Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

IW8Goalmachine

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:09 am
Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:04 am
wilson2.0 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:45 am
People need to realise beating Peps Man City over 38 games is the hardest hurdle in football right now. If Man City are to win it this yeah, Pep would have won the league 6 out of 8 seasons. Only beaten by Klopp and Conte. You need to factor in Conte won in Pep's first year, before Pep had drilled the City team in his image. If you make that adjustment, he has won 6 out of 7.

People mention Inzaghi winning Serie A. Basically meaning Inzaghi has beaten out AC Milan who are second in Serie A. Now go and have a look at AC Milan's squad and tell me why Inzaghi is to be marvelled out. Ten Hag won the Dutch league twice - why the fuck I should care Tan Hag beat PSV? Why they fuck should I care that Inzaghi beat AC Milan?

When people say Arteta cant 'get it over the line', were talking about the highest the line has been in English football. No other team has dominated the league like City has under Pep. He is considered to be the greatest of all time. There is no one better.

Arteta has taken us from banter era to challenging the City juggernaut. If Arteta tenure as manager coincided when City had a Mancini or Pellegrini, it would be a very different story.

Most people don't even have an idea of who they would like to replace Arteta, all they know is they want Arteta out.
And another one brainwashed by the hype of the Premier League (which I think is generally pretty weak this season actually).
In the 17 years from 1973 Liverpool won the league 11 times out of 17 and only once finished out of the top 2, not to even mention what they achieved in Europe. That is proper domination for you. Yes City are maybe getting there but they have only won the Champions League once, even Forest have a better record than them in that.

Considering the amount of money Pep has at City he wouldnt even figure in my top 10 of greatest managers

Your not trendy and hip not putting Pep in your top 10 managers of all time. Your mental.
At barcelona he inherited the greatest generation of footballers.

He then left and when to the European champions who were also treble winners. He said to the board to sign neymar for a ridiculous amount and they said no. He then proceeded to turn a team that was ripping their rivals apart with free flowing football to shite tiki taka.

When he couldn't achieve European glory at Munich he left for the richest club on the planet.

1. Inherited a once in a lifetime generation
2. Left for the treble winning European champions
3. Moved to the richest club on the planet.

Not a chance is he the greatest.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:23 am
Viv Andersons Tache wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:13 am
Imagine thinking a guy who is setting records for us needs to be sacked. :D it’s impossible to comprehend.
Yeah records!! That's what it's all about lads!!

Maybe we can win a treble record this season.

Take that city! You keep your trophies.

Klopp isn't an outstanding manager

Hey IW8, don't forget the calendar year trophy....we're well on course for that. Well, at the moment anyway......

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:34 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:05 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:44 pm
augie wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:04 pm
Elite coach my bollox - schooled by emery AGAIN today :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
You must have been creaming yourself to post that.

Just to prove I am half glass full, yesterday's result sits firmly at Arteta's door. You could even argue a bit of naivety and tactical nous was missing yesterday. He got away with the first half, that's when he should have changed things.

That still doesn't detract from what he has done since joining the club. I would rather be in title races than scraping around the Conference/Europa League.
Good points Nutty. I agree Arteta has improved us. But I think where we differ is you see him taking us to the top and I think he has found his level of being top 4 but not a major trophy winner. For me it's time to say thanks and goodbye.

Unless he wins the CL. Then it's a job for life! :lol: :wink:
Go on then, name a replacement.

Thats what I thought.
I'd advise you to pull your neck in mate. I don't usually respond to your posts because you understand nothing about football. You are the pigeon playing chess. I only read your posts because I have to as the only mod on here and I have to check you dont post anything libellous etc. But if you keep posting to provoke a negative reaction I will shitcan you in a blink of an eye. Almost all the regulars are sick of your repeated nonsensical posts.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:33 am
Really poor team selection. Cannot comprehend why he deviated from what has made us so good in 2024. As soon as I saw the line up I started to worry. Haavertz is a false 9, and Zinchenko has been left behind (really is time to sell him).

As for the those piling in on Arteta. Its still Man City 73, Arsenal 71, Liverpool 71. If your upset because were not 10 point ahead of Pep's Man City team, and want a manager who can do that - guess what, they dont exist. Not Cunte, not De Dopi, not Allegshit. Its hard to win the league, its hard to keep us consistent performances.

