David Raya Thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Midz

Re: David Raya PLEASE! Fuck-Off!

Post by Midz »

At least Raya is only on loan with an option to buy which is better than if we'd paid £30m for him in the summer.

If he doesn't live up to expectations then we can fuck him off back to Brentford and it'll only have cost us £3m ( a lot, I know but hey ho)

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Midz wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:44 pm
At least Raya is only on loan with an option to buy which is better than if we'd paid £30m for him in the summer.

If he doesn't live up to expectations then we can fuck him off back to Brentford and it'll only have cost us £3m ( a lot, I know but hey ho)
Ramsdale will surely push for a move after all this

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:01 pm
Midz wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:44 pm

Ramsdale will surely push for a move after all this
Couldn't blame him.... Thing is $hitty and the Victims have the Best Goalies in the Prem all the others; including Rambo are a level below... After all the hype surrounding Raya when he first came in, I thought he would be a serious Step Up on Rambo but for me (so far) has definitely been a Step Down. :?

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

BBC:

Debate on the Raya and Ramsdale situation...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal

Midz

Post by Midz »

Well done Raya on winning the Golden Glove award 2024.

Reading back through this thread he hasn't had the best reviews but congratulations to him for doing very well in the end. :barscarf:

The thread title seems a bit harsh now, maybe it could be changed?

augie

Post by augie »

He won the Golden Glove cos he has the best centre back partnership in the whole league in front of him - no disrespect to him cos he is a decent keeper, but neither him nor ramsdale are good enough imo

Midz

Post by Midz »

I think you're right, augie. he's made 2 or three very good saves this season but has had very little else to do because of as you said, the partnership in front of him.

gazzatt2

Post by gazzatt2 »

he is an upgrade over Ramsdale
Raya gives confidence to the defence they are much calmer with him in goal

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

I feel a bit sorry for Raya to be honest. He's not top top drawer, in fact those keepers hardly exist in world football at the moment, but he's a very good keeper overall. The whole thing with Ramsdale and Raya at the start of the season caused unbelieveable pressure on both. Under the microscope for everything and the worst thing is, a keepers mistake stands out as he's the last line in defence. Gabriel for instance, has still made quite a few errors this season but has been bailed out by big Willy or Raya most of the time.
The evolution of playing out from the back has changed so much. Before, keepers generally hoofed the ball up the pitch and were judged almost solely on shot stopping and catch balls in the air. That has changed completely as we know. Not many keepers can excel at playing out from the back but I think Raya is one of the best. Just look at Vicario for Sp*rs against City, they were a car crash playing out from the back, Burnley have been relegated mainly because of Kompany's insistence on playing out from the back when his players just aren't good enough to do it.
For me, our CB pairing have been the best not just through individual ability or by working together, I think it's clear they trust the man behind them. That wasn't the case with Ramsdale, who is a nightmare for losing concentration and is a liability in every game potentially and that fear was undoubtedly felt by our defenders.
Arsenal couldn't afford to go and spend 70-80m on a keeper (even if there was one that good available) and I don't think many fans would want them to, there are other areas I'd llke to see strengthened first!!
As a unit, our defence have been excellent excluding LB..........let's hope that Timber excels there next season as that could lift us to another level again.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

TeeCee wrote:
Sun May 19, 2024 7:20 am
I feel a bit sorry for Raya to be honest. He's not top top drawer, in fact those keepers hardly exist in world football at the moment, but he's a very good keeper overall. The whole thing with Ramsdale and Raya at the start of the season caused unbelieveable pressure on both. Under the microscope for everything and the worst thing is, a keepers mistake stands out as he's the last line in defence. Gabriel for instance, has still made quite a few errors this season but has been bailed out by big Willy or Raya most of the time.
The evolution of playing out from the back has changed so much. Before, keepers generally hoofed the ball up the pitch and were judged almost solely on shot stopping and catch balls in the air. That has changed completely as we know. Not many keepers can excel at playing out from the back but I think Raya is one of the best. Just look at Vicario for Sp*rs against City, they were a car crash playing out from the back, Burnley have been relegated mainly because of Kompany's insistence on playing out from the back when his players just aren't good enough to do it.
For me, our CB pairing have been the best not just through individual ability or by working together, I think it's clear they trust the man behind them. That wasn't the case with Ramsdale, who is a nightmare for losing concentration and is a liability in every game potentially and that fear was undoubtedly felt by our defenders.
Arsenal couldn't afford to go and spend 70-80m on a keeper (even if there was one that good available) and I don't think many fans would want them to, there are other areas I'd llke to see strengthened first!!
As a unit, our defence have been excellent excluding LB..........let's hope that Timber excels there next season as that could lift us to another level again.
Very good post Tee Cee.

