Cheaty C.UNTS vs THE Arsenal A Sun March 31st 16:30. Prem.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SteveO 35

Re: Cheaty C.UNTS vs THE Arsenal A Sun March 31st 16:30. Prem.

Post by SteveO 35 »

Wildly varying opinions about this game, both on here and in the media.

The glass half empty says they had a patched up defence and we didn't do enough to try and win the game, the glass half full says its a defensive masterclass and keeps us ahead of them in the table.

I'm more leaning towards 'half full'. This is a team undefeated at home in 38 games (33 wins, 5 draws) and who haven't been stopped from scoring in all that time and more. A team who regularly dishes out hammerings at their place, certainly to us. My criticism of the latter years Wenger teams was that we went out and played our same old football whether it was Barcelona in the Nou Camp, or Shrewsbury at home in the League Cup. The end result? 8-2 at Man Ure, 6-0 at Chavski, 10-2 v Bayern, 5-1 v Liverpool, 6-3 v City and and and and....... Emery for all his good work wasn't unable to prevent us getting wiped out at Anfield, and Arteta's record against City before this season was garbage. So for me it is absolutely refreshing to see us able to go to the best team in the world, and take a different approach and one that didn't end in an absolute rinsing. One shot on target from them takes immense defensive know how and concentration and Haaland has now had 3 games against us this season and not managed one shot on goal. Last season he pulled our pants down, as did De Bruyne, Grealish and many others. We stood up to them physically and I find that especially pleasing having lacked spine for so many years. Seeing Gabriel in Mong Boy's face was reminiscent of vintage Keown!

The game was a borefest as a result - but sometimes you've got to take that. Liverpool were less than convincing against Brighton too - there's points to be dropped from them too.

A good point and a defensive display to be proud of away to a big club - words that were barely mentioned in the past decade or so

augie

Post by augie »

I still stand by my assertion that if there were 19 league games left then yes we can walk away happy with the point, but with only 9 league games left in the season, and a third challenger winning in the earlier game, then settling for a draw wont win us the league

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

augie wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:10 am
I still stand by my assertion that if there were 19 league games left then yes we can walk away happy with the point, but with only 9 league games left in the season, and a third challenger winning in the earlier game, then settling for a draw wont win us the league
Job done against the title challengers - beaten them both at home, drew with them both away. It won't be those results which cost us if we don't win the league. It will be the back to back defeats against West Ham and Fulham over Xmas when we went from 1st to 3rd in a few days. 8 points from 12 against the top teams is unheard of for us in 20 odd years

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:57 am
augie wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:10 am
Job done against the title challengers - beaten them both at home, drew with them both away. It won't be those results which cost us if we don't win the league. It will be the back to back defeats against West Ham and Fulham over Xmas when we went from 1st to 3rd in a few days. 8 points from 12 against the top teams is unheard of for us in 20 odd years
yes TBH its a great turnaround.....remember those defeats against chavs and man utd away.....have never got over that 8-2 ...sickening

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

The only low mark for me on Sunday was Saka's performance. It was very clear from the outset that he wasn't fit enough to play - unlike Martinelli, Odegaard and the rest of the attack minded players, he wasn't closing anyone down, or adding anything when he had the ball. What's worse was that he was in danger of being the one player doing something costly when defending to cost us the game. I spent all of the time he was on the field yelling at the TV, desperate for him to be taken off but watched sub after sub before eventually he was hauled. Not hating on him, but it was abundantly clear that whatever kept him out of the international games hadn't cleared up. Would be sorely tempted to leave him out of this Luton game - surely we can cope without him for the visit of a team conceding 3 per game in their last 10 on average

Viv Andersons Tache

Post by Viv Andersons Tache »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:16 am
The only low mark for me on Sunday was Saka's performance. It was very clear from the outset that he wasn't fit enough to play - unlike Martinelli, Odegaard and the rest of the attack minded players, he wasn't closing anyone down, or adding anything when he had the ball. What's worse was that he was in danger of being the one player doing something costly when defending to cost us the game. I spent all of the time he was on the field yelling at the TV, desperate for him to be taken off but watched sub after sub before eventually he was hauled. Not hating on him, but it was abundantly clear that whatever kept him out of the international games hadn't cleared up. Would be sorely tempted to leave him out of this Luton game - surely we can cope without him for the visit of a team conceding 3 per game in their last 10 on average
Agree but the drop off is huge. Play nelson away at city ? I don’t think martinelli can operate from that flank. It’s irritating but as long as he’s moderately fit he plays. Let’s be honest he’s our most likely match winner. Luton is different. I would be tempted to just rest him at any cost and play Jesus there

We have to bring in a player in the summer to cover the position. It’s been an issue for the last 2 seasons

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Since the winter break, we've played 9, won 8, drew 1, scored a massive 32 goals while conceding a miserly 4.

