other matches this weekend

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Stuart L (2)

Re: other matches this weekend - Sean Dyche appreciation thread!

Post by Stuart L (2) »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 6:59 am
The London manager of the year hasn't actually beaten a London rival yet.
Special circumstances mate

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

augie wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 6:44 am
Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 11:33 pm
Our not winning the PL is our fault, not anyone else’s. Beat Villa at home and we win it, simple.

We fucked oursselves, and that’s that.

No doubt you are 100% correct, BUT I argued that playing for a draw against citeeh would not win us the league - teams going all out to win the league have to go out to win all their games (not gung ho mind), and playing for a draw gave us a moral victory but no wiggle room in the title push. The fat spanish waiter cost the murdering scousers a league many moons ago playing not to lose, but moving to 3pts for a win should have changed all that. If we played citeeh away back in first half of the season I could understand and accept playing not to lose, but in the title run in we needed to win imo
yes ....Artetas main concern was not to loose to city....i think we had enough of a chance to win there....that said....if we had beaten villa :banghead:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Our not winning the PL is our fault, not anyone else’s. Beat Villa at home and we win it, simple.

Think that’s a harsh narrative to be fair. So because we lost 1 game in 5 months it’s our fault we didn’t win the league? That’s not going to be easily rectified next season if the only way to achieve success is perfection or bust over that time frame.

Cheaty do this every season, they win the last 17/18 games in a row to win the league and nobody else can live with that pace.

There was a run of seasons where Liverpool tried to put it up to them and the rigours of it have now completely broken the team and manager. You just have to look back at the time they lost one game all season, finished on 97 points and still didn’t win it!!

In 2022 the victims won 18 of their last 19 games and it wasn’t enough (sound familiar?).

The only time they pipped them was the covid asterisk season where all sorts of bizarre results were happening with no crowds. City lost 9 league games that season, they haven’t lost 9 league games combined in all the seasons since FFS.

City are a machine, they’ll grind you down win after win after win. Teams chasing them know it’s win or die every single week for months and sooner or later they’ll break trying to keep pace. The run we’ve been on since Christmas and the run from the victims I referenced above is the only time another team in this legaue have tried to match them win for win and the outcome will be the same - runners up.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Redarmy wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 7:23 am
augie wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 6:44 am

No doubt you are 100% correct, BUT I argued that playing for a draw against citeeh would not win us the league - teams going all out to win the league have to go out to win all their games (not gung ho mind), and playing for a draw gave us a moral victory but no wiggle room in the title push. The fat spanish waiter cost the murdering scousers a league many moons ago playing not to lose, but moving to 3pts for a win should have changed all that. If we played citeeh away back in first half of the season I could understand and accept playing not to lose, but in the title run in we needed to win imo
yes ....Artetas main concern was not to loose to city....i think we had enough of a chance to win there....that said....if we had beaten villa :banghead:
If Jesus was any good we would have won that game.

I think was saka that cut it across goal but our city reject was in the completely wrong position.

subtleasaheadbutt

Post by subtleasaheadbutt »

I Unai fan boys are fondling themselves over this thought.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 7:20 am
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
It just shows how shite the awards are

OneBardGooner

Re: other matches this weekend thread

Post by OneBardGooner »

Okay DB... Time to remove the Sean Dacha Appreciation but form the main heading, especially if it comes down to the wire and we need to beat the Toffee's at Home in the last game to 'you know'... :wink: :wink: nudge nudge Not gonna say it as I don't want to Jinx it.

anyway I think it is about time for any reference to the Cum Gargler to be removed don't you?!

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

rodders999 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 7:50 am

Think that’s a harsh narrative to be fair. So because we lost 1 game in 5 months it’s our fault we didn’t win the league? That’s not going to be easily rectified next season if the only way to achieve success is perfection or bust over that time frame.

Cheaty do this every season, they win the last 17/18 games in a row to win the league and nobody else can live with that pace.

There was a run of seasons where Liverpool tried to put it up to them and the rigours of it have now completely broken the team and manager. You just have to look back at the time they lost one game all season, finished on 97 points and still didn’t win it!!

In 2022 the victims won 18 of their last 19 games and it wasn’t enough (sound familiar?).

The only time they pipped them was the covid asterisk season where all sorts of bizarre results were happening with no crowds. City lost 9 league games that season, they haven’t lost 9 league games combined in all the seasons since FFS.

