Sevilla A Champs lge matchday 3 Tues October 24th KO 8pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
IW8Goalmachine

Re: Sevilla A Champs lge matchday 3 Tues October 24th KO 8pm

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:47 pm
Source BBC:

It sounds like Arteta is coming out with all kinds of nonsense re: Raya and Havertz... he may have genuinely believed he was doing the right thing when he signed them, so far it doesn't seem to be going to plan...Maybe things will improve but at the moment we are nowhere near like the team we were last season..

See what you think:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal

Arteta on Havertz experience, Raya mistakes and Saka leadership role

Mikel Arteta has been speaking to the media before Arsenal's Champions League match against Sevilla on Tuesday.
Here are the key lines from his news conference:
Arteta confirmed that Aaron Ramsdale has travelled as part of the squad for the match.
After David Raya made errors in the draw against Chelsea on Saturday, Arteta doesn't feel he is suffering being in the spotlight since coming in for Ramsdale and just that "mistakes happen" in football.
He added: "That's the pressure of playing for big clubs where you have to win and you have to be at your best and you have someone next to you that is pushing you every single day."
Asked whether he had the Champions League in mind when he signed Kai Havertz, he said it was "one of the reasons" and added: "His quality and the number of things he has already done in his career at his age, and then to improve the starting XI as well because he is a player with tremendous quality that is going to help us to be better."
He confirmed that Bukayo Saka is part of the leadership group after finishing the game at the weekend with the captains armband.
On these players stepping into leadership roles, he said: "I think it's really important for them because the role that they have in way of playing in our team and our club has to be mirrored around the team to make the team grow.
He added: "I think it’s a perfect environment, we have a really good mixture of players and experiences in the group and it’s going to be valuable to spend time with those guys to understand what happens behind the scenes as well."
I'm just waiting for some leaked CCTV footage of Wenger pulling off the arteta mask Mission Impossible style

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:51 am
Flew out to Sevilla yesterday, first away CL game in a few years. Absolutely buzzing about this evening, town is a great lots of cheap tapas and beers that aren't eyewateringly expensive. COYG!!!
:barscarf: Nice one Nutty! Enjoy it mate!!! :cheers:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:35 am
OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:47 pm
Source BBC:

It sounds like Arteta is coming out with all kinds of nonsense re: Raya and Havertz... he may have genuinely believed he was doing the right thing when he signed them, so far it doesn't seem to be going to plan...Maybe things will improve but at the moment we are nowhere near like the team we were last season..

See what you think:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal

Arteta on Havertz experience, Raya mistakes and Saka leadership role

Mikel Arteta has been speaking to the media before Arsenal's Champions League match against Sevilla on Tuesday.
Here are the key lines from his news conference:
Arteta confirmed that Aaron Ramsdale has travelled as part of the squad for the match.
After David Raya made errors in the draw against Chelsea on Saturday, Arteta doesn't feel he is suffering being in the spotlight since coming in for Ramsdale and just that "mistakes happen" in football.
He added: "That's the pressure of playing for big clubs where you have to win and you have to be at your best and you have someone next to you that is pushing you every single day."
Asked whether he had the Champions League in mind when he signed Kai Havertz, he said it was "one of the reasons" and added: "His quality and the number of things he has already done in his career at his age, and then to improve the starting XI as well because he is a player with tremendous quality that is going to help us to be better."
He confirmed that Bukayo Saka is part of the leadership group after finishing the game at the weekend with the captains armband.
On these players stepping into leadership roles, he said: "I think it's really important for them because the role that they have in way of playing in our team and our club has to be mirrored around the team to make the team grow.
He added: "I think it’s a perfect environment, we have a really good mixture of players and experiences in the group and it’s going to be valuable to spend time with those guys to understand what happens behind the scenes as well."
I'm just waiting for some leaked CCTV footage of Wenger pulling off the arteta mask Mission Impossible style
Ohhh! God! That would be a Nightmare come fucking True..... :cry:

How to Truly Scare Young Gooners!!!! (and their parents!).

augie

Post by augie »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... eague.html

