Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

SteveO 35

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by SteveO 35 »

Viv Andersons Tache wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:54 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:50 pm
I'm afraid today brings back all the same questions - has he got what it takes when it really matters

He's done better than I thought he was, but we're now becoming Arsene's XI reincarnated from any of the years 2008-17. Nice football when the pressure's off. Soft as shit, weak as piss when it matters most.
Come on Steve we’re all disappointed about the result but this is daft. We bear no semblance to Wengers Alzheimer’s period. Out of the last 10 matches we’ve won 8 drew 1 and only lost 1 whilst scoring 26 goals. Thats only bettered by 1 side in the country city and we have the best defence in the league. Our form is great just the margins are so thin now and slip ups will happen. Also we have took 4 points this season from city and Liverpool in the league. That isn’t a side bottling big occasions. Just went wrong yesterday.
I think the problem is the way it happened, and when its happened mate. All through this season I've said that we will never really know if there's been progress until April. In the second half yesterday, it honestly looked like any game from the same stage last year and in many Wenger years. It felt like Brighton last season as someone else has said. Anyone can lose a game, especially against a top 4 team who are brilliantly coached and well organised. If we'd dominated and lost 0-1 to an incredible or fluke goal, I get it. What I saw was the complete mental breakdown of the team in the second half - behind on every statistic. Out passed, out fought, out played. After an hour I said to my lad "is this 12 men versus 10", so comprehensively outplayed were we. I'm afraid that brings back all the "gripped by fear" memories of the second half of Wenger's reign. If the team bounce back and roar into form, I'll be the first to say I'm wrong but it just looked like everything that has gone before

Viv Andersons Tache

Post by Viv Andersons Tache »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:05 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
I'm afraid today brings back all the same questions - has he got what it takes when it really matters

He's done better than I thought he was, but we're now becoming Arsene's XI reincarnated from any of the years 2008-17. Nice football when the pressure's off. Soft as shit, weak as piss when it matters most.
Come on Steve we’re all disappointed about the result but this is daft. We bear no semblance to Wengers Alzheimer’s period. Out of the last 10 matches we’ve won 8 drew 1 and only lost 1 whilst scoring 26 goals. Thats only bettered by 1 side in the country city and we have the best defence in the league. Our form is great just the margins are so thin now and slip ups will happen. Also we have took 4 points this season from city and Liverpool in the league. That isn’t a side bottling big occasions. Just went wrong yesterday.
I think the problem is the way it happened, and when its happened mate. All through this season I've said that we will never really know if there's been progress until April. In the second half yesterday, it honestly looked like any game from the same stage last year and in many Wenger years. It felt like Brighton last season as someone else has said. Anyone can lose a game, especially against a top 4 team who are brilliantly coached and well organised. If we'd dominated and lost 0-1 to an incredible or fluke goal, I get it. What I saw was the complete mental breakdown of the team in the second half - behind on every statistic. Out passed, out fought, out played. After an hour I said to my lad "is this 12 men versus 10", so comprehensively outplayed were we. I'm afraid that brings back all the "gripped by fear" memories of the second half of Wenger's reign. If the team bounce back and roar into form, I'll be the first to say I'm wrong but it just looked like everything that has gone before
I didn’t really view the game as similar to the mess in games v Brighton and saints last year.

Thought villa played a savvy game. We had a great first half and they were restricted to one break away but somehow missed so many chances that cost us dearly. Then we got caught in the last ten minutes and had to over commit forward to compensate. The players looked dead on their feet in the 2nd half but honestly the replacements coming on like Eddie and ESR really don’t fill me with any confidence their omission from the line up is a mistake.

It wasn’t a mental breakdown or we “bottled it” etc etc We lost a football match. Thats all and the truth is it’s not happening a lot these days.

I think some of us including myself are still mentally and emotionally scarred by the 2nd part in the wenger tenure. Some of the worst no shows, bottle jobs and performances you will ever see. The club should be funding cognitive behavioural therapy for all the fans affected by watching a decade of that stuff.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:44 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:05 am
SteveO 35 wrote:

I didn’t really view the game as similar to the mess in games v Brighton and saints last year.

Thought villa played a savvy game. We had a great first half and they were restricted to one break away but somehow missed so many chances that cost us dearly. Then we got caught in the last ten minutes and had to over commit forward to compensate. The players looked dead on their feet in the 2nd half but honestly the replacements coming on like Eddie and ESR really don’t fill me with any confidence their omission from the line up is a mistake.

