Villa vaginas H Sun 14th April KO 430pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Redarmy

Re: Villa vaginas H Sun 14th April KO 430pm

Post by Redarmy »

Viv Andersons Tache wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:12 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:59 pm
Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:56 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:52 pm
Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:21 pm
First loss in 10. This seems very apt today with the reaction

‘If you can't support us when we lose or draw, don't support us when we win”

― Bill Shankly
I've warned you before about the WUMing. That post is a complete WUM post to try and provoke a negative reaction from lads on here that have supported this club through thick and thin for decades, in some cases for 40 to 50 years. They just haven't done it dressed up as a blind sheep superfan. Who do you think you are to question that?

That's your last warning mate. Show some respect to the other members on here, do not question their loyalty, and cop on.
Sorry my intention isn’t to irritate. There’s been some decent posts on the subject today (Rodders, steve0) that I’ve said were good.

I’m no super fan was just a reminder to keep the faith. :barscarf:
No one here needs to be reminded to support their team. Supporting a team is more than just blind belief though. And any fan that has spent the kind of money most on here have spent over decades of support, is entitled to be angry when a supposedly elite manager and highly paid players shit the bed.
Hey I get it. I’ve spent a fortune following the club all over the place. Poxy friendlies overseas where half the team don’t even bother to turn up. Everyone is entitled to their view. I’m still hacked off about yesterday. The manager did make mistakes `(Vieira instead of ESR ) but a football match was lost that’s all. However DB I feel it very appropriate to offer a counter opinion on behalf of the fans who are fully behind this team and manager at this time because some of the opinions here are extreme so please don’t attack me for voicing my opinion.
Thats telling...heres another quote...

"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I can assure you it is much more important than that"

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

One of the biggest problems with our fanbase is that they over estimate the abilities of both our players and manager. There are so many deluded fans who convince themselves that Arteta is a tactical genius but to me, he has spent 700 million to improve but we will never win either a CL or PL under him. I always expect us to bottle it when the pressure really comes on(and we always do). It's still incredible to me that he thought it was acceptable to go with Jesus and Eddie as our attacking options this season and at the same time he spends 65 million on Havertz. The way things are going it will be back to Wenger times, in which top 4 finishes are our lot for the season :suicide:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

DB10GOONER wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

― Bill Shankly
I've warned you before about the WUMing. That post is a complete WUM post to try and provoke a negative reaction from lads on here that have supported this club through thick and thin for decades, in some cases for 40 to 50 years. They just haven't done it dressed up as a blind sheep superfan. Who do you think you are to question that?

That's your last warning mate. Show some respect to the other members on here, do not question their loyalty, and cop on.
Sorry my intention isn’t to irritate. There’s been some decent posts on the subject today (Rodders, steve0) that I’ve said were good.

No one here needs to be reminded to support their team. Supporting a team is more than just blind belief though. And any fan that has spent the kind of money most on here have spent over decades of support, is entitled to be angry when a supposedly elite manager and highly paid players shit the bed.
Hey I get it. I’ve spent a fortune following the club all over the place. Poxy friendlies overseas where half the team don’t even bother to turn up. Everyone is entitled to their view. I’m still hacked off about yesterday. The manager did make mistakes `(Vieira instead of ESR ) but a football match was lost that’s all. However DB I feel it very appropriate to offer a counter opinion on behalf of the fans who are fully behind this team and manager at this time because some of the opinions here are extreme so please don’t attack me for voicing my opinion.
Viv, I'll never attack anyone for voicing an opinion. I only object if it is intended to provoke a negative reaction from other posters. I like to hear both sides of an argument personally. And we've always tried to welcome the more positive posters. But don't confuse positivity with loyalty.

All I ask is you post your opinion without questioning others loyalty because they disagree with your viewpoint.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

We took 4 points from 6 from both city and Liverpool this season, a massive improvement on seasons past - it’s well wide of the mark to cal us flat track bullies.

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

rodders999 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:18 pm
We took 4 points from 6 from both city and Liverpool this season, a massive improvement on seasons past - it’s well wide of the mark to cal us flat track bullies.
That was what most on here stated marked out progress - being competitive In the big matches that count.

This season we have stepped up in those, sadly away v Fulham and home v West Ham will be our down fall
(in addition to home and away defeats to Villa)

Like last season, stupid points thrown away are going to cost us dearly. baring a very unlikely City capitulation

augie

Post by augie »

rodders999 wrote:

I would think that flat track bullies has also been used in the past to describe a team that wins when there is no pressure on but fall apart when pressure is at its peak ? We def fit that description

augie

Post by augie »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:39 pm
rodders999 wrote:
That was what most on here stated marked out progress - being competitive In the big matches that count.

