Why Wenger should sign Michael Owen (25/5)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
gooner.ed
Site Admin

Why Wenger should sign Michael Owen (25/5)

Post by gooner.ed »

Usual thread starter… the real question about Michael Owen is not his goalscoring ability but his injury record of late. I don’t think Arsene would take that kind of a chance and I could see Owen not even getting past the notoriously thorough Arsenal medical.

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

Didn't we take a chance on Kanu & Overmars? Both turned out to be inspired buys. Anyone can have bad luck with injury (RVP, Henry, Diaby....) but it doesn't necessarily mean the end of a career. If we can get Owen for as little as £9m then this could be a real coup!!

tenementfunster5

Post by tenementfunster5 »

His legs are gone. Dodgy hamstrings mean he has lost his biggest asset, his pace. He no longer scares defenders and at £9M would be a HUGE gamble. I can't see Wenger commiting to this nor do I think he should.

Nevimeister

Post by Nevimeister »

"The decisive difference in Athens was Filippo Inzaghi who scored one through a huge slice of luck (lucky yes but he was well placed) and his second through superb timing and an excellent finish. Inzaghi showed exactly what Arsenal have lacked recently – a talented but ruthlessly clinical goal scorer whose only thought is to get one on the scoreboard, whatever it looks like."

Inzaghi had scored 6 goals in 31 games this season before Wednesday. He has 17 league goals in the last 4 years! 13 Champions League goals in the last 4 years including the 2 on Wednesday. One which he knew nothing about (typical Inzaghi goal) and the other a nice but simple finish which a) Carragher did terribly for playing Inzaghi onside just like he did with Kaka earlier that got incorrectly given onside and b) Reina did his best impression of Dida or Almunia.

Anyway, I digress. Michael Owen has never been a prolific scorer. His season best in the Premiership is 18 goals. He's always injured, though he does score on the big occasion. If we sign a striker it has to be Huntelaar. He scores every type of goal - headers, flicks, over-head kicks, poachers goals and long range clinical efforts. He links play well and is skilful. That's your man

tenementfunster5

Post by tenementfunster5 »

I see your point but Inzaghi is a far better player than you seem to give credit. He has 44 goals in 118 games for Milan 57 in 120 for Juve and 24 in 33 for Atalanta. He is one of the top strikers in europe and has been for some time.
He also has a professional recors of 226 goals in 479 games. That's going some.

demzy

Post by demzy »

I would love to see owen at arsenal. on his day (when fit) is an out and out striker, who makes runs into the box and can finish. but just like every other arsenal fan, im slightly woried about his fitness, but it could work.
On the other hand, bendtner is coming back and also carlos vela, and these players could learn alot from owen. walcott could also learn alot, and could be the long term solution upfront.

Gunnerz4life

Post by Gunnerz4life »

Lets not forget the thing that made Owen a feared striker once upon a time. It was his speed. With constant recent injuries that major part of his game would be expected to suffer. Lets not compare Owen with Inzaghi, they are different kind of players, i wouldnt expect Owen to play like Inzaghi and be a goal poacher. If we are looking for reasonably cheap goal scoring strikers, i would say Martins is a much better prospect than Owen. Hes a proven goal scorer, his goal tally for Newcastle was impressive, given the little support he gets from the midfield and he has the pace and the physical strength which Owen doesnt.

Eboue Can't Defend

MARTINS

Post by Eboue Can't Defend »

I STILL BREAK OUT IN A COLD SWEAT WHEN I REMEMBER THE WAY MARTINS DESTROYED US AT HIGHBURY FOR INTER MILAN IN THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO.

THIS GUY IS QUICKER THAN OWEN AND PROBABLY HAS EVEN MORE PACE THAN OUR OWN THIERRY HENRY. HOWEVER, I DON'T THINK HE IS AS CLINICAL A FINISHER AS EITHER OWEN OR HENRY.

SOMEHOW, HE NEVER CEMENTED A REGULAR STARTING PLACE FOR INTER DURING HIS TIME THERE (OFF THE FIELD PROBLEMS?) AND I REMEMBER WE WERE LINKED WITH HIM NUMEROUS TIMES BEFORE THE GORDIES BOUGHT HIM.

HE IS STILL QUITE YOUNG (MID-TWENTIES) AND, WITH THE RIGHT CLUB, COULD STILL DEVELOPE INTO A WORLD-CLASS STRIKER THAT TERRORISES EVEN THE BEST DEFENDERS (JUST ASK KOLO!). WHETHER THAT IS WITH US, I VERY MUCH DOUBT. DON'T THINK WENGER FANCIES HIM.

Eboue Can't Defend

Re: MARTINS

Post by Eboue Can't Defend »

I, OF COURSE, MEANT THE GEORDIES - NOT THE GORDIES (WHO, AS YOU WELL KNOW, ARE SUPPORTERS OF GORDON BROWN :wink: )