15 million for Henry

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
jacko-arsnl

15 million for Henry

Post by jacko-arsnl »

Just read a article in the paper and its says that insiders from the club say TH is moving for 15 mil to Barca. Maybe its just another one of those never happen rumours, But if it did would anyone be happy with 15 mil for the man who brought so many goods times to the club. 15 mil is a small price i think for him.

tenementfunster5

Post by tenementfunster5 »

The press talk absolute bollocks! This will run and run until the transfer window closes and they will all have us feel that they knew he would stay. £15M with no other attatchments (players / cash bonuses) takes the piss for someone of TH14's proven ability.

Matt_the_gooner

Post by Matt_the_gooner »

I dont believe any thing like that any more i mean if owen hardgreaves is going to ManUre for 17 mil i think any less than 40 mil for henry would be downright insulting, even then i think it would be a hard deal on us.

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

Remember we could have sold Paddy for £25 million in 2004 then a year later we sold him for half that price.

tenementfunster5

Post by tenementfunster5 »

We sold Vieira when the time was right. £13M was a good deal when you look at the player that returned to highbury with Juve. He was a shadow of himself. Wenger will only sell Henry if it is the right thing for the club.

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

The time was not right when we sold Vieira because we didn"t have anyone lined up to replace him.He may be a shadow of his former self but he would still walk into this Arsenal team.And what a great leader he was.

Trevheff

Post by Trevheff »

£15 million does sound cheap to me, especially having just read that Juve are offering £12m for Sissoko and that the bidding for Darren Bent will go to £13m. Are you telling me Henry is only £2m/£3m better. Don't make me laugh!! He may be 30 in August but I'm not buying that he hasn't got years left in him. He effectively played on one leg on the occassions he turned out last season and still averaged a goal every other game.

Although just rumour, Barca reportedly offering Eto'o plus £17m reflect's Henry's true value.

The other factor that has a big influence on market value is the length left on the contract, and we all know that Thierry signed a new deal last summer.

In short, if you want him and Arsene decides it's right to let him go then pay up or shut up.

exiled in notts

Post by exiled in notts »

I know this thread's not about Vieira, but I've got to say he was one of the very finest players I've seen grace the red and white shirt. Unfairly maligned by the media for his supposed disciplinary problems, but then that's no surprise given the questionable treatment afforded him by refs, i.e. "we'll let you get kicked with impunity for 85 minutes, but the moment you react, we'll book you".

As for Henry, like Vieira he's a fantastic player and it's been a privilege to watch him. As with Vieira I'm sick of the perennial media speculation stirred up by desperate hacks with lots of blank back pages to fill. Clubs like Man Ure, Chavski and Liverpool give these jokers what they want by linking themselves with a string of transfer targets whereas AW tends to keep schtum. Maybe that's why they feel the need to invent negative stories about Arsenal. Looks like they're going to be busier than ever with their crayons this summer.

Anyway there's only one thing to be said about Henry's future. If he's happy to stay, we should keep him. If his heart is elsewhere, we should get as much cash as we can. There's no point in keeping a player who doesn't want to play for the shirt, regardless of how good he is.

Trevheff

Post by Trevheff »

I thinked Exiled in Notts has perfectly summarised and simplified the whole debate. Arsene needs to decide whether Henry is in the right physical and mental state to deliver whats required over a 50 game season. That's exactly what he did with Vieira. If Wenger feels he isn't I dare say he'll let him go for the right price.

Wenger choosing to let a player go as opposed to a player demanding a move must surely mean that the deal is in the best interest of Arsenal Football Club?

The main priority, and a lesson to be learnt from the departure of the great Patrick Vieira is to have a ready made seasoned performer lined up to fill the gap should it come to it.

I desperately want a fit and committed Henry at Arsenal next season. What I don't want is player, whose heart isn't in it, retained purely on memories and for old time sake.