It wasn’t a mental breakdown or we “bottled it” etc etc We lost a football match. Thats all and the truth is it’s not happening a lot these days.

I think some of us including myself are still mentally and emotionally scarred by the 2nd part in the wenger tenure. Some of the worst no shows, bottle jobs and performances you will ever see. The club should be funding cognitive behavioural therapy for all the fans affected by watching a decade of that stuff.
If its a one off against a good team we will find out when we play a bang average Wolves team next up. If we see players who have been super consistent like Rice, Odegaard, Gabriel and Saliba all gripped by fear again, we will well and truly know. Much was made of the Saliba loss last season and a reason as to why it would be different this season, but ironically he has been shocking in the last 2 matches. Odegaard was the best player on the field in the first 45 mins, but anonymous in the second half. Time will tell but last seasons team and all those Wenger teams couldn't mentally respond to a result like yesterday's and we won't know until Wolves

augie

Post by augie »

I love all this rotation bollox excuses - rotation is when you start smith-rowe, or tommy or portugese pussy, not what we had yesterday. Yesterday we had a stubborn out of his depth c.unt squeezing his favourite players into his starting team - they were in it before injuries took them out of it and then lo and behold we went on a good run, but as soon as he starts all 3 we hit the shitter AGAIN :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Viv Andersons Tache

Points dropped in 2024:

Arsenal - 5pts
Man City - 6pts
Liverpool - 7pts

City are bottling it. Pep needs to be fired. :lol:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:15 pm
Points dropped in 2024:

Arsenal - 5pts
Man City - 6pts
Liverpool - 7pts

Said nobody ever - lets revise the figures at the end of April and hope that we are still ahead of that leaderboard

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Points dropped in 2024:

Arsenal - 5pts
Man City - 6pts
Liverpool - 7pts

You can twist things as much as you like but the fact is the league is played over a season and not a calendar year.
Since the start of the season we have lost 5 matches and City just 3. City currently have 2 more points than us.

You play your best team in matches like yesterday, so you start Havertz up front and Kiwior at LB. It really isn’t that difficult.
The managers that make it more complicated generally are not elite level managers.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Points dropped in 2024:

Arsenal - 5pts
Man City - 6pts
Liverpool - 7pts

Pep has won 5 pl titles and just off a treble.

You keep comparing lad

augie

Post by augie »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:31 pm
Points dropped in 2024:

Arsenal - 5pts
Man City - 6pts
Liverpool - 7pts

Pep has won 5 pl titles and just off a treble.

You keep comparing lad

This c.unt is pure click bait spouting nonsense to get reactions :roll:

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

augie wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:04 pm
Elite coach my bollox - schooled by emery AGAIN today :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
You must have been creaming yourself to post that.

Just to prove I am half glass full, yesterday's result sits firmly at Arteta's door. You could even argue a bit of naivety and tactical nous was missing yesterday. He got away with the first half, that's when he should have changed things.

That still doesn't detract from what he has done since joining the club. I would rather be in title races than scraping around the Conference/Europa League.

Viv Andersons Tache

Gunner Rob wrote:
Points dropped in 2024:

Arsenal - 5pts
Man City - 6pts
Liverpool - 7pts

You can twist things as much as you like but the fact is the league is played over a season and not a calendar year.
Since the start of the season we have lost 5 matches and City just 3. City currently have 2 more points than us.

You play your best team in matches like yesterday, so you start Havertz up front and Kiwior at LB. It really isn’t that difficult.
The managers that make it more complicated generally are not elite level managers.
It isn’t twisting anything it’s a fact but claiming a manager is not elite when the teams form is certainly comparable to our competitors is silly.

Mad how people have slept on yesterdays game & have woken up still on the Arteta out train. He’s slated when he rotates and slated when he doesn’t by our firestick fanbase.

A single league defeat in 4 and a half months and suddenly he needs to be sacked because he isn’t elite.

Give your heads a wobble, Arteta isn’t going anywhere.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Points dropped in 2024:

Arsenal - 5pts
Man City - 6pts
Liverpool - 7pts

I was going to compare this team to Wenger's Calendar Year Champions of 2013! Finished 2012-13 in great form (apart from the key matches against the big clubs), then started the following season on fire, only to fail dismally towards the very end again. Maybe we'll have the Calendar Year Champions 2024 when we start next season strutting our stuff again, but whether they win an actual trophy is now massively doubtful

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:44 pm
augie wrote:
Elite coach my bollox - schooled by emery AGAIN today :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Just to prove I am half glass full, yesterday's result sits firmly at Arteta's door. You could even argue a bit of naivety and tactical nous was missing yesterday. He got away with the first half, that's when he should have changed things.

