Villa vaginas H Sun 14th April KO 430pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: Villa vaginas H Sun 14th April KO 430pm

Post by DB10GOONER »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:06 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:01 pm
Stuart L (2) wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:39 pm
rodders999 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:18 pm
We took 4 points from 6 from both city and Liverpool this season, a massive improvement on seasons past - it’s well wide of the mark to cal us flat track bullies.
That was what most on here stated marked out progress - being competitive In the big matches that count.

This season we have stepped up in those, sadly away v Fulham and home v West Ham will be our down fall
(in addition to home and away defeats to Villa)

Like last season, stupid points thrown away are going to cost us dearly. baring a very unlikely City capitulation
True. But the assumption was we would start to step up in those matches but without then dropping points against the lesser teams.

It seems we can lift our game in spurts. We can go on great runs of form. But top teams and certainly champions do more than that, they also dig deep and grind out the results when it matters, when the pressure is on. Not having a pop at you here Stuart, I know you know this as you are old school, you've seen the old GG teams show real character.

For me that ability to dig deep and grind out results comes initially from the manager. He picks the players with character and then he works on making them even stronger. I don't think Arteta has that in him. I think he can maybe make them better technical footballers, but he seems to dislike really strong personalities and has an inability to teach players what it takes to be winners. I don't think he can instill that winners mentality.
I also saw a GG team lose at home to Derby, then draw with Wimbledon ( both at home ) to look like they had bottled big time their chance of the league title - to turn it around the following week at Anfield.

As reigning Champions I was also at Wrexham to witness us losing to a team that had finished in 92 place in the footballing pyramid.

Oh and Wenkers glorious double team of 98, needed penalties to get past Port Vale in the cup !

We do appear at times, to have that old Achilles heel of playing good football without taking our chances.
Yesterday was disappointing different from my perspective in that other than Trossards guilt edge chance that I still can’t believe stayed out :shock: Villa created far more than we did, scored 2, hit the post twice and generally out run and outfought us in the second half.

We lost so many 50/50’s and Villa were able to pick the ball up in the final third and turn and run at us as Rice had been pushed forward and no protection was there.

Villa are a good side, but we let them outplay us, we were flat, looked leggy, while they were missing 2/3 first choice players in particular in midfield but that was where they won the game remarkably.

I think maybe we focus far too much on the technical side of the game, the detailed patterns of play , that look great when they come off, but only come off every now and then.

Villa played out from the back and despite our press, they looked reasonably composed and comfortable doing so, while we often got the ball to Saka coming into our half, with his back to where he wants to go, a man tight up his backside, resulting in a Villa turnover.

Not once in that second half did I feel we were going to score.

Really disappointing, really flat, particularly given the scouse result.
And you also saw that 89 GG team play and win possibly the single most high pressure game in the league's history on 26 May 1989. But the two teams are not comparable. That 89 team got lazy and cocky against Wimbledon and Derby, it wasn't pressure that nearly caved them in, it was arrogance.

But the difference is that they could raise their game and respond to real pressure, extreme pressure. Go to anfield and win by two clear goals? No one bar George believed we could do it. And that man and those players did it. They stepped up like men when it mattered most.

This current lot fold at the merest whiff of pressure. Two seasons running, after a superb run each time they have bottled it exactly when it mattered most, when the pressure was really on.

Yes, they play some superb football when there is no pressure and Arteta and the players get deserved credit for a brilliant run of wins, but ultimately for me that's what the likes of tottnumb and wet sham and Newcastle do every other season. That's what the also rans do. A club the size of the Arsenal with our pedigree, our glorious history, and our wealth, should not be also rans every season.

I'm not saying we should win the league every season but no title in 20 years? People blame most of that rightly on Wenger, but let's not forget at the end of this season the guts of 5 of those years were under Arteta, and he spent over £700million not winning the league to boot!

And now with Arteta's limited in game management skills and known blind spots I can't see us winning it while he is manager. He's done well to get us to where we are but he is not equipped or experienced enough to take us up a notch and win major trophies.

I'm not happy saying that, but I believe it from my experience of playing and watching football for over 40 years. Somethings are just obvious to me. I'd also love to be wrong as I liked and rated Arteta as a player for us and would love to see him succeed and of course I aways want Arsenal to win no matter who the manager is. I don't get caught up in slavish cult of personality blinkered views where the manager or any player can do no wrong because they are at Arsenal. If they can't deliver I want them gone.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Jaysus, sorry about the novel there, lads. :oops: :lol:

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Football has changed. City have destroyed any notion of a competitive title fight. It’s not normal to have to win pretty much 15 games on the trot to win a League. We didn’t need to do that vs Fergie and even the Invincibles didn’t do it. We got 90 points that season and won the league comfortably. Yes we are bottlers but coming up against a juggernaut who have a squad that can be rotated with no real drop off in quality is not a fair fight. Pressure will always get to you when you have no margin for error. We were crap vs Villa but their 2nd goal came from us trying to win the game. What would have been wrong with a draw in any other league other than one with City in it. It’s bent and it’s fucked English football.

Thynker

Post by Thynker »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:39 pm
Football has changed. City have destroyed any notion of a competitive title fight. It’s not normal to have to win pretty much 15 games on the trot to win a League. We didn’t need to do that vs Fergie and even the Invincibles didn’t do it. We got 90 points that season and won the league comfortably. Yes we are bottlers but coming up against a juggernaut who have a squad that can be rotated with no real drop off in quality is not a fair fight. Pressure will always get to you when you have no margin for error. We were crap vs Villa but their 2nd goal came from us trying to win the game. What would have been wrong with a draw in any other league other than one with City in it. It’s bent and it’s fucked English football.
A squad that lost Gundogan, Mahrez and someone else I can't remember. Could even afford to sell Cole Palmer and De Bruyne barely played all season.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:39 pm

To be honest Bob, while you're right, it's not the point here. I'm pissed off...and I'm far from alone...because of the self-harm. I doubt any of us expect to beat City to the title and ending up a very close second, or even 3rd if we're within touching distance, wouldn't be unacceptable. I said the other day that if you can look at the team and manager and believe they've given everything possible, then fair enough, we can't ask for more.

What I can't excuse is having a very good side and improving so many aspects of the club, but undermining it by making Xhaka one of your main men and when he goes and we all breath a sigh of relief, Arteta then signs Kai Havertz and not the striker that the whole world knows we need. Then add to that the fucking about with a winning team to make room for the losers Jesus and Zinchenko and once again, we shoot ourselves in the foot. That's fuck all to do with City and everything to do with a manager and his sub-standard favourites and his blind spots. Arteta cost us the game on Sunday, at a time when we could have gone top and put pressure back on City. As good as they are, they aren't super human and are perfectly susceptible to pressure themselves. What we do is make it easy for them.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:34 pm
Jaysus, sorry about the novel there, lads. :oops: :lol:
Gotta get it out of yiur system somehow!

Any more books done?!

Edit in case it came across as a serious p take! Actually now I'm not sure it even was db who wrote a book

augie

Post by augie »

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

When Wenger fucked off, I thought the days of pet projects was over but Arteta's obsession with squeazing in a shit player like Zinchenko any chance he gets would make Wenger proud :roll:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

BFG4 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:23 am
When Wenger fucked off, I thought the days of pet projects was over but Arteta's obsession with squeazing in a shit player like Zinchenko any chance he gets would make Wenger proud :roll:
i love oleks??? what the fuck is that....tried to like arteta but shit like this makes it very difficult

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

For fuck’s sake. :banghead: :banghead:

Sheer fucking ego. Just like the Old Fraud, Mkll can’t be wrong. It will be his undoing.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Probably means that he will be starting tonight.

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:12 am
For sure he won't be told :cry: That cock starts we lose by at least a couple.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:12 am

Or if he wasn't before he will be now FFS!

All of us want Arteta to Succeed (even Augie) Because If he Succeeds It Means Arsenal Succeed and so All Us Gooners will be deliriously happy celebrating. But FFS as much as we want him to be a success; for the stated reasons, as long as he continues to employ and play the likes of (first) xhaka and now zinchenko how are we supposed to trust and believe in his 'Judgement' as a Manager of the team we all Love ?

Next he'll be trying to change water into wine, walk on water and score the greatest goal the prem has ever seen!! And we all know that Only Dennis Bergkamp is capable of that.