The Return of Terracing

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Are you in favour of the return of terracing?

Yes
62%
No
24%
Don't care
5%
Don't care
5%
Maybe...
5%

Total votes: 21

Galasso

Post by Galasso »

They will make some sort of assessment as they do in Germany as to how many people it is safe to have in any one particular area. It should also be cheaper in that area as is traditional for standing.

But clubs are far too comfortable at the moment to even have to consider this. Sold-out games, lots of cash - why would they change anything? And if they ever feel threatened - well, just invoke Hillsborough.

Cesc is God

Post by Cesc is God »

Galasso wrote:They will make some sort of assessment as they do in Germany as to how many people it is safe to have in any one particular area. It should also be cheaper in that area as is traditional for standing.
Amen brother. Say it like it is!

northbankbren

Post by northbankbren »

I'm all for standing, but only in blocks 6-10 do the stewards seem allow it. I dont know how many times this season i've been told to sit down by the A G stewards(but they're a different story!). Would be great to see the entire stadium standing but just cant see alot of the prawn sandwich brigade joining in! In fact the amount of times i've heard people complaining about standing fans is a big let down. Dont think terraces is the way to go though...just standing!

Galasso

Post by Galasso »

Northbankbren

I know where your coming from re 'just standing', but this can never happen. It has to be terracing or nothing, as standing in the seats could lead to the ground being closed down. I think the reason that a certain leeway is given at certain grounds, in certain areas is probably something like a tolerance limit - like exceeding the speed limit. If the whole ground stood then something would be done.

At the Theatre of C**ts, they will tolerate the ManU standing but will normally pick out one or two away fans to chuck out - normally early - bit like sorting out your most dangerous opponent early on the pitch to send a message!

Don't misunderstand me - I am in favour of standing in general (and I was lucky enough to be able to stand virtually non-stop at Highbury) but it has be some blocks given over to terracing.

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

I only stood at one match this season - Spurs at home in the Carling Cup. The steward near us didn't tell anyone to sit down (which will no doubt please many of you), but did tell my kids not to sit on the back of the seats for fear of breaking them! Given that I weigh as much as my 3 kids put together then there is much more risk of the seat breaking every time I sit down!!!! As a result they enjoyed the atmosphere, but had to stand in the gangway to see the game itself (the steward, surprisingly, didn't appear to have a problem with that). My issue is that standing in a seated area gives you all the problems of the terrace, but without the advantages i.e. being able to move away from someone you don't like, being able to move to the front to get a better view. Next time you stand then spare a thought for those around you who cannot see as a result - & spare a thought for the stewards who are only "obeying orders".

Galasso

Post by Galasso »

MK Gould

I get your point and agree that situation for you and your children was a bad one, but I said I was in favour of standing, not that I actually stand. I live abroad and have been to maybe 10 games this season and where I sit , with some rows behinde me, is different to my situation at Highbury. I don't stand on a regular basis now because of the people behind me, whereas at Highbury no-one was behind me.

People, rightly in my view, link the lack of atmosphere to sitting down. And when there is no atmosphere around them, then they want to do something about it. Which leads to standing..and then all the problems start.

If enough people want to stand then why not make a block or two available for this? I fear that the club now feel our stadium experience should entail turning up early to drink shit beer, eat overpriced burgers, buy as much stuff at the club shop as possible, keep quiet and be grateful you are in the ground.

From what I have seen, and have experienced from watching Arsenal in Europe, the best atmosphere inside the ground has been created by people standing, usually inside all-seater stadiums. This is just my observation. Have you ever watched a Roma-Lazio derby or AC/Inter? The 'Ends' create the atmosphere and these people don't sit down.

I don't think you sould have to stand if you are in a seated area but, as we all know, the rules are applied by stewards and police in certain parts of the ground depending on the circumstances and who is involved.