Have to be honest and say that I shed a tear or two reading that article - I loved reyes as a player and think that he could have been a legend for us had that racist c.unt Luis Aragones not made reyes an outcast at AFC :evil: I still blame henry too cos reyes was a kid trying to make a career in the world and was never gonna stand up to the intimidating spanish manager, and henry as the more experienced man should have recognised that instead of freezing him out :cry: :cry: :cry:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Hope there's a strong ref tonight i can only imagine the play acting that will go on throughout the game by the Sevilla players

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:12 pm

Have to be honest and say that I shed a tear or two reading that article - I loved reyes as a player and think that he could have been a legend for us had that racist c.unt Luis Aragones not made reyes an outcast at AFC :evil: I still blame henry too cos reyes was a kid trying to make a career in the world and was never gonna stand up to the intimidating spanish manager, and henry as the more experienced man should have recognised that instead of freezing him out :cry: :cry: :cry:
Henry treated him like a cùnt. There's a clip of Henry running off to celebrate a goal and Reyes runs up to him and Henry very publicly brushed him off as if he had the plague. Disgraceful from a senior player. And If I recall correctly I think Reyes might have put in the assist for the goal. Was also a rumour doing the rounds at the time that Henry called Reyes "the gypsy" behind his back and actively tried to freeze him out at the club. Shameful really.

So sad that he died so young and so horrifically.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:04 pm
augie wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:12 pm

Henry treated him like a cùnt. There's a clip of Henry running off to celebrate a goal and Reyes runs up to him and Henry very publicly brushed him off as if he had the plague. Disgraceful from a senior player. And If I recall correctly I think Reyes might have put in the assist for the goal. Was also a rumour doing the rounds at the time that Henry called Reyes "the gypsy" behind his back and actively tried to freeze him out at the club. Shameful really.

So sad that he died so young and so horrifically.

Agree with you both. As augie says, Reyes could have been a real star for us, but he did appear to be frozen out and sidelined and it did seem as though Henry was possibly instrumental in that. It seemed to me that Henry had given him the cold shoulder even before the Aragones incident and I remember wondering whether he saw Reyes as a threat to his position as the "main man". I always thought that he had a similar feeling about Van Persie.

Henry was a fabulous footballer and superb for us (although came up short on certain big occasions), but I got the feeling (and still do when I see him as a pundit) that he was a prima donna and could be an unpleasant fucker if he took a dislike to someone. Still, that's no more than a hunch based on certain incidents like the one DB highlights and on his somewhat arrogant demeanor....mind you, I suppose he is French. :-P

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:51 am
Flew out to Sevilla yesterday, first away CL game in a few years. Absolutely buzzing about this evening, town is a great lots of cheap tapas and beers that aren't eyewateringly expensive. COYG!!!
Have a great evening -Seville this time of year probably one of the best away fixtures you can do!
cheer the team on to a win :barscarf:

Topside Northbank

Post by Topside Northbank »

Seems that Partey is injured again.

Rumours that he didn;t even travel :roll: :banghead:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Arsenal XI: Raya; White, Saliba, Gabriel, Tomiyasu; Rice, Odegaard, Jorginho; Saka, Jesus, Martinelli

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Topside Northbank wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:29 pm
Seems that Partey is injured again.

Rumours that he didn;t even travel :roll: :banghead:

Needs replacing anyway. Should have sold him in the summer and bought a replacement.

Instead, we kept him and bought Havertz. Oh well. :banghead: :banghead:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:58 pm
Arsenal XI: Raya; White, Saliba, Gabriel, Tomiyasu; Rice, Odegaard, Jorginho; Saka, Jesus, Martinelli

Probably about as good as we've got at the moment, although I'd put ESR in midfield instead of Jorginho, but we know that ain't ever happening. I'd actually put Zinchenko in midfield ahead of Jorginho.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Raya in goal again. Bloody hell. In the last three weeks, we've had him kick it straight to the opposition for a goal, kick it off the opposition which nearly ended up in a goal and get lobbed from the touchline. Perhaps tonight, he'll surpass himself and tackle himself and kick it over his own head into his goal.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Apparently Partey has a muscle issue

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Fucking Jorginho again :banghead: :banghead: Guy is totally finished as a to footballer, absolute liability. Xhaka mkII without the goals :banghead: :banghead: