Gunners don’t need to sign striker (5/6)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
gooner.ed
Site Admin

Gunners don’t need to sign striker (5/6)

Post by gooner.ed »

Usual thread starter… So will the return of TH14 and RVP correct the forward problem? Tend to agree that width has been badly missing and needs rectifying big time. If Eboue’s attitude improves, he’d make a great right-sided midfielder, so we don’t necessarily even need to buy to resolve this.

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

What happens in January and February if Henry(please God he is still with us) or Rvp is injured.Adebayor will be at the ANC.We are left with an two 18year olds as back up Bendtner who has never played in the premiership and Theo who still looks too lightweight to have a run of starts. I have said it before and i will keep saying it we need a 20 goal striker.Look how we ended up last season with Adebayor and Baptista as our strikers.There is talk of Manure going for Anelka,Liverpool for Eto"o we are being left behind.And what if the unthinkable happens-Henry does leave how do we replace him?

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

I think you have to plan for everyone being fit. Do we need an established 20 goal striker if RVP & TH are fit? No. And there is no way an Et'o, or even Anelka, is going to be happy warming the bench.

I think Bendtner, Walcott & Adebayor fit perfectly into that role - & will provide a real threat when they come on that we've lacked this season with Ali & beast.

When you look at our full strength 1st 11 then I think that is quite some team. Add in the likes of Denilson, Hoyte, Bendtner, Walcott etc & we could be going places. Injury wrecked our season last time around (& not just to RVP & TH), but maybe we'll now reap the benefits of having had to blood so many youngsters.

I still think we'll buy but won't be massively disappointed if we don't - providing those mentioned above plus Cesc & Gilberto stay.

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

MK i admire your optimism.I think we do need a 20 goal striker as both Henry and RVP like to drift wide when we attack and that leaves no one in the box.As for signing the likes of Eto"o and Anelka i believe we could play one of them upfront with either Henry or Rvp. and play either Henry or RVP in a free role behind the front two,Both Henry and RVP are skilful enough to play that role.I think Henry could turn out to be like Zidane once his pace starts to go as he has such a great brain.

conjoy

Post by conjoy »

IMHO just as there are League teams and Cup tems, there are League and Cup strikers, and like teams that can win both, its equally rare to find a stiker who is both.
Viduka, Bellamy and Bent are all League Strikers. When the stage is not daunting, they will get a lot of regular goals week-in, week-out.
Rooney, is an example of a Cup striker, he gets goals on the big stage.
THenry and Berbatov are both. Thus the interest from every man and his dog for their services.
The problem for any team needing depth, and quality to play in top leagues like the Cleague, is that you need players to warm the bench. You can ask VP or Adeb to watch Henry, but are you really going to expect Adeb to come on and be a game breaker in the CL at age 21? What Arsenal need is an old head. ManU had the right idea with HLarsson. Hes a proven goal scorer who can come on and turn a contest, but if necessary he has the experience to hold his head and give confidence to youngsters nearby if TH is out for a spell.
A player like Ribery is excitting, but I think between VP and Walcott who can both play as wingers, we would be better served with another old head up font.

Trevheff

Post by Trevheff »

If you work on the basis of having to buy in case key players get injured then we need to buy about 8 players. IMO MK Gould is right, you have to work on the basis of everyone being fit. Yes of course you plan your squad to cope with injuries in that you have back up players. But the nature of any squad is that the back up players are not necessarily at the same level (at this stage of their careers) as the first choice players. Otherwise they wouldn't be happy not being first choice and would look to move elsewhere.

A manager must ensure he has the right number of players in each position and the right balance of youth/experience and rotation in order to keep the squad happy. Then he just has to pray that he doesn't get a lot of injuries in one position - like we did last season. You can plan for injuries, but you can't plan for an injury crisis.

I'm in complete agreement with the original thread. We already have enough strikers and we have the right balance. Of course if Henry leaves then that changes, but as we sit here today, then we're fine.

I think Donaldo raises an interesting point though about Henry and RVP pulling wide and I think it's a fair point. But that can be addressed through tactics and formation rather than buying. If Henry or RVP predominantly take up central positions for large periods of games we will score goals.