Bournemouth A Sat 30th Sept KO 3pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
RJG23

Re: Bournemouth A Sat 30th Sept KO 3pm

Post by RJG23 »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:48 pm
RJG23 wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:40 pm
Different scenarios really. I wouldn't want us to sign Maguire but that's because he's 30 and is performing terribly for club and country. But you can't say he wasn't performing very well at the end of his time at Leicester/beginning time at Utd, plus for England. That probably has more to do with him declining from his peak (as well as confidence), whereas Kai only recently turned 24 so it's a different scenario. He has time to get his confidence back and learn new systems/tactics and improve.

Would you have been happier if we signed Maguire 3-4 years ago? Probably.

Poor response. So because he’s 30 and not because he’s crap? If he were 25 you’d sign him?

Would you be happy to sign McTominey, who isn’t 30 but is also crap, and be telling us to give him time?

And no, I’ve wouldn’t have signed Maguire because I’ve never rated him.
Not the point I'm making mate. Maguire at 25 wasn't a bad player. Now he is. Compared to the defenders we had 5 years ago, at the time would you have taken him in the form he was in? Possibly. Would you take him now in his form compared to what we have now? Absolutely not.

I wouldn't sign Maguire now because he's 30 and crap, with very little time left in his career to find form again. Havertz is just 24 and has shown signs of being a good player, and has time to become that with the right coaching.

I'm not saying he's playing amazing because he's not and I'm not saying he'll be world class. But he is being judged harshly for some average and some poor performances. We've had worse players get less stick. Just don't rule him out after 7 games. Give him half a season (at the least) and if he's still playing below the level we demand I'll be right next to you calling him a fraud 😂

RJG23

Post by RJG23 »

Also Ramsdale got relegated twice, should we have not signed him? If you're in a crap team you most likely look crap. The transfer team have done a good job lately and have earned my trust for the time being so I'm backing him for now.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

RJG23 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:04 am
Also Ramsdale got relegated twice, should we have not signed him? If you're in a crap team you most likely look crap. The transfer team have done a good job lately and have earned my trust for the time being so I'm backing him for now.

No, I wouldn’t have signed Ramsdale, regardless of him being in two relegated sides. Just as there are players that I wouldn’t have signed who were in a league winning side…for example, Jordan Henderson.

Are you unable to assess a player without assessing the team he’s playing in. No one is suggesting that playing in a quality team doesn’t help a player, but I think most people with a grasp of the game can spot a good player and a poor on.

It’s also farcical to lay the blame for his 3 crap years at Chelsea on the club. They were hardly a hopeless outfit and he was surrounded by quality teammates who performed regardless of managerial changes etc.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

RJG23 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:58 am
Retro Gunner wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:48 pm
RJG23 wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:40 pm
Different scenarios really. I wouldn't want us to sign Maguire but that's because he's 30 and is performing terribly for club and country. But you can't say he wasn't performing very well at the end of his time at Leicester/beginning time at Utd, plus for England. That probably has more to do with him declining from his peak (as well as confidence), whereas Kai only recently turned 24 so it's a different scenario. He has time to get his confidence back and learn new systems/tactics and improve.

Would you have been happier if we signed Maguire 3-4 years ago? Probably.

Poor response. So because he’s 30 and not because he’s crap? If he were 25 you’d sign him?

Would you be happy to sign McTominey, who isn’t 30 but is also crap, and be telling us to give him time?

And no, I’ve wouldn’t have signed Maguire because I’ve never rated him.
Not the point I'm making mate. Maguire at 25 wasn't a bad player. Now he is. Compared to the defenders we had 5 years ago, at the time would you have taken him in the form he was in? Possibly. Would you take him now in his form compared to what we have now? Absolutely not.

I wouldn't sign Maguire now because he's 30 and crap, with very little time left in his career to find form again. Havertz is just 24 and has shown signs of being a good player, and has time to become that with the right coaching.

I'm not saying he's playing amazing because he's not and I'm not saying he'll be world class. But he is being judged harshly for some average and some poor performances. We've had worse players get less stick. Just don't rule him out after 7 games. Give him half a season (at the least) and if he's still playing below the level we demand I'll be right next to you calling him a fraud 😂

Well, your point was disingenuous wasn’t it? I was asking if you’d be happy to give Maguire time if Arteta signed him, based on how he’s been performing. The point I’m making is clear, but you’ve tried to fog it by bringing in his age.

So, I’ve suggested a different player who isn’t 30, but you haven’t answered…would you be happy to give McTominey time if Arteta signed him?

Mantis is right, we’ve signed a dud and you need to accept it. He’s gonna be as crap in 3 months or 6 months as he is now.

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

Finally got to watch the replay tonight. We fuckin' murdered them. Great performance & special mention to our fans for their constant singing & support. :barscarf: :barscarf:

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

As predicted some idiot in the mail (don't judge me was wrongly delivered in lieu of times...what an awful paper the mail is generally btw) saying words to the effect of Eddie proving his doubters wrong as being cut out for a title challenging side...

At least it didn't mention scum much all on how Liverpool were robbed and would have been different result had officials not down them over.

augie

Post by augie »

RJG23 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:04 am

I'm sorry but what ??? Our most important players are STILL saka (academy), saliba and martinelli (bought by previous regime) and when you consider that we have (according to transfermarket.co.uk) spent almost 700m under arteta :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Look how many players pep's cone boy has signed and already either moved on or frozen out - the guy is in the job 4 years and it isnt a good sign when we are signing players and getting rid of them before their first contracts even run out. I could pick glaring holes out of his key signings (zinchenko, jesus and havertz for starters) but we all know them anyway, and most fans recognised those failings before we signed them, so I would argue bang for buck we havent done a wonderful job at all

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

Ray C wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:48 am
Finally got to watch the replay tonight. We fuckin' murdered them. Great performance & special mention to our fans for their constant singing & support. :barscarf: :barscarf:
I only got to see the first half yesterday, so watched it over again this afternoon

Defence was very comfortable, albeit with 2 or 3 good blocks from Gabriel and Saliba,

Raya far more calm on the ball and not as risky as Ramsdale.

Rice performaing at 8 out of 10 every week, wins his tackles, doesn’t give the ball away, makes some nice interceptions, the odd driving run forward.

Eddie, Zinchencko and Kai could have done better yesterday but that is being picky after a 4-0 win and maybe Smith Rowe should have scored but he had 2 decent effort ps in only a 10 minute performance.

Hopefully Saka okay, with Trossard not risked and hopefully Martinelli back in time for City