City are a machine, they’ll grind you down win after win after win. Teams chasing them know it’s win or die every single week for months and sooner or later they’ll break trying to keep pace. The run we’ve been on since Christmas and the run from the victims I referenced above is the only time another team in this legaue have tried to match them win for win and the outcome will be the same - runners up.
Agreed - it was lost over Christmas. Dropped from 1st to 3rd and out of the FA Cup all in a week. Losing 1 game in 2024 isn't the issue. We had Eddie and Jesus playing up front over that period, and couldn't score if our lives depended on it. The hate that gets poured on Havertz is unreal - he's been part of the uptick, and those two goons have been fucking hopeless

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 8:26 am
Stuart L (2) wrote:
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Indeed, in a similar vein, we have not had 1 single player win Barclays player of the month this season

But we are all just paranoid ……aren’t we ?

Stuart L (2)

Post by Stuart L (2) »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 9:53 am
rodders999 wrote:

Agreed - it was lost over Christmas. Dropped from 1st to 3rd and out of the FA Cup all in a week. Losing 1 game in 2024 isn't the issue. We had Eddie and Jesus playing up front over that period, and couldn't score if our lives depended on it. The hate that gets poured on Havertz is unreal - he's been part of the uptick, and those two goons have been fucking hopeless
Im pretty sure city can look back on a couple of games they didn’t win and say “ should have won that “

but I agree Fulham away ( we took the lead , Fulham at home ( they equalised very late with 10 men ) were games we should have got 3 points from
Newcastle away the “ goal” was a clear foul, Villa away we “ equalised” but ref gave handball despite not being able to see :censored:

Villa home, no excuses we ran out of steam and they got 2 good goals with quick, decisive attacks.
West Ham similar, we just couldn’t score and had nothing left in the tank

We have both dropped points in 10 matches

We have lost 5 and drawn 5
They have lost 3 and drawn 7

It only needs another draw for them and us to win our remaining 3 matches ….. :box: :box:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 12:11 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
rodders999 wrote:

Im pretty sure city can look back on a couple of games they didn’t win and say “ should have won that “

but I agree Fulham away ( we took the lead , Fulham at home ( they equalised very late with 10 men ) were games we should have got 3 points from
Newcastle away the “ goal” was a clear foul, Villa away we “ equalised” but ref gave handball despite not being able to see :censored:

Villa home, no excuses we ran out of steam and they got 2 good goals with quick, decisive attacks.

It only needs another draw for them and us to win our remaining 3 matches ….. :box: :box:
The Villa home game keeps getting mentioned because its the most recent, but the reality is that we battered them in the first half and should have been 3 or 4 up. The West Ham and Fulham games weren't like that. We had the two non scoring forwards who were knocked about like little boys and apart from the very early goal against Fulham, we could have been playing both games for another six hours each and not scored. We are much more effective with Havertz up top - the stats, results, and the goals that have flowed since, back that up. Jesus and Eddie are not good enough for a title winning team. Jesus was a bit part player that City offloaded and wouldn't be anywhere near their present team. I tell you now that if Jesus starts up front in any of the last 3 games (more than likely he won't thank fuck), those games will feel like the Fulham and West Ham ones. Huff, puff, twist, turn, wild shot, dive....rinse and repeat

Fine margins because we've been on an incredible run

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Agree with Rodders, Steveo and StuartL, our run since Christmas would be enough to win the league for decades if it weren't for this cheaty115 machine.

The Newcastle away was a farce, how the fuck they got that goal is still mind boggling, does anyone think we would have been given that.

Villa away, the goal that was never given and the blatant penalty for Jesus that wasn't given, wasn't it earlier that day that Liverpool were given a penalty for exactly the same foul.

Those two points could have put us in prime position, the villa at home could have gone either way, Trossard missed that sitter from six yards out at 0-0, that goes in and we probably go onto win.

All ifs buts and maybes, regardless of this I have enjoyed this season immensely, we have given it our best, who knows if we will win our last three games, who knows if cheaty115 will win their last four.

I'm looking forward to the weekend with hope, hope we win and wolves get a draw, stranger things have happened.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 12:04 pm
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 8:26 am
Stuart L (2) wrote:
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Indeed, in a similar vein, we have not had 1 single player win Barclays player of the month this season

But we are all just paranoid ……aren’t we ?
Whaddya mean "we" ?

Ohhh! I seeee! :D :wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Stuart L (2) wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 12:11 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
rodders999 wrote:

Too fuckin' rye aye mate! Bish Bash Bosh!... Soooorrrtttedd...so Fuccckk Offf You Cheaty Slaaaaaaags! :box: :D :barscarf:

herbert

Post by herbert »

rodders999 wrote:

Sombre but spot on Rodders

I am still hopeful that the football gods give us a break