Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

Viv Andersons Tache

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by Viv Andersons Tache »

Arteta manager of the month.

The award panel weren’t unconvinced by him picking his favourites like Vieira (who never ever plays) , resting Ben White and picking Havertz who has scored in each of the last 3 games. They must need their heads examined

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Viv Andersons Tache wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:37 pm

The award panel weren’t unconvinced by him picking his favourites like Vieira (who never ever plays) , resting Ben White and picking Havertz who has scored in each of the last 3 games. They must need their heads examined
Manager of the month! Wow what an achievement.

Fat ange won three of them in a row.

Maybe he can replace arteta

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Trouble is whenever a Manager gets that award / accolade... the team then will often go on a Losing streak... :? Hope I'm sooo Fucxking WRONG. :banghead:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Nick Nack wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:53 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:47 pm
the playing mantis wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:21 pm
wilson2.0 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:21 am
Barcelona sniffing around Arteta again. And why wouldn't they. All you need to do is watch Arsenal games to see how well drilled we are. How good we are set up tactically.

The prevailing sentiment that Arteta should be sacked and we 'give someone else a go' has to be one of them most self-sabotage means of thinking ive seen in a long time. Some of the names that people have dropped to replace Arteta with are utter mental. Namely that fraud in Brighton who couldn't set up a chess board let alone a football defence. Please Liverpool go for De Zerbi after Xabi rejects you for Bayern.
It's ok just admit it you find de zerbi handsome.

No one has mentioned him in an age but you.

And thr barca nonsense, much like your swivel eyed rants about klopp signing martinelli...

:lol:
There does appear to be an strange obsession with De Zerbi.

Someone included him in a list of probably 10+ names of potential managerial replacements and "bang" that was it, Wilson has been off on one about the bloke ever since. It's as though De Zerbi has been constantly touted by all of us as the guy that Arteta MUST be replaced with. :lol:
I've only been on here a few months and can't say that I've seen anyone mention de Zerbi, except Wilson.
It's like some kind of teen gay obsession :gayflag:
I don't think De Zerbi is a teenager mate! :D

Nick Nack

Post by Nick Nack »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:33 pm
Nick Nack wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:
wilson2.0 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:21 am
Barcelona sniffing around Arteta again. And why wouldn't they. All you need to do is watch Arsenal games to see how well drilled we are. How good we are set up tactically.

The prevailing sentiment that Arteta should be sacked and we 'give someone else a go' has to be one of them most self-sabotage means of thinking ive seen in a long time. Some of the names that people have dropped to replace Arteta with are utter mental. Namely that fraud in Brighton who couldn't set up a chess board let alone a football defence. Please Liverpool go for De Zerbi after Xabi rejects you for Bayern.

And thr barca nonsense, much like your swivel eyed rants about klopp signing martinelli...

Someone included him in a list of probably 10+ names of potential managerial replacements and "bang" that was it, Wilson has been off on one about the bloke ever since. It's as though De Zerbi has been constantly touted by all of us as the guy that Arteta MUST be replaced with. :lol:
I've only been on here a few months and can't say that I've seen anyone mention de Zerbi, except Wilson.
Couldn't tell, me glasses were all steamed up :shock: :oops:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:51 pm

It's comical really, the attempts at wumming that nobody buys. The all-knowing award panel have made Arteta Manager of the Month (quite justifiably) , so we should all hang our heads in shame for daring to harbour doubts about the Basque genius. It really is schoolboy level stuff.

We saw it last season, the usual suspects coming on here telling us how we'd all be eating our words following our disloyal criticisms of Arteta and even Xhaka ffs, only for them all to disappear when we imploded as usual. They never learn, so back they come like cultists, blowing their fanboy trumpets and believing any criticism of the club, manager, or players is heresy.

