CHARLTONS DARREN BENT

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
legend10

CHARLTONS DARREN BENT

Post by legend10 »

MY MATE IS AN IPSWICH SEASON TICKET HOLDER, HE READ IN THEIR LOCAL PAPER THAT ARSENAL WANT DARREN BENT BUT CHARLTON WILL ONLY GIVE US HIM ON LOAN

THE REASON THIS WAS IN THE IPSWICH LOCAL PAPER IS BECAUSE IF WE BUY HIM THEN IPSWICH GET 20% OF THE SALE

ANYONE THINK DARREN BENT WOULD BE GOOD FOR US, I WOULD BE INTERESTED TO KNOW

BENT OR OWEN ?

tenementfunster5

Post by tenementfunster5 »

Neither. Not Arsenal quality

N22Gooner

Post by N22Gooner »

and craptista and hleb are Arsenal quality?
Would love to have bent proper goal scorer. headers, tap-ins, shots outside box and one on ones. Would be great to swap him with song would be class.

N22Gooner

Post by N22Gooner »

and craptista and hleb are Arsenal quality?
Would love to have bent proper goal scorer. headers, tap-ins, shots outside box and one on ones. Would be great to swap him with song would be class.

Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I put this on the Owen/Bendtner post days ago...nice to see i'm noticed!!

I'm with N22Gooner on this one, just the sort of striker we need and would still leave us funds to get players for the positions we really need to strengthen.

green gooner

Post by green gooner »

We could toss in Aliadiere as a bit of a sweetener :lol:

Bent scored a number of goals in a poor Charlton team so I would not be too hard on him :|

tenementfunster5

Post by tenementfunster5 »

Chel$ki, Manure and the Stealers are looking at the likes of Eto'o, David Villa and Fernando Torres and we are scraping the bottom of the barrel looking at Darren Bent. It's not right for a club of our stature. We need to look for the best of the best not guys that will 'do a job' when they are big fish in small ponds.

N13Gooner

Post by N13Gooner »

Darren Bent is exactly what we need - a proven Premiership goalscorer and an Arsenal fan!

Chopper

Post by Chopper »

tenementfunster5, they are all big names but unproven in this country, Bent is proven and in struggling teams.

After all this time last year who would you have preferred us to sign, Shevchenko, McCarthy or Bent. Just because they have done it elsewhere is no guarantee they will be a success here, the majority are but thats alot of money if they fail. Ballack (wages not fee) and Veron being other examples.

Would love to have the 3 players you state but would not be against Bent. Last year we said the same about Andy Johnson and look at him now. The amount of fans i have heard saying if only we had taken the risk...and Bent as suggested would not even cost as much plus he too is proven in the prem.

With a fit Henry and RVP there are more pressing areas to strengthen, if we got Etoo, Villa or Torres great, but if it means another season of no width, or Toure disappearing to the African Nations and a month of Swiss Tony then no thanks. I'd rather have Bent, Ribery and a top quality centre back.

I want a winning team not just one that looks good on paper.

Gunnerz4life

Post by Gunnerz4life »

We shouldnt really compare ourselves with who Manure and Chelski are signing. Lets be honest to ourselves, getting the likes of Etoo and Villa wouldnt be easy for us, there isnt enough money available. You dont need to be top top class and costing 30 plus million pounds to be effective. Players like Bent, Martins and even MCcarthy have shown the quality of a top goal scorer playing for smaller clubs where they have had little or no help. We need a goal scorer and money doesnt always buy them for you, just look at Shevchenko. I can see the likes of Bent and Martins being far more affective playing alongside the likes of TH14, RVP, Cesc and Rosicky.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Gunnerz4life wrote: We need a goal scorer and money doesnt always buy them for you, just look at Shevchenko. I can see the likes of Bent and Martins being far more affective playing alongside the likes of TH14, RVP, Cesc and Rosicky.
Excellent point G4L. If it ain't gonna cost us a fortune then I say take a risk on him. If he can score surrounded by the shite at charlton then who knows what he might achieve being fed by TH14, RVP, Cesc and (hopefully) Diaby.

I'm not saying he's the answer to our lack of an extra world class striker, but he may end up becoming one, training day in day out with Arsene and Tel etc. At worst, he would be a useful squad member that didn't cost a fee and would only cost a wage. If we've paid Aliadi-useless to fail miserably for so long, why not take a chance on Bent?