Raya isn’t up there with Ederson and Allison, but he’s an upgrade on Ramsdale. Mainly, as you correctly say, because he’s calmer and more reassuring for the defenders. One of my complaints about Ramsdale was his manic and chaotic manner, which unsettles the players in front of him. I don’t think the boy is too bright if I’m honest.

Raya’s positioning is better and he’s better coming for crosses, but his lack of height concerns me in an era when most keepers are 6’3” or 6’4”.

He’s not my ideal keeper, but he’s here to stay under Arteta and as you say, we have more pressing needs.

mcdowell42

Re: David Raya Thread

Post by mcdowell42 »

🚨 The pursuit of David Raya was controversial — externally & internally. While nobody had any doubts about Raya’s quality, there was significant debate within Arsenal about allocating more resource to the goalkeeping department, especially in the wake of awarding Aaron Ramsdale a new contract just a few months earlier.

Arteta, however, would not be deterred. Persuaded of Raya’s qualities by goalkeeping coach Inaki Cana, he was bullish in his pursuit of the player.

Arteta’s assistant, Steve Round, was one of those who argued against signing Raya. He felt displacing Ramsdale - popular among players & staff - could disrupt Arsenal’s carefully cultivated culture. That disagreement played a part in Arteta’s decision to dispense with Round.

[@gunnerblog] #afc

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 7:35 pm
🚨 The pursuit of David Raya was controversial — externally & internally. While nobody had any doubts about Raya’s quality, there was significant debate within Arsenal about allocating more resource to the goalkeeping department, especially in the wake of awarding Aaron Ramsdale a new contract just a few months earlier.

Arteta, however, would not be deterred. Persuaded of Raya’s qualities by goalkeeping coach Inaki Cana, he was bullish in his pursuit of the player.

Arteta’s assistant, Steve Round, was one of those who argued against signing Raya. He felt displacing Ramsdale - popular among players & staff - could disrupt Arsenal’s carefully cultivated culture. That disagreement played a part in Arteta’s decision to dispense with Round.

[@gunnerblog] #afc

I've no idea how heated, or even personal the debate may have become, but if it was just a disagreement then to sack Round is worrying. Good management is all about the exchange of ideas and the boss should welcome it. It's perfectly correct that the final decision should lie with Arteta, but I hope that Round didn't get the bullet for simply expressing an alternative view. If he did (and I'm only speculating), then that's the egotistical "Wenger" streak that I've always worried that Arteta possesses. It's ultimately corrosive and will come home to roost. Hope it's not that.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 5:35 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:

[@gunnerblog] #afc

I've no idea how heated, or even personal the debate may have become, but if it was just a disagreement then to sack Round is worrying. Good management is all about the exchange of ideas and the boss should welcome it. It's perfectly correct that the final decision should lie with Arteta, but I hope that Round didn't get the bullet for simply expressing an alternative view. If he did (and I'm only speculating), then that's the egotistical "Wenger" streak that I've always worried that Arteta possesses. It's ultimately corrosive and will come home to roost. Hope it's not that.
Rounds a pillock, good riddance. The mistake was hiring him in the first place!

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

the playing mantis wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 8:34 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

[@gunnerblog] #afc

:lol: :lol:

Fair enough, I know nothing about him.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 8:37 pm
the playing mantis wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 8:34 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

[@gunnerblog] #afc

:lol: :lol:

Fair enough, I know nothing about him.

Oh! Well what comes a round goes a round.