Everyone on here desperately wants us to batter every other side and win every trophy available, but to think that must exclude any critical analysis is a fucking juvenile mindset. In fact, it's those of us who most badly want success who tend to be the critics. I've always longed to see the Arsenal once again as the team of the 30s, winning trophies year after year and carrying all before them. It's never happened in my lifetime and on the two or three occasions that building that legacy might have been possible (early 70s, early 90s, Wenger's early years), the club/manager got it wrong. I've seen Liverpool of the 70s and 80s do it and Fergie's Utd (I wont include the paid for success of the Chavs and City, because for me it doesn't carry the same honourable weight) and I want to see the Arsenal do it, both domestically and in Europe. I want us to be spoken of in the same breath as R Madrid, Barca, Bayern, Juve, Milan and yes, Liverpool and Utd. That's where we ought to be and wanting that so fucking badly makes me as critical as I am.

So Viv, Nutty, Wilson etc, you'll see us all cheer long and loud when the time is right and when the doubts that have haunted us for almost 20 years are properly laid to rest. Forgive us for not putting the bunting out over a Manager of the Month award.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:14 pm
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:51 pm

It's comical really, the attempts at wumming that nobody buys. The all-knowing award panel have made Arteta Manager of the Month (quite justifiably) , so we should all hang our heads in shame for daring to harbour doubts about the Basque genius. It really is schoolboy level stuff.

We saw it last season, the usual suspects coming on here telling us how we'd all be eating our words following our disloyal criticisms of Arteta and even Xhaka ffs, only for them all to disappear when we imploded as usual. They never learn, so back they come like cultists, blowing their fanboy trumpets and believing any criticism of the club, manager, or players is heresy.

Everyone on here desperately wants us to batter every other side and win every trophy available, but to think that must exclude any critical analysis is a fucking juvenile mindset. In fact, it's those of us who most badly want success who tend to be the critics. I've always longed to see the Arsenal once again as the team of the 30s, winning trophies year after year and carrying all before them. It's never happened in my lifetime and on the two or three occasions that building that legacy might have been possible (early 70s, early 90s, Wenger's early years), the club/manager got it wrong. I've seen Liverpool of the 70s and 80s do it and Fergie's Utd (I wont include the paid for success of the Chavs and City, because for me it doesn't carry the same honourable weight) and I want to see the Arsenal do it, both domestically and in Europe. I want us to be spoken of in the same breath as R Madrid, Barca, Bayern, Juve, Milan and yes, Liverpool and Utd. That's where we ought to be and wanting that so fucking badly makes me as critical as I am.

So Viv, Nutty, Wilson etc, you'll see us all cheer long and loud when the time is right and when the doubts that have haunted us for almost 20 years are properly laid to rest. Forgive us for not putting the bunting out over a Manager of the Month award.
You forgot to mention de zerbi. Shame on you!

herbert

Post by herbert »

Retro

You didn't support the Arsenal so you could be a critic on them did you? There were other reasons I hope :D

We have to win the league to get to where you and I and everyone else wants us to be so get right behind them and fingers crossed

1 in 3 chance ,every game like a cup final,COYG

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

herbert wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:12 pm
Retro

You didn't support the Arsenal so you could be a critic on them did you? There were other reasons I hope :D

We have to win the league to get to where you and I and everyone else wants us to be so get right behind them and fingers crossed

1 in 3 chance ,every game like a cup final,COYG

Well Herbert, supporting the Arsenal wasn't a choice, it was a family thing. From my earliest memory there was nothing else.

As for being a critic, I think you've missed the entire point of my post. Never mind.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Nick Nack wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:11 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:33 pm
Nick Nack wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:

Couldn't tell, me glasses were all steamed up :shock: :oops:

I know what you mean. :D

Natural Born Gooner

Post by Natural Born Gooner »

Retro Gunner wrote:

I think this is nail on the head and actually the bolded bit is a sad indictment on us as a club, that we've rich in a history of winning trophies, but apart from the 30's haven't dominated English football that a club of our name and stature should have, especially as we are the biggest and most successful club in the biggest city in Europe/the world.

It pissed us off that we never got to dominate in the 89-91's with a young and hungry team, it pissed us off that Man U were always there to beat us to a title (and makes us love their demise even more now), it pissed us off Chelski were allowed to buy all their trophies, and now it's pissing us off that Citeh can just cheat their way to domination. Why can't we get that sustained period of domination?

