To boo or not to boo - that is the question....

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Should we boo Adebayor??

Yes, he should know how we feel
53%
No - never boo any Arsenal player
47%

Total votes: 55

Irish Gooner

Post by Irish Gooner »

I don't know why people continue to put Eboue,Bendtner and Song ffs in the same boat as Adebayor.

Adebayor disgraced the club and fans last summer. He is a lazy hypocritical mercenary *word censored* that constantly spouts bollocks to the detriment of the side.
Not too mention his lack passion or heart for the jersey.

The other 3 have massively improved this season and Song has been player of the season for me.

Glitch33

Post by Glitch33 »

Irish Gooner wrote:I don't know why people continue to put Eboue,Bendtner and Song ffs in the same boat as Adebayor.

Adebayor disgraced the club and fans last summer. He is a lazy hypocritical mercenary c**t that constantly spouts bollocks to the detriment of the side.
Not too mention his lack passion or heart for the jersey.

The other 3 have massively improved this season and Song has been player of the season for me.
Yeah but have you ever seen Song sprint?

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

Glitch33 wrote:Let's hope Ade, Song, Bendtner and co read this forum. Otherwise they will continue to think they are gods.

If Ade read the comments maybe he wouldn't say he is going to stay because he owes us.

Maybe £80k a week for doing fuck all is too good to turn down and maybe no one want the lazy fucker. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
I think Ade is well aware of what a sizeable chunk of the fans think of him, thus his comments today about wanting to stay to make up for this season. I also don't think the game against Chelsea, of all games, is the one to start the booing at, if that is what people want to do, for the reasons mentioned earlier by a couple of others. :lol: :wink:

wlchuccc

Post by wlchuccc »

I was struggling, but voted "no" in the end for few reasons:

1) should never boo our own players (I did one when Eboue fucked up early this season though)

2) the other players may not understnd why we boo greedy, they might think that one day they may receive the same treatment if they don't play well

3) will the club sell him even though 60000 fans boo him? I don't think so :banghead:

hanny73

Post by hanny73 »

46% Yes vs. 54% No, the closer than I thought it would be.

Radford149

Re: To boo or not to boo - that is the question....

Post by Radford149 »

hanny73 wrote:I've never been a great fan of booing players, however Adebayor has really taken the p*ss today with his comments - I just want to gauge opinion on booing.

I know this topic has been polled before but I just wonder if recent lacklustre performances has changed opinions??
Radford would never boo a player but he can understand the feelings of those that do. he also feels that instead of booing fans shold club together and get the *word censored* a one way plain ticket to where ever the waste of space wants to go

Chippy

Post by Chippy »

I doubt I will, but I really want people to stop with that god awful song until he has earned it again.

gooner88

Post by gooner88 »

agreed ade has been a lazy c*nt this season and i am not his biggest fan, he has had a shit lazy season, BUT he is still our top scorer in europe and the PL, if he could find his desire/passion again next season he could be a big contribution to us winning trophies !!
surely booing our own player would put extra pressure on the rest of the squad, who would be nervous of receiving the same treatment??

Next Season, is the season :barscarf: :barscarf:

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Ade has said he wants to stay and do better next season, everybody in life deserves a second chance, so lets start with a clean slate, I will even extend that to a fifth chance for Arsene if he strenghtens the squad.

franksav63
Location: Home - Whitechapel - Arsenal Block 6 - Twitter - @franksav63

Post by franksav63 »

Would I boo the *word censored*.... Hmmm.. No.... But I still want him shipped out in the summer..

hanny73

Post by hanny73 »

This poll has been very close, the standings are that a majority of us would boo Adebayor. This to my knowledge is the first time this has happened with any player.

hanny73

Post by hanny73 »

goonersid wrote:Ade has said he wants to stay and do better next season, everybody in life deserves a second chance, so lets start with a clean slate, I will even extend that to a fifth chance for Arsene if he strenghtens the squad.
2nd chance? Didn't he get this from us last August?

franksav63
Location: Home - Whitechapel - Arsenal Block 6 - Twitter - @franksav63

Post by franksav63 »

Article in the Mirror today, may change my mind about not booing the tosser:-

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... -21339865/

Why Emmanuel Adebayor is disrespecting Arsenal

By John Cross 7/05/2009

It is hard to believe that the same player could have said such contrasting things within the space of 24 hours.

Yes, we're back to my current pet topic: Emmanuel Adebayor.

On Tuesday: "I often speak to Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani on the phone because he is very good at French as his wife is from Morocco," Adebayor told Italian newspaper Tuttosport. "Galliani may not be as sexy as Beyonce, but Milan are.

"For now I just want to finish the season on a high, but then we will see. My agent Stephane Courbis is in London with his Italian associate Vincenzo Morabito and they are always working day and night."

On Tuesday night: "Arsenal put me where I am today, They made me one of the biggest strikers in the world. I have to pay them back.

"How am I going to pay them back? Make them win trophies. Thats what I am here for and I have to fight for that. Next season, 100 per cent, I am an Arsenal footballer."

Forgive me if I don't believe a word that comes out of Adebayor's mouth.

On Monday, on the eve of Arsenal's Champions League semi final, Adebayor is talking to an Italian newspaper about his future and the piece appears in Tuttosport on Tuesday.

On Tuesday night after the game and flanked by an Arsenal press officer, Adebayor says quite the opposite.

It reminds me of last summer when Adebayor categorically denied he was ready to leave Arsenal after stories appeared claiming that he wanted a huge new contract and wages to match Thierry Henry's £100,000-a-week contract before he left to join Barcelona.

All the time Adebayor was giving interviews to foreign press confessing his love for Barcelona and AC Milan and was desperate to move to the San Siro.

Then the time Adebayor met Arsene Wenger at the Euros and told the Arsenal manager that he was committed - and then did a round of interviews at an adidas PR event the same day admitting he wanted out.

Normally the big-name player uses his get-out-of-jail-free card by blaming the press for making up stories.

This time, Adebayor got caught with his pants down and was jeered by the Arsenal fans in pre-season and at the start of the Premier League campaign.

Cristiano Ronaldo was also involved in an ugly protracted transfer tug-of-war last summer but Manchester United fans have long since forgiven him because he's so damned good.

Sadly for Adebayor, this season has been a huge disappointment and his form has gone downhill ever since he signed a great big fat contract worth a whopping £80,000 a week.

Adebayor used to be one of the hardest working strikers in the Premier League. He was everywhere. This season, Adebayor has been lazy and he looks like a player who thinks he has made it.

Arsenal fans were outraged by Adebayor's lacklustre performance at Old Trafford in the Champions League semi final first leg. His second leg performance wasn't much better.

I got on the Tube to go to the game on Tuesday night and the two Arsenal fans sitting opposite me were slaughtering Adebayor, criticising his work rate, commitment and lack of goals.

But what is most upsetting for Arsenal is that in all of Wenger's 13 years in charge of the club never has he improved a player more than Adebayor.

Adebayor arrived from Monaco in January 2006 for less than the £7m listed in many statistics books. I know this because Wenger was once asked about the fee and he was outraged, claiming they didn't even pay half that.

He was hopeless. I remember saying at the time that Arsenal should have signed Dean Ashton as at least he could score. But after six months training alongside Henry and Wenger, Adebayor began to show real progress.

In his first full season he scored 12 goals. The next season he scored 30 goals and other clubs started taking notice. This season he has scored 16 goals but his work rate and commitment have been sorely lacking.

Adebayor is the worst kind of example of a foreign mercenary. He has come to Arsenal, Wenger made him into the player he is today and now he starts saying that AC Milan are such a big club, blah, blah, blah.

However, this is a problem that Arsenal have partly brought upon themselves.

They sign a lot of foreign players cheaply, don't pay them huge contracts and then do not get the same loyalty they would expect from a home-grown player.

Mathieu Flamini joined Arsenal in 2004 and the Gunners only had to pay Marseille peanuts in compensation because he was not on a full professional contract at the French club.

Four years later, Flamini, by now a free agent, leaves Arsenal for AC Milan where he has struggled this season to get a regular first team place despite signing an £80,000-a-week contract.

But unfortunately if you live by the sword you die by the sword. Wenger criticised Flamini over his departure, but really what complaint can Arsenal have, having plucked him from Marseille in similar circumstances?

Of course there are exceptions to the rule. Cesc Fabregas joined Arsenal at 16 and has turned down numerous overtures from Spain already. Henry grew to love the club and remains fiercely loyal.

I think Adebayor will leave Arsenal this summer. It wouldn't surprise me if before long we see another round of "I'm staying" interviews quickly followed by "Milan/Barcelona/Inter/Real Madrid are great clubs" interviews.

It really is becoming beyond a joke. To talk about AC Milan on the day of a Champions League semi final is so disrespectful.

Last March, Alex Hleb did something similar. The day before Arsenal played AC Milan in the Champions League in the San Siro, Hleb met Inter officials for an "ice cream."

Hleb, of course, joined Barcelona last summer and has barely got a kick this season. He spent last year moaning about London. Now he's making noises about coming back to the Premier League. No thanks, Alex.

This just all goes to show that the modern day footballer is out of touch with fans and are becoming increasingly mercenary and detached from real life.

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

Great article by John Cross sums up Greedy perfectly

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Excellent article Frank