That still doesn't detract from what he has done since joining the club. I would rather be in title races than scraping around the Conference/Europa League.
Good points Nutty. I agree Arteta has improved us. But I think where we differ is you see him taking us to the top and I think he has found his level of being top 4 but not a major trophy winner. For me it's time to say thanks and goodbye.

Unless he wins the CL. Then it's a job for life! :lol: :wink:

augie

Post by augie »

nut flush gooner wrote:
augie wrote:

Buddy read back on yesterday's match thread (and the bayern one as well) and you will see that in both cases I refrained from posting during the game when others were losing their shit, and I waited over an hour after the game had ended in the hope that I might calm down, so I was far from racing in to stick the boot in. I can converse or debate with someone like you no problem cos while you may be more on the optomistic side that I am (who isnt :wink: ), you have also been willing to be critical in the past when you feel it merits it. What I cannot abide is absolute bollox being spouted by wum's who can see no wrong or are just looking to provoke a reaction.
Reality is that at the top level elite coaches win trophies and this guy doesnt do that - yes he won an fa cup but the irony is that he won an fa cup with the team he inherited from emery and since spending £700m he has won the same amount as you and I. People talk about making us contenders again, but to me being contenders for three quarters of a season before shitting the bed two seasons in a row makes us pretenders not contenders. Do you not think that after spending 700m being contenders is the very least we should expect ? It isnt as though the cone boy has taken over a mid table club and asked to win the league with signings from small clubs like stoke and wimbledon like GG did is it ?
You correctly point out tactical nous and naivity as factors yesterday and also that he should have made changes at half time, but arent all those things we have said about the cone boy before ? In game management is a disaster with him, and as bad as his team selection was, how the fcuk zinchenko lasted 85 mins is beyond me :shock: :shock: I dont like to see fans turning on players as a rule (swiss c.unt is the exception), but it was clearly audible on the tv how frustrated the fans were every time zinchenko was on the ball yesterday, and yet the arrogant cock left him out there determined to show that he is the king of all he surveys :roll:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:05 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
augie wrote:

Buddy read back on yesterday's match thread (and the bayern one as well) and you will see that in both cases I refrained from posting during the game when others were losing their shit, and I waited over an hour after the game had ended in the hope that I might calm down, so I was far from racing in to stick the boot in. I can converse or debate with someone like you no problem cos while you may be more on the optomistic side that I am (who isnt :wink: ), you have also been willing to be critical in the past when you feel it merits it. What I cannot abide is absolute bollox being spouted by wum's who can see no wrong or are just looking to provoke a reaction.
Reality is that at the top level elite coaches win trophies and this guy doesnt do that - yes he won an fa cup but the irony is that he won an fa cup with the team he inherited from emery and since spending £700m he has won the same amount as you and I. People talk about making us contenders again, but to me being contenders for three quarters of a season before shitting the bed two seasons in a row makes us pretenders not contenders. Do you not think that after spending 700m being contenders is the very least we should expect ? It isnt as though the cone boy has taken over a mid table club and asked to win the league with signings from small clubs like stoke and wimbledon like GG did is it ?
You correctly point out tactical nous and naivity as factors yesterday and also that he should have made changes at half time, but arent all those things we have said about the cone boy before ? In game management is a disaster with him, and as bad as his team selection was, how the fcuk zinchenko lasted 85 mins is beyond me :shock: :shock: I dont like to see fans turning on players as a rule (swiss c.unt is the exception), but it was clearly audible on the tv how frustrated the fans were every time zinchenko was on the ball yesterday, and yet the arrogant cock left him out there determined to show that he is the king of all he surveys :roll:
Similarly I don't hate CliveChenko. I just think he is a shit footballer, but he doesn't pick himself. His selection is down to the manager.

I've only ever truly hated one Arsenal player while they actually played for us and that is Lobotomy Clive Xhakatard and I hated him not because he was a shit player but because he was a cùnt. A fucking idiotic braindead race card dropping entitled fucking piece of shit cùnt.