Bring Back Adams

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
bofor

Bring Back Adams

Post by bofor »

Anyone else feel that bringing big Tony back into the fold can only be a good thing. At the moment we seem to lack any sort of leadership and direction on and off the field. Henry isnt a leader in the mould that adams was. I really think we need to get Adams back, hopefully he will be able to sort out the defence, getting rid of the silly mistakes that we seem to make every game that cost us a goal a game. The guy is Arsenal through and through.

We also need to get an Adams type leader on the pitch as well. Someone that will grab the players by the balls and push them in the right direction when things are going bad and were struggling against the weaker teams in the premier league. This for me is where your captain leads by example as everyone should be movtivated for the big teams, the smaller teams seem to be where are motivation fails. Again this is what cost us the league this year.

As for players that we need to sign. So long as we keep Henry up front I think we have a wealth of forwards. I think we are desperately crying out for 2 flying wingers that will chip in with 10 - 15 goals a season each. At the moment are whole midfield is made up of central midfielders and as such the whole team looks unbalanced. We dont have the width to get down the sides of teams and open them up and stretch the play. Ok we dont score headers but at least this would create a bit of space for the forwards and the central midfield to get into goal scoring positions. Freddie for me is done, he has lost the bit of pace he had. Sell him or release him, he just isnt good enough to be playing for the gooners anymore. Ribery would have been a good buy, quick direct and scores goals. something we are desperately looking for. Babbel from Ajax would be another player we should consider, for 6M surely he is worth a try. Remember we spent silly money on Reyes and he never really produced for us.

If Henry does leave, We will desperately need a top striker that can knock in 30 goals a season and restore confidence to the team and the supporters. Otherwise next season we may be lucky to qualify for the UEFA cup.

tenementfunster5

Post by tenementfunster5 »

I think if we are looking to sort out the defence then the man to bring in would be George Graham. He is the man that created that legendary defensive unit. Tony Adams played in it but that doesn't mean that he can convey the principles to this generation. Graham worked those boys hard to make sure they all new their position and their role in the unit. Get Graham in the fold and eliminate the mistakes.

T.S

Post by T.S »

OK, I’ll start with your comments about TA6. As you may or may not have read in an earlier thread, I am not a big fan of having him back. I see no evidence that he is “Arsenal through and throughâ€

U.F.G Anfield '89

Post by U.F.G Anfield '89 »

Firstly tonysaunders, i didn't stop reading. Now on to the question of captain, I would say that easily the best candidate for captain is Kolo Toure. It seems pretty clear to me that the captaincy is stifling his creativity as our front man. this season he has been far more standoffish when playing, not running at the defence etc. may be attributed to the need to stay back and orchistrate play which as a striker is still near impossible.

Cast your mind back to the night that we played PSV at home (I know it's painful but i'm making a point) try to remember before they scored that goal who was the only player on the pitch that was really up for it right from the start, who wasn't already seemingly resigned to defeat and who despite being a central defender was probably one of the biggest threats to their goal and created some of the best chances. I don't even have to say who it is do i, but i will; it was Kolo Toure. Now imagine if he was captain that night, if he was able to give orders to the other players, to instil them with his determination to win, would it have turned out any different, I don't know, what i do know is who i want to be captain.

delgooner

Post by delgooner »

Hmmm, reading you guys perhaps the Emirates should have been named the Titanic Stadium. I know at the moment nothing's coming out of the Arse but we get the same old shit every year from the newspapers cos there's no football and they have to make crap up like we are reading at the moment. And its only the Arse that gets the crap cos we are better than the manscum, chelshite and the calm downers and most of the sports writers support these crap football producing teams so to give the Arse shit in their columns wets their pants for them. Now TH is reported to be saying this and saying that. There was Arsenal before TH and will be after TH so if he goes, he goes. Arsene must know whats going on seeing as he's top man. I cant see Big T coming back as a defence coach, his ego is too big for that, and I would prefer Martin Keown as he has Arsenal in his blood and would definitely kick arse.

Ugh! No, No, No to Georgie where's the petty cash box - leave him where he belongs -in the Sky Pundit Hasbeens Bridgade.

Definitely take the responsibilty of the Captain off TH as Im sure it takes the edge off him having to look out for the others. I could go with Kolo but he's got to stop ball watching and dont let players run at him, Sol was good at getting in straight away with his head or feet which I feel has let the defence down throughout the season. They seemed to let players go past them or from set pieces just stand there and watch the opposition power them off the ball.

I've supported the Arse now for 55 years and Ive been through crap times and high times. For the last ten years we have seen the best manager we have ever had create a fantastic footballing club which is envied all over the world and we have been spoilt to where we expect it every year so for the last couple of seasons we havent been at the top of our game, but you have to expect a bit of a low now and then. So come on and get out of the doom and gloom there is life after TH and Arsene knows.

I Hate Hleb

Talking Shit

Post by I Hate Hleb »

delgooner wrote: "I know at the moment nothing's coming out of the Arse but we get the same old shit every year from the newspapers cos there's no football and they have to make crap up like we are reading at the moment. And its only the Arse that gets the crap.."

Hem, very interesting faeces! :wink:

U.F.G Anfield '89

Post by U.F.G Anfield '89 »

Yes, Hopefully soon we'll be seeing more in the way of new faces coming in from other clubs than new faeces from the tabloids.

Drone

Defence strengthen fur sure

Post by Drone »

Yes, an defence leader, an experienced defence player, an Midfielder who can score and be a dogfighter and an ice coald finisher.
The players we have aint bad at all, but somehow they are shamed from the net.
I dont know what a impact you guys can have in Arse board, but they definitely should work on this way.

As about an outsider, i only watch games in tv neve have the pleasure to watch them live, but i definitely like the way they play.

Go Arse, stand uo all Gooners.

Galasso

Post by Galasso »

KAQAK

Just to let you know - we have absolutely NO influence over the board or decision makers whatsoever. And its so quiet at the ground that you probably get a better atmosphere over there in Kosovo.

Sorry, just feeling a little cynical tonight.

Just remember that you support a club that retains its class and dignity.

Romana

Post by Romana »

Kolo Toure would be an excellent captain, and I have said all season TH shouldn't be captain not only coz it has affected the way he plays but also because it is very hard for a striker to be captain you need someone who is constantly facing the game, not with his back to it.

Also think Gilberto would be an excellent captain, he was fantastic when he was captain but it was given away to TH (which I think was part of the influence to make him stay) he should be given another chance

green gooner

Post by green gooner »

When Tony Adams comes out with all that piano playing art loving dung nowadays he just looks like a twat!