ARE ARSENAL STILL A BIG CLUB?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Are Arsenal FC Still a Big Club?

YES
55%
NO
45%

Total votes: 47

frankbutcher

Post by frankbutcher »

DB10GOONER wrote:
frankbutcher wrote:
kiwomya wrote:More "facts" shat from the anus of Babatunde.

You dismiss all of Wenger's opinions yet now seem to be holding him to his comment on us "not being a big club" if we sold Fabregas and Nasri.

Despite the amount of posts you rack up I still cannot see how you can call yourself a fan. You set up these threads in order to attack the response of anyone who disagrees with you.

I expect nothing but a diatribe back so try not to let me down.
AKB alert. :moderator:
He may be, but it is a valid point. Babatunde's posting style seems to be irritating a few people. But y'know - it's a free world and once Babatunde doesn't break the rules he is free to post.
Babs argument-style is a little like USMartin, but at the other end of the scale. Bizarre....

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

frankbutcher wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
frankbutcher wrote:

You dismiss all of Wenger's opinions yet now seem to be holding him to his comment on us "not being a big club" if we sold Fabregas and Nasri.

Despite the amount of posts you rack up I still cannot see how you can call yourself a fan. You set up these threads in order to attack the response of anyone who disagrees with you.

He may be, but it is a valid point. Babatunde's posting style seems to be irritating a few people. But y'know - it's a free world and once Babatunde doesn't break the rules he is free to post.
Babs argument-style is a little like USMartin, but at the other end of the scale. Bizarre....
Yeah... I was VERY suspicious of Babtunde when he joined (some still are :lol: ) because his posting style was so similar to OCDMartin's but obviously with a different target for the obsession. But I ran his IP through my IT geek mate's IP tracker and Babatunde is posting from London so unless Mad Martin moved it deffo ain't him.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

DB10GOONER wrote:
frankbutcher wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
frankbutcher wrote:

Yeah... I was VERY suspicious of Babtunde when he joined (some still are :lol: ) because his posting style was so similar to OCDMartin's but obviously with a different target for the obsession. But I ran his IP through my IT geek mate's IP tracker and Babatunde is posting from London so unless Mad Martin moved it deffo ain't him.
Puls us Mratin"s speling and grammer was no very good. but baBatund is realy smart. Hlebbi said so. :wink:

topcat

Post by topcat »

DB10GOONER wrote:
frankbutcher wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
frankbutcher wrote:

I wouldn't be so sure, i think there are ways you can place yourself anywhere you want. And lets face it Usmartin did seem geeky enough to now how to do that sort of thing.

RaM

Post by RaM »

I voted yes.

But maybe I'm not judging 'club' correctly.

We're certainly a big brand.

Percy Dalton

Post by Percy Dalton »

RaM wrote:I voted yes.

But maybe I'm not judging 'club' correctly.

We're certainly a big brand.
Compared to Man Yoo, Barcelona and the lke we are anything but a big brand!

In terms of marketing, we are years behind them which is why they have Asia sewn up.

We now have as much chance of selling shirts there as I have selling bacon snadwiches in a synagogue!

8)

Babatunde

Post by Babatunde »

Judging by how precious some people are getting, I think the answer to this question is clear! TeeCee just so you know, to have a chance of passing English Lit O-Level you'll need to learn a few basic orthography rules.
:)

Babatunde

Post by Babatunde »

Here's another excercise I thought of:

Imagine there was an aggregate transfer market in which all players were for sale. What do you think the cumulative worth of the Arsenal squad would be compared to a big club?

Cos I personally think they'd fetch even less than Spuds, Everton and Newcastle squads.

RVP should be worth far more but there's s reason no big club has had a proper punt on him. I think the only player in that whole squad with Amy serious transfer value is Wilshere. Chesney? No chance, plenty of competent young keepers about.

Thoughts?

