Unhappy with atmosphere at Arsenal games? Read this! (18/11)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
gooner.ed
Site Admin

Unhappy with atmosphere at Arsenal games? Read this! (18/11)

Post by gooner.ed »

http://www.onlinegooner.com/exclusive/index.php?id=853

usual thread starter… for those who bemoan the atmosphere, and especially those critical of what REDaction do – and there are a few regulars on the forum who fall into one or both of those camps – you are exactly the kind of people that the guys want along to hear from.

It’s a chance to get your ideas across and make a difference. Attending this meet (which is not the Rocket as it’s not a weekend game) will have far more influence than just sitting at a PC & moaning about things.

After Arsene's comments at the AGM, there has apparently been a bit of a change of attitude towards REDaction at the club. They are keener to make things happen rather than create obstacles. So for example, REDaction have ordered a massive ‘United Nations of Arsenal’ banner - with each of the current squad’s national flag on it - and the club will let them use it even with the ban on national flags. So while there is a bit of Glasnost in the air, it’s time to push things forward. Get in touch and get along.

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Will not get out of work early enough to go, but if someone can suggest removing "The Wonder of You" and replacing it with a more uptempo song would be very grateful.

Also bringing back old chants like "Come on You Reds" and "You are my Arsenal".

Jumpers For Goalposts

Post by Jumpers For Goalposts »

I couldn't agree more!! When I fell in love with Arsenal in the 80's the football might have been average but the atmosphere was great.

I have always said that the Club need to drive any initiatives forward as they have the ability to reach the wider audience and if they sanction it, more people will get involved.

The trouble is that our board of directors don't put atmosphere very high on their list of priorities.

I asked Keef Edelman a couple of years ago why we couldn't hire or form a band like Sheff Wed do and he looked at me as if I'd just farted - he couldn't have been less interested. Anyone remember the home game in May 2000 against the Owls? The atmosphere was fecking brilliant simply because we adapted every song started by their band.

I also asked, if Liverpool fans can unfurl huge (and brilliant) banners, why don't the Club get some made for us and let us do the same. Keef's answer - not possible due to errrr, health and safety. What a load of old buzzcocks!!

If 3,000 Fenerbahce fans can make some serious noise why shouldn't we??

Every Arsenal fan should get behind this initiative and force the Club to act as the atmosphere is so important.

hugh jardon

Post by hugh jardon »

Last edited by hugh jardon on Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sammy Mooner

Post by Sammy Mooner »

Getting rid of Elvis is a must. Whose idea was that Edelman's no doubt. Play Teenage kicks - it is far more appropriate right now.

But the bottom line is that the best atmospheres have always been created by teenagers - when we had a North Bank and Clock End packed with such young nutters it was great.

6OONER PETE

Post by 6OONER PETE »

The only way to really improve the atmosphere significantly would be to have standing areas ( perhaps in each corner of the ground to avoid restricting the view of those sitting ). Unfortunately we all know that is just never going to happen.

Definitely replace Elvis with "When you're smiling " or "Maybe it's because I'm a gooner , That I love Arsenal etc " or ANYTHING else PLEASE.

Should play up tempo music at half time as well instead of the chat and adverts which kills any atmosphere stone dead.

gunnerhead

Post by gunnerhead »

I'm pretty sure the fans started the wave in that game as a tribute to Vela who had a fantastic game. It's not like we do it all the time.

If anything, it was a class act by the fans at the stadium that night.

I made the trek to London twice last season. The first time was absolutely fantastic (7-0 win v. Slavia Prague). The second time was the last home game of the season and I noticed some things that I'd like changed.

The announcer's volume is far too loud. He has to stop getting us to yell the players' last names. The song is too fast and pretty much impossible for 60,000 people to sing along to. I don't see what's wrong with banners or flags approved by the club. It's not like we want to fire up flares in the stadium.

The last point the club really can't do much about: early leavers. Nothing picks my ass more than me sitting in front of the tele in Vancouver when I'd rather be in London at the game and what do I see? A half empty stadium with 5 minutes to go. I know people complain about the stewards but I think they should enforce the no standing rule more strictly so we don't see all those red seats towards the end of the game.