This season we have stepped up in those, sadly away v Fulham and home v West Ham will be our down fall

Like last season, stupid points thrown away are going to cost us dearly. baring a very unlikely City capitulation

Dont do it to yourself Stuart - city dont do capitulations so dont even think about it, but regardless the victims would be the ones to take advantage if they slipped up not us cos they have easier run in

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Step wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:35 am
Fully agree with the above. I've been questioning Arteta's thinking for ages.
- Tierney on loan (surely a more reliable option to the /Citeh cast off)
- Raya a better keeper than England's number 2? Not in my book
- Being praised for getting rid of Aubameyang having battled for months to keep him (vastly increasing his wages into the bargain).
- Retaining Leno over Martinez who had performed brilliantly that season in the FA Cup and was clearly a class act.
- The wisdom of snapping up two Citeh cast offs. There is a reason why they didn't want to retain. Both good for the initial 6 months but now a liability.
- The refusal to give Smith Rowe a fair run in the team. We can see his potential. Arteta cannot. It was the same with Martinelli. He only played him initially when he had no other option. We could see his qualities long before Mikel. If we're not careful we will end up losing Smith Rowe and he will blossom elsewhere.
- You could argue that Arteta sets his teams up according to who we are playing (often poorly) but he has an inability to change the tactics mid game. Subs are always like for like and often he looks at Nketia or Nelson for the late winner when neither are prolific in the goal scoring department. Bayern an embarrassing case in point. A totally naive performance against fade European masters.
- Whilst I agree that Havertz has an important role to play he was not only out of position v Villa but also appeared totally knackered and was left on far too long. Fully agree with Merse re Jesus. Use as an impact player not from the start.
- England have a squad capable of winning the Euros and a manager who is not. We have a similar situation. The boss is not up to it.
- I always felt we were hasty in getting rid of Unai. He is a real tactician and quite simply put Arteta in his place yesterday. It was the perfect away performance. Let's not forget they hit the woodwork twice too.
- Expect a brave initial start against Bayern on Wednesday but the same old story. Ineffective finishing and a comfortable Bayern win.
- Arteta out of his depth IMO.

Well said Step.

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

DB10GOONER wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

― Bill Shankly

It is upon this reason we are so upset, sir. We are just as ‘fully behind’ Arsenal as you, and your ‘Arteta in’ ilk are. You ‘supporting’ the current manager and his way of running the club does not make you any more or less of supporter than those who are disillusioned by his premiership over a yearly capitulation - be it a charge for the title or top four, since he has been in charge.

Arteta is not saintly, neither is your opinions on him. You are not attacked, and neither are your opinions. They are criticised just as is Arteta. Just because we find them, and he, shit does not me we are attacking you! You are as free to disagree and change and he is; and Lord may he do so.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

― Bill Shankly

No one has a pop at you for voicing your opinion, it's your deliberate disingenuous goading, straw man comments and passive aggressive remarks that pisses people off.

Say what you think and preferably justify it with evidence, that's what the forum should be about, but the rose tinters tend to be the ones that get snarky about those with different opinions.

Challenge opinions for sure...I'll definitely be challenging yours....but when you can't accept the flaws in your argument being highlighted, that generally means your opinions are on shaky ground.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

I was obviously typing that when ATID's post went up. Great minds and all that. 8)

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

augie wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:45 pm
rodders999 wrote:

I would think that flat track bullies has also been used in the past to describe a team that wins when there is no pressure on but fall apart when pressure is at its peak ? We def fit that description
I don’t know Augie, I mean there was just as much pressure to win last time out at Brighton (maybe even more so with it being a tough away game) and yet we wiped the floor with them.

A few weeks back away at city, again another huge pressure game and we limited them to the square root of fuck all for 90 mins.

We’ve been in must win territory since January and done really well so I just think it’s too simplistic to say we bottled it or we’re flat track bullies on the back of one (admittedly) shocking 45 minutes.

If we collapse all the way in before beating Everton 7 nil in a Steveo spunk fest frenzy then the knives will be out but some of the slaughtering the team have gotten today has been unfair in my opinion - and I say that as someone who stuck the boot in yesterday in the match thread when I was having a mild nervous breakdown.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

rodders999 wrote:
Personally, I don't think so, rodders. As augie says we collapse when the pressure is on but look world class at times when there is no pressure. For me that's a flat track bully.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:39 pm
rodders999 wrote:

True. But the assumption was we would start to step up in those matches but without then dropping points against the lesser teams.

It seems we can lift our game in spurts. We can go on great runs of form. But top teams and certainly champions do more than that, they also dig deep and grind out the results when it matters, when the pressure is on. Not having a pop at you here Stuart, I know you know this as you are old school, you've seen the old GG teams show real character.

For me that ability to dig deep and grind out results comes initially from the manager. He picks the players with character and then he works on making them even stronger. I don't think Arteta has that in him. I think he can maybe make them better technical footballers, but he seems to dislike really strong personalities and has an inability to teach players what it takes to be winners. I don't think he can instill that winners mentality.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

rodders999 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:52 pm
augie wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:45 pm
rodders999 wrote:

I don’t know Augie, I mean there was just as much pressure to win last time out at Brighton (maybe even more so with it being a tough away game) and yet we wiped the floor with them.

A few weeks back away at city, again another huge pressure game and we limited them to the square root of fuck all for 90 mins.

We’ve been in must win territory since January and done really well so I just think it’s too simplistic to say we bottled it or we’re flat track bullies on the back of one (admittedly) shocking 45 minutes.

If we collapse all the way in before beating Everton 7 nil in a Steveo spunk fest frenzy then the knives will be out but some of the slaughtering the team have gotten today has been unfair in my opinion - and I say that as someone who stuck the boot in yesterday in the match thread when I was having a mild nervous breakdown.
The way I see it us it was huge news when palarse beat the victims*. There was so much speculation and pressure put on the players, could they do it, could they take advantage and go back top, that they felt it more than at any time previously this season. It was real pressure, the kind we do not stand up to.

Also, if we look at that first half I think we were poor in that we could not finish at all. It wasn't just the second 45 minutes when we had completely gone psychologically, we felt the pressure in the first 45 and could not get the job done despite playing some nice football. We were also lucky that two of their shots that hit the woodwork were not goals as on any other day they would both gone in off.