Babatunde

Post by Babatunde »

I also feel a perfect example of Arsenal's small time mentality can be reflected in the fact that our chairman and many fans, couldn't understand the logic of Barca signing Cesc even though they already had great players.
Big clubs want the best and keep on adding.
Cesc's performances for them vindicates the logic.

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

I think Spurs might have more value in their squad.

Newcastle not.

Everton, don't know and can't be bothered to work it out.

Good that we've found our level though.

:wink:

Percy Dalton

Post by Percy Dalton »

Babatunde wrote:Here's another excercise I thought of:

Imagine there was an aggregate transfer market in which all players were for sale. What do you think the cumulative worth of the Arsenal squad would be compared to a big club?

Cos I personally think they'd fetch even less than Spuds, Everton and Newcastle squads.

RVP should be worth far more but there's s reason no big club has had a proper punt on him. I think the only player in that whole squad with Amy serious transfer value is Wilshere. Chesney? No chance, plenty of competent young keepers about.

Thoughts?

I agree with you on most things Babatunde but I think you are stretching things a bit there.

You may not personally like them as players but I would think Walcott, Vermaelen, Chesney, Sagna, Song and possibly Arshavin would all have decent resale value.

Add to that new signings like Ox, Gervinho and Arteta and I am 1000% sure we would recoup far more than Newcastle and Everton although I would put us in the same value bracket as The Heebs.

8)

Babatunde

Post by Babatunde »

See what you're saying Percy but Song? Doubt it. Verm? Crock.
Gervinho? He's no chance of being re-sold fir more than £11mil! Arteta? Good player but take age and injuries. Walcott? One year of contract left next summer, not very good.
Arshavin? Age. I rate him but can only see Zenit shelling out upwards of £10 mil for him.

I think they're all depreciating assets Percy. I could be wrong though...I think Fellaini, Jagielka and Baines would all fetch top dollar. Perhaps Newcastle was stretching it a bit though...

Percy Dalton

Post by Percy Dalton »

I can see Walcott and Gervinho easily bringing in £10 million each and Arshavin will go back to some mega-ric Russian side.

I would disagree with you about Vermaelen and Song though. Ok Vermaelen has had an injury nightmare of late but should he go the rest of the season injury free that would all be forgotten and he would be as hot a property on the transfer markey as Chaill was, if not more. With regards to Song, many may not like him but I can guarantee he would bring in £8 million or above should he go on the market. Seriously there would be teams from all over Europe happy to take him on board.

Yes, the three Everton players you have mentioned are their best trio but I would still say you could get the three with change to spare for £30 million with absolute ease.

You couldn't say that if you wanted to capture Arsenal's top three!

8)

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

Babatunde wrote:See what you're saying Percy but Song? Doubt it. Verm? Crock.
Gervinho? He's no chance of being re-sold fir more than £11mil! Arteta? Good player but take age and injuries. Walcott? One year of contract left next summer, not very good.
Arshavin? Age. I rate him but can only see Zenit shelling out upwards of £10 mil for him.

I think they're all depreciating assets Percy. I could be wrong though...I think Fellaini, Jagielka and Baines would all fetch top dollar. Perhaps Newcastle was stretching it a bit though...
Jagielka's coming up to 30 mate. He isn't going to become any more expensive.

I think we would fetch more at the present time than Everton. Gervinho we might not get £11m but somewhere near, he's still a regular international.

And crocks? Fellaini's been more than once out long-term injured, so would he not compare with Vermaelen? van Persie, whatever you say, would fetch some decent money, as would Wilshire.

So I think if you looked at it rationally (I know, :lol:), we would get more for our squad than Everton.

safcftm

Post by safcftm »

Babatunde wrote:Here's another excercise I thought of:

Cos I personally think they'd fetch even less than Spuds, Everton and Newcastle squads.RVP should be worth far more but there's s reason no big club has had a proper punt on him. I think the only player in that whole squad with Amy serious transfer value is Wilshere. Chesney? No chance, plenty of competent young keepers about.

Thoughts?
:coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: