I know Retro had some concerns about him last season)with Turner as his back up I think we all figured that if ramsdale got injured we could be in trouble.
I noticed on social media when we signed Raya alot of stats coming out about ramsdale which didn't show him in a good light ,eg 7 goals conceded from 1st shot on target,apparently rayas stats from last season were the 4th best in the league where I think ramsdale was in between 7-12th .Personally I think ramsdale is very poor on crosses,seems to flap alot when a high ball comes in.

1 other thing he's playing for a team that now looks to be within a chance of MAYBE winning the league or at least qualifying for the CL for the foreseeable future but yet he can't get past pickford (who for the last few seasons has been playing in a team fighting relegation continuously)as England No 1, that is telling in itself
I wouldn't pay much attention to the Pickford situation mate - that's entirely of Southgate's making just as is the case with Maguire, Henderson and Kalvin Phillips all starting ahead of much better players!

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

True Stevo,real blind spot with Southgate when it comes to some of those players

augie

Post by augie »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:58 am
Personally I think Ramsdale has been superb since he signed and I didn't see the need to sign Raya. However, I said the same when we had John Lukic and didn't want us to sign Spunky, and look how that turned out. I do wonder how this is going to map out during the whole season though. Even the very top clubs like City have a clear distinction between first choice keeper and back up and if we believe all the speculation, Raya had his pick of clubs so not sure he would have joined us on the faint hope of winning the first choice spot - there must have been some firm assurances given.

Ramsdale is the least of our worries when it comes to the squad. I still think the wing back/full back positions are threadbare and wonder if our main CFs will get us enough goals

I think for the most part Ramsdale has done well since he signed, but def wouldnt go so far as to say superb. I also wouldnt go so far as to say that he is the least of our worries, but do agree that we have other bigger issues in the starting team. My feeling goes back to a point I made a few years ago when I wasnt happy with the lack of signings and was getting shot down by the pro wenger lobby who argued that we didnt have massive transfer money available - not every transfer signing has to be THE GUY, but he does have to be an upgrade on the guy currently in the position. I think ramsdale is an adequate keeper, but certainly not top quality so it is def possible to upgrade that position so we should upgrade if the possibiliy is there. What I continue to say (and it kinda touches on what McD is saying) is that having two number one keepers is not a good situation and creates unsettling enviroment both within the squad and within the fanbase

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Everyone on here knows my feelings regarding Ramsdale and we've discussed his weaknesses no end of times. In short, I can never shake the feeling that he's an accident waiting to happen and I think he concedes goals that better keepers would save.

However, if the choice were replace him, or strengthen in other key areas, namely an additional quality centre mid so we could jettison Partey (and not buy Havertz of course) and add a proper goal scoring striker, then I'd have kept Rmasdale in place. I won't complain about replacing him with a better keeper (the caveat is that I don't know enough about Raya to know if he's that keeper), but other areas required more urgent attention imo. If we had done it all, then great, but we haven't.

Midz

Post by Midz »

I can't remember if it was against us or someone else but at the time I thought Brentford had a bloody good keeper. IMO if he gets a run in our team I think he'll do all right.
I like Ramsdale so it'll be very interesting to see how these two GKs work out in the same team.

bergkamp10

Post by bergkamp10 »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:29 pm
augie wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:53 pm
Self harm was a phrase that became very prominent in the latter wenger years and I fear that it is going to be widely used again this season - I've always gone on record as saying that while there are facets of ramsdale's game and personality that I like, I will also say that overall I dont really trust him or rate him as an elite keeper. Pep's cone boy has created a situation now where just 4 weeks in there is already commotion about raya taking over as number 1 keeper, and we are going to have a season of that regardless of who is in goals - it is naive/stupid to think that this wont have an unsettling effect on the team as the season goes on, and if raya does take over at some point, then he wont be in the job a fortnight before the xenophobic press will be on his case cos he is an england player getting squeezed out :roll:

Hold my hands up and say that I havent seen enough of raya to decide if I believe that he is good enough or not, but I do feel that ramsdale has made enough mistakes to suggest that he isnt good enough - I wish that having signed raya pep's cone boy would have sold ramsdale cos I think the whole situation will get messy, but this arrogant cock thinks he can diffuse any issue :roll: Like others have said, I dont see the point in signing raya if he isnt going to play, and I mean play with the first team and not the squad players and rookies in league cup - you cant assess him properly if he is playing behind a team of back ups
Really disrespectful calling MA, Pep's cone boy Augie. What are you going to do if he does win us the league over the next few years?

10 points out of 12 not playing great football is a sign of a good team. The fact we have turned over one of our top 6 rivals without Partey is massive for me.

Bang on the mark here Nut! The 3-1 V MU was a massive result. Ramsdale's got enough about him for me, Raya f what I've seen wouldn't necessary be a significant upgrade.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Welcome Almunia MKII

Did yourself proud patter caking the Spuds equaliser and gifting Lens their 1st.

Join the list of massive wankers we've had in goal since Mad Jens

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I think Retro might have a difference of Opinion on this SteveO...

Maybe!

Maybe Not!?

:lol:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

All I hear people talk about with Raya is his "amazing stats". Did anyone actually watch him much? I remember one of Roy Keane's rants about Jordan Pickfoed when he said he didn't need to see any stats, he could just tell you he's not up to it

The first game I can remember ever noticing him was the play off final against Fulham where he absolutely ballsed it up for his team trying to be a Hollywood keeper. Since then I've watched the odd Brentford game here and there and he never really stood out either way.

Since he played for us he's had games where there's been bugger all for him to do, and in the Spurs game he was a flapper whose kicking was absolutely awful, and last night where his shit kicking cost us a goal and countless opportunities to break away.

In Ramsdale we've got a keeper who was consistently good enough to get us 2nd place. If we're going to upgrade from there it needed to be a Seaman v Lukic moment where we replaced a very good keeper with an outstanding one. As GG said back then he still rated Lukic as one of the top 5 keepers in the land....he just thought Seaman was the best. Think he went on to prove that conclusively.

If anyone thinks this bloke is going to do that they're deluded- he's more Almunia than Seaman

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Problem is, we have so called fans who want instant success, players to be superb every performance, drop them if they kick a ball badly etc. Absolute idiots who know nothing about football.

Raya is a very good keeper, needs a little time to settle into a new way of playing, learn how his defenders and midfielders do things. If after 12 games he looks dodgy as fuck, then put Ramsdale as no1.
Ramsdale is flaky, we know that, his kicking can be fucking diabolical ie: short passes straight to opposition, he palms the ball into dangerous areas way to often and isn't great catching crosses/dead balls but he's a great shot stopper. We haven't seen enough of Raya to even begin deciding what's the best option but from history in the PL, Raya makes more saves from shots faced, catches more balls and distributes the ball better...... For certain idiots on here, that means 'on average'..... Not every game.

Arteta has unfortunately put both keepers in a very awkward situation by saying nothing about who's no. 1 etc so now both keepers play each game on a knife edge thinking one mistake and I'm out. Hardly breeds confidence!

Finally.... Fickle fans...... Arsenal have quite a few of them, one dodgy mistake and they want the player dropped or sold FFS. They have obviously never played football and I am sure..... Have never been to an Arsenal game but are ready to mouth off at every opportunity. Remember some of our heroes of the last 25 years started poorly or at best mediocre for us and went on to become legends...... Have some patience and give people a bit of a chance at least...... Except Havertz, he is shit of course! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:43 am

Maybe!

Maybe Not!?

Ahh.....I wondered how long it would be before somebody tried to pull me into the debate about whether Raya is good enough, or better/worse than Ramsdale.

One quick look at my posts on this thread (there's one a few posts above this) and elsewhere on the forum, will make it very clear that I know almost nothing about Raya and had seen far too little of him to judge whether he was an upgrade on Ramsdale.

Not rating Ramsdale highly does not equate to thinking any and every other keeper is an improvement.

All this could have been avoided if Arteta had done the sensible thing and kept the best keeper we had at the club....Martinez. You don't hear Villa fans doubting him. Legohead made a big mistake.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:45 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:43 am

Maybe!

Maybe Not!?

Ahh.....I wondered how long it would be before somebody tried to pull me into the debate about whether Raya is good enough, or better/worse than Ramsdale.

One quick look at my posts on this thread (there's one a few posts above this) and elsewhere on the forum, will make it very clear that I know almost nothing about Raya and had seen far too little of him to judge whether he was an upgrade on Ramsdale.

Not rating Ramsdale highly does not equate to thinking any and every other keeper is an improvement.

All this could have been avoided if Arteta had done the sensible thing and kept the best keeper we had at the club....Martinez. You don't hear Villa fans doubting him. Legohead made a big mistake.
Oi! I ain't Pulling ANYTHING! That's Rodders job! :lol: :wink: :wink:

OneBardGooner

Re: David Raya PLEASE! Fuck-Off!

Post by OneBardGooner »

After tonight's ( and his last 4 games) absolute Fuck-Fest from Raya against Seville I have changed the title. (*)..my heart just cannot take that kind of lunacy any more.... It's all down to Arteta btw.

Come back Rambo all is forgiven.

(*) It Just Had To Be Done. :proudtosay:

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

A thread of Raya’s gaffs -

https://x.com/lehmannsterms_/status/134 ... ypo8FzPjIA

Our goalkeeping coach, Inaki Cana, worked with Runnerson and Raya, and recommended both. Who’s the bigger problem. :roll:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:02 am
A thread of Raya’s gaffs -

https://x.com/lehmannsterms_/status/134 ... ypo8FzPjIA

Our goalkeeping coach, Inaki Cana, worked with Runnerson and Raya, and recommended both. Who’s the bigger problem. :roll:
Inaki Cana Pavón
Arsenal first-team Goalkeeping coach
Inaki worked at Brentford before he joined Arsenal. He has worked as a goalkeeping coach for many years and also owns a goalkeeper academy in Barcelona.

Now we know why? We brought Raya in... The twat must be on some kind of commission for any goalies he recommends / brings in......