BUY LEROY LITA!!!

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Galasso

Post by Galasso »

I agree with the latest 2 posts, in that we don't need another striker.

I take you back to end of 2001. Play Liverpool off the park in the FA Cup Final, lose 2-1, followed by Henry's famous plea for a 'fox in the box'. We sign said 'fox in the box', who turns out to less than inspiring. What in fact happened the following seaon was the development of Bobby as a regular goalscorer and a superb second half of the season from Freddie - i.e. goals from midfield!

Although under AW we have generally played 4-4-2, the way in which we played has changed with the personnel. I think the balance in midfield is not right at the moment. Remember when we played at The Theatre of C**ts with 5 man-midfield and again for the better part of the away spurs game. Perhaps we need to be able to play with 12 players each game...

In general, with RvP and TH scoring regulary, and back up from the other strikers, the main case rests with the make-up of midfield. The midfileds of Vieira, Petit, Parlour and Overmars: Vieira, Gilberto, Pires and Ljungberg solved the problem of effectivley mixing defence and attack along with the strikers available at the time.

With the players we have available at the moment we are too physically lightweight, and we do not have enough guaranteed goals from anyone in midfield (I note Gilberto's contribution in both areas and at last Fabregas/Rosicky turned up with a few goals). We need someone to enforce his will on the pitch, as, I hate to say, Essien will in the coming years, and a goalscoring threat from wide, potentialy Ribery.

Now, as for the defence....
Ahh bollocks, I'm tired now.

Trevheff

Post by Trevheff »

I'm going slightly off on a tangent here, but........Tenmen makes a really good point there about Adebayor 'driving for the box'. That's one thing we've missed badly since Vieira left and with Henry injured. It doesn't really matter whether it comes from central midfield, wide areas or one of your strikers, you need someone driving on to force the opposition back and create movement elsewhere.

We have alot of neat passing players who love to move it sideways or link up with neat triangles. But in addition, at times you just need someone to pick up that bloody ball and just go at the opposition. Doesn't have to be a jinking winding run, just pump your legs and go at them!!

Would love to see Ribery in an Arsenal shirt next season but I fear he'll go to a club who are prepared to pay more than we will.