I'm sure if this forum was about in Wengers early years in the late 90'/early 2000's there'd have been posters (including me) bemoaning missed opportunities and throwing out advice to the manager for playing Vivas, Diawara or any other sub par player back then when they weren't good enough and questioning his tactics. That team from 98-2005 should have won 2/3 more titles, (including 2 doubles and a 2004 treble) at a minimum and a couple of CL's :cry:

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

Natural Born Gooner wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:02 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:

I think this is nail on the head and actually the bolded bit is a sad indictment on us as a club, that we've rich in a history of winning trophies, but apart from the 30's haven't dominated English football that a club of our name and stature should have, especially as we are the biggest and most successful club in the biggest city in Europe/the world.

It pissed us off that we never got to dominate in the 89-91's with a young and hungry team, it pissed us off that Man U were always there to beat us to a title (and makes us love their demise even more now), it pissed us off Chelski were allowed to buy all their trophies, and now it's pissing us off that Citeh can just cheat their way to domination. Why can't we get that sustained period of domination?

I'm sure if this forum was about in Wengers early years in the late 90'/early 2000's there'd have been posters (including me) bemoaning missed opportunities and throwing out advice to the manager for playing Vivas, Diawara or any other sub par player back then when they weren't good enough and questioning his tactics. That team from 98-2005 should have won 2/3 more titles, (including 2 doubles and a 2004 treble) at a minimum and a couple of CL's :cry:
It’s really hard to comprehend let alone accept when we beat Leicester to crown that season as Invincibles that we wouldn’t win the league again ( up to now )
That Leicester who get relegated would actually win it before we did. :rubchin: :banghead:

herbert

Post by herbert »

Retro Gunner wrote:

Which is ok as long as you find the same energy to write the words praising them when it is going ok

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

herbert wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:49 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:

Which is ok as long as you find the same energy to write the words praising them when it is going ok

I didn’t get the memo Herbert, when were you given the job of policing the posts on here? I’ll tell you what’s ok, it’s ok for people to post whatever opinions they want on here and it’s also ok for others to challenge them.

Anyway, I assume you’ll be on here slating the club/manager/underperforming players if the wheels come off again, although I don’t recall you doing that last season. Has to work both ways mate.

As I said earlier, everyone on here wants us to win every trophy available, but people are entitled to express their opinions if there are glaring reasons why we’re falling short.

Viv Andersons Tache

Post by Viv Andersons Tache »

Retro Gunner wrote:

It's comical really, the !attempts at wumming that nobody buys. The all-knowing award panel have made Arteta Manager of the Month (quite justifiably) , so we should all hang our heads in shame for daring to harbour doubts about the Basque genius. It really is schoolboy level stuff.

I have to say I don’t really find myself bemoaning the fact we had to endure vivas and diawara 20 years on and typically remember the better times with the amazing players during the period.

I think your post is a good one with a lot of truth but really ignores the unfortunate truths we have to live with as gooners.

If I had to say about my time supporting Arsenal there are a few observations. One quite rightly as you say we have had few moments of domination which is an irritation to me however if I look at all our title winning sides in my lifetime we always had 11 great players with 2 other players in the squad at the level required. We’ve never had a powerhouse squad built for domination like united had when they had kanchelskis and others on the bench or city have grealish on the bench etc etc hope you get what I mean. We’ve never really had the funds to spend on a squad of 20 that could compete in 4 competitions so as a lifelong Arsenal fan I kind of understand that but it irritates however I don’t feel the need to lambast the manager for the conditions they have to work in. If we are honest it’s not on them.

I think a lot of these things are financial which the managers like George, Arsene and Mikel can’t affect. Doesn’t mean it hasn’t irritated me less but it’s just the club and our finances. (Just posted a loss)

Do you think Arteta looks at his squad and chooses to keep Eddie (can’t trap a ball), Nelson (blind alley) and Elneny (wouldn’t get a game at Luton) ….. he doesn’t he just doesn’t, He ain’t stupid that’s just the card he’s dealt so he has to suck it up. So lambasting him after he’s broke a premiership record and wins manager of the month seems a little daft. I understand the frustration, we deserve a break and our time is overdue but there’s no point burning everything forever because of it.