Realistic Signings??

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Trevheff

Realistic Signings??

Post by Trevheff »

As I've just said on another thread, I really fear that we won't see many additions to the squad in the summer, but I'm trying to stay positive (Heads up fellow Gooners!!). Positive but still realistic, so rather than dreaming of a triple swoop on Barca resulting in us signing Eto'o, Messi and Ronaldinho, and short of allowing myself to believe Steven Gerrard will surprisingly announce that his heart lies with Arsenal, I started trying to think realistic who we had a chance of signing. Based on where we need to stregthen and what we know of Arsene and his outlook, who is he likely to be interested in?

Firstly he won't break the bank. The money appears not to be there, the Board won't allow it and Arsene never does it. (Reyes? Doh!!) We know he prefers younger players that offer years of service who he can coach into his style. An importantly, over the years on more than one occassion I've heard him say that's he's reluctant to buy players who have been there, won it and done it at other clubs (Who has he ever bought who's done that?). He wants players with real hunger and desire and he fears that players who have already achieved great success and played at the biggest clubs in Europe could lack that. Last but not least, given how much he has put into bringing through the youngsters, he doesn't want to bring someone in who will block the progression of others players who he really thinks can make it at the club.

So where do we need to strengthen? A winger must be priority as our lack of width stares us in the face week in week out. Ribery is the obvious one, it's all over the papers and I'd be very happy with him. He ticks most of the boxes above and seeing as we have zero natural wingers certainly wouldn't bar another players path. However I still have that nagging fear that the bidding war will start, the fee will sore, we'll back off and he'll end in Madrid. Familiar story eh? So what about Ryan Babel?? More realistic possibly. If the talk is to be believed he's available at £6m. He's the age Arsene likes, technically very good, very quick and RVP's mate to boot!! Everything has gone quiet about him which is the hallmark of an Arsenal transfer.

The second key priority must be a Centre Back. Picture this. It's February. Kolo goes to the African Nations for 6 weeks. Meanwhile Gallas jets off to Paris to play for France where he of course gets injured. So just as the Champions League knock out phase starts, the FA Cup 5th Round dawns and of course we try and maintain a Title challenge (!!), we are left with just Senderos and Djourou to hold the defence together. Even if you are satisfied with the quality of our Swiss pair, the lack of numbers and our vulnerability in that area is scarey. Personally I'd liked to have seen us go in for Woodgate. Ok I know he's had his injury problems but I think he would have given us the foundation our defence needs. Too late now. Failing that there aren't many top centre backs around who are available. So why not Curtis Davies? Again he's the right age, should be affordable given that the Baggies failed to get promoted and technically from what I have seen fits the Wenger mould. As for blocking others progression, the fact is we are short on numbers so that argument goes out the window.

If we could stregthen in any other area I'd say right back. Put simply Eboue can't defend for his life and Hoyte, although improved, still doesn't convince me. Micah Richards would be the obvious candidate given Arsene's normal criteria and Richard's self professed love of the club. However as I'm trying to stay realistic, as both Eboue and Hoyte have been signed up to new long term deals I can't see Arsene investing in a young right back.

Beyond the names I've mentioned, I can't think of too many players who realistically we need, I'd want or we had a chance of getting. I'd love to hear what the rest of you think, but remember, BE REALISTIC!!

tenementfunster5

Post by tenementfunster5 »

Great article. Agree with your sentiments. I think Curtis Davies is a great shout. Been trying to convince people of his ability for the last year. He could be a top top defender. As for right midfield Ribery is a must. We should do all we can to attract him to the club. Although as a side note i think in the next few years Wallcott will be utilised in that role until he moves further up the field to replace TH14.

Justin Hoyte is a future first choice right back. He is progressing very well and will keep improving to be a solid Lee dixon style player which is a good balance with Clichy Flying down the left and Hoyte sitting more.

demzy

Post by demzy »

Ribery is the most obvious choice for a winger, and i would love to see him come as he is a great player, but more realistically i see wenger going for babel. who knows both might even come in.

I also agree that curtis davies would be a good signing. he's young and english, although the price tag may be a bit too high as it always is with young english players with great potential.

One player who i would love to see at arsenal is dani alves from sevilla. he is fast, agile, gets forward (attacking minded). could play with eboue on the righ hand side. if one goes forward, one can stay back.[/quote]

GunnerTino

Post by GunnerTino »

Have to say Trevheff I've read your threads with a great deal
of interest and I have to agree with a lot of the points you've raised.
I've been concerned for a while about the direction the board have
been going over the last couple of seasons.Yes we needed a new stadium
that was plainly obvious but it can't of been built to the detriment of the
team being able to win things on the pitch.

What I mean is that if we continue to fail to be looking like challenging,
let alone winning the leauge then people will stop buying season tickets.
Before I get the old chestnut of "waiting lists" and so on,people have to see that paying the most expensive season tickets in Europe to watch a team thats not winning things could beome a bit of a pain.Yes I love Arsenal,yes I love their type of free flowing football,yes I love going to the best stadium in Europe,yes I'm proud to have a season ticket but can I keep justifying the cost of it?

I say stuff the debt and BUY,BUY,BUY!
I mean who doesn't owe a few bob here and there anyway!

liam bradys left foot

Post by liam bradys left foot »

two words MICHAEL OWEN we need a fox in the box aw has said this for years stuff the fact that wenger thinks he owes newcastle a season fuck em. sign owen twenty plus goals a season if we keep him fit rant over roll on next season im missing me seat already

N22Gooner

Post by N22Gooner »

two words Sick Note!

liam bradys left foot

Post by liam bradys left foot »

if we can keep him fit he would be a quality signing