WE DON'T NEED AND WE DON'T WANT ETO'O!!!

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Gooner Chris

WE DON'T NEED AND WE DON'T WANT ETO'O!!!

Post by Gooner Chris »

We don't need eto'o. Henry needs to speak out and tell all the fans that he will stay instead of saying 'for now i'm an arsenal player'.

'for now' means at the moment which obviously signals barcelona's intent of grabbing Henry. Eto'o is just bait which i don't want.

U.F.G Anfield '89

Post by U.F.G Anfield '89 »

Eto'o is an excellent striker and i think that an up front pairing of him and Henry would be great. also Henry has stated that he is staying but also said in the same statement that he is tired of always coming 4th, the press have spun this as him saying that he may go if the team doesn't improve next season. Even if this is what he means (which i'm not sure it is) there is a school of thought that says it's a valid tactic if it moves the club forward.

Gunnerz4life

Post by Gunnerz4life »

Like i said in the other thread, theres no good in having any one of them. Either we have to get Etoo and offer some other player with some cash or dont get him at all and keep Henry. It will be a silly move to exchange our top goal scorer of all time with a player, world class yes but untested in the English game.

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

We DO want Eto"o but we want to keep Henry as well.Barcelona are testing the nerve of the board by offering Eto"o and cash(Sky are saying £17 million). I just dont want Eto"o to end up at ManUre or Chelski.I believe Henry is waiting to see who we bring in this summer to see if the signings will help us challenge next season.If we dont buy top quality i can see him leaving.Henry has always said he will stay if we match his ambitions and that if we are challenging for the title not just for 4th place.

Gunnerz4life

Post by Gunnerz4life »

I could consider giving them Henry for Etoo and Ronaldinho or Etoo and Messi :).

O and lets not forget one thing, Etoo will be unavailable for 2 months starting january. Not only that, the guy has something missing in his top floor, doesnt take much to make him unhappy at a club. What if we have another indifferent season next year? He will start whining.

Trevheff

Post by Trevheff »

Ever thought that Henry is saying "I'm an Arsenal player for now", not because he's considering going but because he doesn't know if the club will choose to sell him??

Maybe he hasn't had the assurances he wants for the club that they definitely want to keep him? I'm sure he remembers the quick decision the club took on Vieira when his fitness started to get questioned and a good offer came in.

I want Henry to stay, and will be gutted if he leaves. However if he does go it will be a cardinal sin to make the same mistake we did with Vieira and not have a ready made replacement lined up. Not a promising youngster to be given a go but a proven and experienced goalscorer.

And picking up on a point already made, I don't see the merit in buying a Cameroonian when the African Nations is coming up.

delgooner

Post by delgooner »

All this hype really pisses me off! I dont think it matters what we all think! If there is a deal going on its nothing to do with you, you're just a supporter, its like the mafia saying "Its nothing personal its business" and Im afraid money is the number one priority in football now. Look at the way the top four shit theirselves every year to make sure we get in the Champions League. There's no loyalty anymore with players. Chelshite and Manscum have seen to that. Its just a case where they can get the most money like Cuntly Hole. TH keeps bleating on about he's fed up coming fourth, well when he was fit if he had scored a few more goals and put himself about a bit instead of going missing in some games might have put us in a better position and he should remember that getting injured when he did left us struggling for the rest of the season and he was still getting his nice little earner every week. I honestly believe Etoo would just be chasing a nice little earner like the rest of the mercenary bastards we now have over here. Look at the lot at Chelshite can you honestly tell me which one of the so called Superstars that came over has really set the premiership alight. So I say TH you dont want to play for Arsenal then fuck off - I want to see players playing their heart out for the club for the whole 90 minutes. Sorry about the rant, but I think the majority of the so-called Super-players are overpriced and overpaid.

Goonanana

Hypocracy

Post by Goonanana »

Don't go telling TH to fuck off, he is a fantastic player and has done wonders for this club. He is our all time top goalscorer and stuck with us at the end of last season when he could ahve gone for £50mill, been the most expensive player ever and probably been paid £130,000 a week!

The poor bloke has had to deny rumours almost every month for the last 2-3 years, no wonder he is sick of giving the same answer!

Here's an idea, why don't the fucking board come out and say that that short of an offer of over 100million he is staying put! We keep going on about players showing loyalty to the club, well how about the club start showing some fucking loyalty to the players. Why should TH have to take the burden of all these rumours for so long? I think its the Arsenal board who are the money grabbers here, they won't think twice about throwing TH out if they get a nice price and they think there is a chance he will be injury prone!

U.F.G Anfield '89

Post by U.F.G Anfield '89 »

why set the asking price so low, set it at the debt on our stadium, £360m or whatever it is. There are people around these days who will pay 100 mil for a player. The money involved is getting insane!

Trevheff

Post by Trevheff »

Loyalty goes both ways and unfortunately it's now rare on both sides. The clubs expect loyalty from the player, expect him to stick to the years on his contracts plus renew their deal should the club want it in recognition of what they have done for him. That is until the club decide they are surplus to requirements when they don't hesistate to offer them round Europe to the highest bidder.

I know we are all proud of the value's within our great club, but we are no different to any other club in this matter. If Arsene feels that a players legs have gone, or they're too injury prone or that their motivation has gone, he and the Board will move them on without a thought given to what that player has done over the years. The proof of that was Vieira.

There's right and wrong in the action of both parties but unfortunately it's the football world we all now live in. Winning has become everything, well if not winning getting into the Champions League certainly has become the be all and end all for the top clubs. Showing real loyalty to players when it could possibly be at the detriment of the team is no longer an option for managers and Boards.

I'm not saying this is right, it's just how it is. I now have some sympathy why certain players don't come out and committ their futures as teh decision may not be there's. Certainly they could and should express their wishes, i.e. I WANT to stay at Arsenal (which Thierry has done on many occassions), but they may have no control in the matter.

If Beckham didn't get the loyalty at Utd and Vieira didn't at Arsenal given what they did for their respective clubs, it's difficult to see any player ever getting it again.

dbrien

Post by dbrien »

cant we have Etoo, 17 million, keep TH and give them Swiss Tony, Flamini and oh i dont know throw in maybe, Poom? No he's gone, erm Paul Burrell the PA man. That seems like a really good deal to me.

if you were playing championship manager you would jump at it.