El Tel RIP

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
the playing mantis

El Tel RIP

Post by the playing mantis »

Yes I know a scum manager but think he was actually pretty level headed and never seemed to be one of them per se, and always cane across well as a cheeky London type, better than the crunt redknapp.
Probably best England manager of recent times as well by far along with Robson.

augie

Re: El Tel RIP

Post by augie »

I'll go along with that - yes he was sometimes a bit cocky but he was brave and forward thinking coach who wasnt afraid to go abroad and learn.

Even as an Irishman I enjoyed his euro 96 team and no doubt he was a great manager

RIP El Tel 8)

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

As stated he actually came across as a decent guy

Was heavily linked with becoming our manager prior to George getting the job.

He must have been half decent as he actually won a trophy there too :shock: :shock:

Was George Graham’s best man at his wedding later in the day after an Arsenal v scum derby at Highbury

RIP

subtleasaheadbutt

Post by subtleasaheadbutt »

Hell has a new tenant
Last edited by subtleasaheadbutt on Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

subtleasaheadbutt

Post by subtleasaheadbutt »

Managed the scum and was a bit dodgey in business (allegedly...but that is why England got rid). Again allegedly.
Scum if you are an arsenal supporter or worked with him it seems...
Just because someone died doesnt make them good. Wanker in life...wanker in death

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

subtleasaheadbutt wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:53 am
Managed the scum and was a bit dodgey in business (allegedly...but that is why England got rid). Again allegedly.
Scum if you are an arsenal supporter or worked with him it seems...
Just because someone died doesnt make them good. Wanker in life...wanker in death

Well that was subtle

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Media darling because he liked a soundbite and a microphone. Didn't really achieve much as a manager despite the media constantly repeating the line that he was a brilliant manager. He was probably a bit of a laugh and got on with the players and seemed friendly and approachable to the public but really, he was the Bruce Forsyth of football managers. "Nice to kick it, to kick it, nice. Good game, good game." Then there were the dodgy dealings and tax issues which never really got looked into too much because of his mates in the media.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Hazell was good !

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

RIP Terry, always liked him, came across as a nice guy.

As others have said he managed England at a time that I actually liked watching international football and they played some great football, the best I've seen England play anyway.

I watched a YouTube video of him from the age of 16, a proper football man.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

His old man was a gooner and was best mates with GG, best man at wedding.

As Stuart says had things worked out differently would have been our manager before GG

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

A bit late with this post. Terry was one of a Chelsea side that I would watch when we were playing away. Osgood, Tambling etc. I can't remember. Terry would also join in with us Sunday mornings at regents Park for a kick about. He was a few years older but would always give us advice if we asked. Georgie Armstrong would also usually be there. I think they were good friends. I knew a couple of the Aussie team when he was coaching over here & they loved him - just thought he talked 'funny'. I try not to think about his 'Scum' days.
:barscarf: :barscarf: R.I.P.Terry.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Ray C wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:05 am
A bit late with this post. Terry was one of a Chelsea side that I would watch when we were playing away. Osgood, Tambling etc. I can't remember. Terry would also join in with us Sunday mornings at regents Park for a kick about. He was a few years older but would always give us advice if we asked. Georgie Armstrong would also usually be there. I think they were good friends. I knew a couple of the Aussie team when he was coaching over here & they loved him - just thought he talked 'funny'. I try not to think about his 'Scum' days.
:barscarf: :barscarf: R.I.P.Terry.
yes he cant be too bad as was best mates with the great George Graham