The draw was away at the current league and European champions, a ground where we've been dicked time and time again in past seasons in a game where we limited them to just one attempt on target all game resulting in them failing to score for the first time in 58 home games.

City, with all their attacking threat, have scored zero league goals against us this season and we've 4 points from 6 against them (as we do against Liverpool). I don't expect us to get run over in the big games anymore, there was a time I would dread shipping 3s and 4s at every game away to the big guns but that's the biggest improvement I see in this team, they'll take no shit anywhere.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

rodders999 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:36 am
Since the winter break, we've played 9, won 8, drew 1, scored a massive 32 goals while conceding a miserly 4.

The draw was away at the current league and European champions, a ground where we've been dicked time and time again in past seasons in a game where we limited them to just one attempt on target all game resulting in them failing to score for the first time in 58 home games.

City, with all their attacking threat, have scored zero league goals against us this season and we've 4 points from 6 against them (as we do against Liverpool). I don't expect us to get run over in the big games anymore, there was a time I would dread shipping 3s and 4s at every game away to the big guns but that's the biggest improvement I see in this team, they'll take no shit anywhere.
Exactly....and having that feeling probably now goes back at least 10 years, maybe more like 12-15. When Maureen was in charge of the Chavs I gave on any hope Wenger would ever have taking a point from them. Then we made United look like gods of the game whether it was Ferguscum, Agent Moyes, Van Gaal or anyone and Anfield and the Etihad became haunting grounds too. Fuck me, even the Scum went a decade unbeaten at home to us! Still, time and time again, Lord C.nutchops would rock up with the same old tactics and after 30 mins the stadium was full of the song "Arsene Wenger, we want you to stay".

I actually shudder when I think of the extent of the damage that fucker did in his last 10 years. As I tire of telling his fanboys, he did as much damage in those ten as he did good in the first 12. The whole losing, weak as piss mentality we have had to this present day (which may hopefully be going now) has been engrained in the club owing to his "4th is a trophy" shit, tippy tappy "illusionary domination" bollocks and excuse after excuse about the handbrake and fucking special circumstances! It has taken a whole generation to finally (hopefully) get rid of that bottlejob tag, and like the England football team, the present team are weighed down by the consistent failure of those that trod before them.

I always said that the City game was the start of the answer to the question as to whether we have moved on. Almost exactly the same time last year we got battered - wide open, weak as piss - and it started the slump that saw even shit like Southampton and Forest take points from us. The difference between that 1 point gained, isn't so much the point itself, its hopefully the belief it instills

xgtdec

Post by xgtdec »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:27 pm
rodders999 wrote:

Exactly....and having that feeling probably now goes back at least 10 years, maybe more like 12-15. When Maureen was in charge of the Chavs I gave on any hope Wenger would ever have taking a point from them. Then we made United look like gods of the game whether it was Ferguscum, Agent Moyes, Van Gaal or anyone and Anfield and the Etihad became haunting grounds too. Fuck me, even the Scum went a decade unbeaten at home to us! Still, time and time again, Lord C.nutchops would rock up with the same old tactics and after 30 mins the stadium was full of the song "Arsene Wenger, we want you to stay".

I actually shudder when I think of the extent of the damage that fucker did in his last 10 years. As I tire of telling his fanboys, he did as much damage in those ten as he did good in the first 12. The whole losing, weak as piss mentality we have had to this present day (which may hopefully be going now) has been engrained in the club owing to his "4th is a trophy" shit, tippy tappy "illusionary domination" bollocks and excuse after excuse about the handbrake and fucking special circumstances! It has taken a whole generation to finally (hopefully) get rid of that bottlejob tag, and like the England football team, the present team are weighed down by the consistent failure of those that trod before them.

I always said that the City game was the start of the answer to the question as to whether we have moved on. Almost exactly the same time last year we got battered - wide open, weak as piss - and it started the slump that saw even shit like Southampton and Forest take points from us. The difference between that 1 point gained, isn't so much the point itself, its hopefully the belief it instills
Even more so id argue, he had the makings of a great team when he arrived and left an absolute desolate pile of shite when he left, someone on here used to have the signature and im paraphrasing here but " losing 8-2 to Utd means anything you've ever done counts for nothing"

The fact he wasnt shown the door after repeated drubbings similar to that wont reflect well on that serpent Gazidis and co as years go by.