So before anyone thinks about climbing under the rock to start with thier Arteta out shit again. Just dont alright. Because most of you start waffling when I ask about who would you replace him with.
Get a grip ffs. :roll: :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:37 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:38 pm
Get fucking rid. No top manager has so many blind spots with shit players. Lobotomy Clive all last season and before - and then CliveChenko this season. No idea how to manage in game. Elite my bollocks. :roll:
Xabi Alonso no good then? Just because you dont like a player personally, doesnt mean they are shit.
Who the fuck mentioned Alonso? If you mean Xhaka, he was and is shit. You unfortunately know nothing about football and cannot see past your Arsenal and Klopp posters on your wall. Learn about the game and then post on here. You are so far out of your depth mate it isn't even funny anymore.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

wilson2.0 wrote:
People need to realise beating Peps Man City over 38 games is the hardest hurdle in football right now. If Man City are to win it this yeah, Pep would have won the league 6 out of 8 seasons. Only beaten by Klopp and Conte. You need to factor in Conte won in Pep's first year, before Pep had drilled the City team in his image. If you make that adjustment, he has won 6 out of 7.

People mention Inzaghi winning Serie A. Basically meaning Inzaghi has beaten out AC Milan who are second in Serie A. Now go and have a look at AC Milan's squad and tell me why Inzaghi is to be marvelled out. Ten Hag won the Dutch league twice - why the fuck I should care Tan Hag beat PSV? Why they fuck should I care that Inzaghi beat AC Milan?

When people say Arteta cant 'get it over the line', were talking about the highest the line has been in English football. No other team has dominated the league like City has under Pep. He is considered to be the greatest of all time. There is no one better.

Arteta has taken us from banter era to challenging the City juggernaut. If Arteta tenure as manager coincided when City had a Mancini or Pellegrini, it would be a very different story.

Most people don't even have an idea of who they would like to replace Arteta, all they know is they want Arteta out.
You've now basically posted this exact post about thirty times on here. That is WUM behaviour. Mix it up or I will ban you for WUMing. The entire forum is sick of your carry on. Get a grip. And I'm sick of reading complaints about you.

augie

Post by augie »

So there we have it - teams have worked out that we no longer play fast balls to our wingers or for them to run onto, so they are able to squeeze up and negate us tactically.

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/sports/footba ... ec9e&ei=54

Hard to believe that a so called elite coach can be so easily negated, but if someone like me can easily identify the lack of pace to our gameplan (I have been saying this since odeargod came into the team), it was never gonna be long before opposition managers based their gameplan around it. Trossard has been a great signing imo but he hasnt blistering pace by any means. Jesus offers zero threat in behind cos he is too busy coming deep or pissing off out to the wings crowding saka and martinelli. Havertz offers zero threat in behind cos he has zero pace :roll: Saka has/had pace and a lot of it, but never seems to use it to take on his man anymore :? Martinelli is the one pacy threat but his performances this season have not been up to the standards of last season

Anyway our tactics are too slow and too tippy tappy and teams have wised up to how to negate us - I'm sure our elite coach has a plan in place already :wink:

Reno Gooner

Post by Reno Gooner »

I would actually love to see Pep at a club, where he has money to spend, but not unlimited money. I don't think he would be quite the GOAT some people think he is.

The one thing he does understand, which Arteta doesn't, is that you have to have a world class striker to win titles. He bought Jesus when Aguero's time was coming to an end and then promptly got rid when he saw he wasn't up to it. Then he did whatever was needed to land Haarland. His understudy bought the striker that wasn't up to it and he's still with us :? :?

What is it with us that we buy all the shit that Chelsea and City have to offload??Why hasn't it sunk in that our rivals are not going to sell us players who will make us better???

I think it's an ego thing. Arteta and Wenger think that they can get out of players what others can't. Not one player we bought from Chelsea worked out, nor from City.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Reno Gooner wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:36 pm
I would actually love to see Pep at a club, where he has money to spend, but not unlimited money. I don't think he would be quite the GOAT some people think he is.

The one thing he does understand, which Arteta doesn't, is that you have to have a world class striker to win titles. He bought Jesus when Aguero's time was coming to an end and then promptly got rid when he saw he wasn't up to it. Then he did whatever was needed to land Haarland. His understudy bought the striker that wasn't up to it and he's still with us :? :?

What is it with us that we buy all the shit that Chelsea and City have to offload??Why hasn't it sunk in that our rivals are not going to sell us players who will make us better???

I think it's an ego thing. Arteta and Wenger think that they can get out of players what others can't. Not one player we bought from Chelsea worked out, nor from City.
Agreed 100%. It's so obvious though that it really surprises me that some people cannot see it.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:48 am
wilson2.0 wrote:

You've now basically posted this exact post about thirty times on here. That is WUM behaviour. Mix it up or I will ban you for WUMing. The entire forum is sick of your carry on. Get a grip. And I'm sick of reading complaints about you.
I've come to enjoy it actually! Stockholm syndrome of sorts...give him a break db..please no ban hammer until the name calling starts, I will do a rodders and implode my briefs when the cock pussy line finally gets a play and the board get mentioned once the mask fully slips!

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

the playing mantis wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:36 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:48 am
wilson2.0 wrote:

I've come to enjoy it actually! Stockholm syndrome of sorts...give him a break db..please no ban hammer until the name calling starts, I will do a rodders and implode my briefs when the cock pussy line finally gets a play and the board get mentioned once the mask fully slips!

:rubchin:

Uhhhmmm ! So are you saying the gloves can't come off, till the mask comes off?

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

falkirk goon wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:39 pm
Did anyone see his presser when asked why he played Trossard instead on Martinelli.."because I am the manager and I pick the team" Arrogant prick..it was like Wenger behind a mask..I wish to fuck the journo had asked about the Ukrainian duds inclusion..
I would say Trossard has been in better form than Martinelli, scored some important goals recently, just so happened he missed the one guilt edged chance we had to take the lead.
Last edited by Stuart L (2) on Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:10 am
Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:55 am
Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:23 am
Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:13 am
Imagine thinking a guy who is setting records for us needs to be sacked. :D it’s impossible to comprehend.

Brought us from a 10th place side to one competing for a title and playing for a space in a champions league semi final. Just look at where we were when he started to where we are now.

Klopp an outstanding manager only won the title once and needed a perfect run to do it. Are we really this fickle these days where we are making Liverpool fans look perfectly pragmatic compared to us. They must be cracking up at some of this stuff.

Also critically it’s patently obvious to anyone who watches Arsenal even from afar that this isn’t the culmination of the project yet. We aren’t done yet.
this is absolute nonsense.
you continually make out that we were this small struggling Premier League club when Arteta took over.

you seem to forget that even in the latter days of Wenger he was still actually winning trophies and doing ok in the league.

2014 FA Cup Winners
2015 FA Cup Winners
2016 Premier League Runners Up
2017 FA Cup Winners

This is Arteta's 5th season at Arsenal.
Since winning the FA Cup (with Emery's inherited team) he has won nothing, although to be fair we competed last season and finished 2nd.

The record he set last season though will be the one he will be most remembered for up until now - the record of being the team which spent the longest at the top of the table.....but didnt actually win it.
How hard is to understand ? We’ve had to gradually improve the squad season by season. When Ljungberg left his role he told the board to sell most of the squad as they had a shocking attitude.

He didn’t take over a side that had finished 2nd we were way down the league.

We were a mess at the start and there’s no harm admitting it. A complete rebuild was always going to be required which would take a while. Or do you believe in those early Arteta years we were going to win titles with Sokratis, Mustafi and Pepe. We had some of the worst players I recall in an Arsenal squad.

A few pots are required but there’s no point in burning the house down whilst we see continual progress.
Areteta took over in December 2019, a few months after Emery had taken the club to 5th in the Premier League and runners up in the Europa League.
Most people on here were embarrassed by the shit show of a performance in that Europa Final, I wouldn’t laud that as an achievement

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:42 am
wilson2.0 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:33 am
Really poor team selection. Cannot comprehend why he deviated from what has made us so good in 2024. As soon as I saw the line up I started to worry. Haavertz is a false 9, and Zinchenko has been left behind (really is time to sell him).

As for the those piling in on Arteta. Its still Man City 73, Arsenal 71, Liverpool 71. If your upset because were not 10 point ahead of Pep's Man City team, and want a manager who can do that - guess what, they dont exist. Not Cunte, not De Dopi, not Allegshit. Its hard to win the league, its hard to keep us consistent performances.

So before anyone thinks about climbing under the rock to start with thier Arteta out shit again. Just dont alright. Because most of you start waffling when I ask about who would you replace him with.
Get a grip ffs. :roll: :lol:

Well actually, I'm quite keen on giving the job to De Zerbi.

:lol: :wink:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:39 pm
Reno Gooner wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:36 pm

Agreed 100%. It's so obvious though that it really surprises me that some people cannot see it.

Expecting to compete with our rivals by buying their cast-offs. It's fucking baffling that anyone would think that's a good idea.

Of the City transfers, it was the Jesus signing that pissed me off the most. I thought that Zinchenko would be an additional squad player, who i thought was pretty useful technically. I didn't realise the inverted bollocks was part of the plan, nor did i realise that he would be an absolute liabilty.

However, Jesus was never going to be the goalscorer that we needed. Myself and Reno on here (probably others too) were screaming about it at the time and I got into a minor spat with someone (can quite remember who) who was insisting that his record was good and that he'd be a success for us. I said he'd get a maximum of 12 league goals, but he's nowhere near that and wouldn't be regardless of injuries. He's not a natural goalscorer and misses far more than he scores. Both these signings need to be cut loose in the summer, but will Arteta have the humility to do it? I doubt it.

As for the Chav signings, fuck me, what a disaster. A roll call of complete duds, the latest German version being as bad as any. Still, he's here for the long haul I'm afraid. :(