Wonga will go down in my book as an absolute fraud who pretended to build a stadium single handedly whilst in reality destroying a once great club.

Thankfully things did get so so bad that the inevitable had to happen......just 7-10 years after the fact.

If you needed a reminder about what an utter prick wonga is......here he is giving it socks about trying to sign odegaard when he was 15.......If wonga doesnt get credit...NOBODY gets credit!!!!!

https://metro.co.uk/2024/04/02/arsene-w ... -20571689/

And back to the current thread :) i would sniff at a point away to city, compared to the latter wonga years of being embarrassed everywhere we went i'll take a point every time against whats widely considered an elite level team......and Kyle Walker.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

xgtdec wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:40 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
rodders999 wrote:

Even more so id argue, he had the makings of a great team when he arrived and left an absolute desolate pile of shite when he left, someone on here used to have the signature and im paraphrasing here but " losing 8-2 to Utd means anything you've ever done counts for nothing"

The fact he wasnt shown the door after repeated drubbings similar to that wont reflect well on that serpent Gazidis and co as years go by.

Wonga will go down in my book as an absolute fraud who pretended to build a stadium single handedly whilst in reality destroying a once great club.

Thankfully things did get so so bad that the inevitable had to happen......just 7-10 years after the fact.

And back to the current thread :) i would sniff at a point away to city, compared to the latter wonga years of being embarrassed everywhere we went i'll take a point every time against whats widely considered an elite level team......and Kyle Walker.
Very true mate - he inherited a great back four and then raided France for its golden generation whilst morons like Stuart Pearce wet themselves silly about Stan Collymore, and where people wanted us to sign Jason McAteer instead of PV4!

Roll forward to what Emery inherited - and this is why I cut him a lot more slack than most - which was basically a bunch of paperweight losers who couldn't defend if their lives depended on it. The defenders in Wenger's last season were Debuchy, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Holding, Monreal, Mustafi, Chambers, Bellerin, Mavropanos, Kolasinac. Yet, Emery was expected to shit miracles with £40m to transform that rag bag bunch of losers. How many of them would you put in our present defence or the one Wenger inherited from Rioch/GG? Koscielny as a squad player, likewise Nacho? The rest of them, absolutely for the scrapheap and yet that lot between them played all of our league games as recently as six years ago, and its taken all the time since to build something credible. The fraud has so much to answer for. Throw in the fact he signed most of those c.unts up on deals beyond their wildest dreams and you see the extent of the damage

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Arteta Interview on Cheaty game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guueuOOtIgw

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:48 pm
xgtdec wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
rodders999 wrote:

Very true mate - he inherited a great back four and then raided France for its golden generation whilst morons like Stuart Pearce wet themselves silly about Stan Collymore, and where people wanted us to sign Jason McAteer instead of PV4!

Roll forward to what Emery inherited - and this is why I cut him a lot more slack than most - which was basically a bunch of paperweight losers who couldn't defend if their lives depended on it. The defenders in Wenger's last season were Debuchy, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Holding, Monreal, Mustafi, Chambers, Bellerin, Mavropanos, Kolasinac. Yet, Emery was expected to shit miracles with £40m to transform that rag bag bunch of losers. How many of them would you put in our present defence or the one Wenger inherited from Rioch/GG? Koscielny as a squad player, likewise Nacho? The rest of them, absolutely for the scrapheap and yet that lot between them played all of our league games as recently as six years ago, and its taken all the time since to build something credible. The fraud has so much to answer for. Throw in the fact he signed most of those c.unts up on deals beyond their wildest dreams and you see the extent of the damage
Stepanovs at CB.... FFS :banghead: :banghead:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

xgtdec wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
rodders999 wrote:

If you needed a reminder about what an utter prick wonga is......here he is giving it socks about trying to sign odegaard when he was 15.......If wonga doesnt get credit...NOBODY gets credit!!!!!

https://metro.co.uk/2024/04/02/arsene-w ... -20571689/

Agreed Dec, I'll never forgive the old fucker for what he did to our club, nor the board for willingly allowing him to do it. SteveO is generous in my opinion wirh his first 12 years idea, because the rot had set in by 2006 (yeah, I know we almost won the CL that year, but 05-06 we were poor in the league) and he should have been shown the door at the end of the 2006/07 season. It was clear to me then that he was washed up and that he'd never challenge for top honours again. The fact that he was allowed to hang around managing a chronic decline until 2018 is beyond shocking. As SteveO says, it looks as though we're only now emerging from that decline (not counting my chickens yet, the scars are too deep) and it's why I was happy with the performance and result at City.