Underhill last night, lack of respect, awareness, discipline

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Babatunde

Post by Babatunde »

Not going off on one Olgit. Labelling this as a "black kids" comment is plain retarded though. Can you not see this?

BG: how's your obsession going? I'm going to the Citeh game on Sunday, fancy a beer beforehand? Oh right, you don't bother with games forgot...
:roll:

SouthCoastArsenal

Post by SouthCoastArsenal »

[quote="Babatunde"][quote="SouthCoastArsenal"]"F**k off man, I'll f**k you up, I'll kill you, get your own"

"You're a baller"

Black kids in London love to talk 'Gangster' & american slang

White kids like to sound like blacks

That's what gets my goat. Give it 10 years & 'cockney' will no longer exist.

Eastmond is an arsehole, not too impressed with Frimpong either.

Does it surprise me though? Not one little bit..........[/quote]

Oh right. ALL black kids in London talk like that right?
And they're corrupting white kids too eh?
Funny you make this claim as I've read the homework of black kids who write far superior English to yours.

How do you explain this then?
Joker....
:roll:[/quote]

Never said that all black kids speak like that, nor anything about them 'corrupting' white kids. Superior homework from black kids? What's that got to do with anything?

Bit of a chip on your shoulder I think mate.....

brazilianGOONER

Post by brazilianGOONER »

Babatunde wrote:Not going off on one Olgit. Labelling this as a "black kids" comment is plain retarded though. Can you not see this?

BG: how's your obsession going? I'm going to the Citeh game on Sunday, fancy a beer beforehand? Oh right, you don't bother with games forgot...
:roll:
i don't. going to games is for pussies.

couch supporting is the new deal :barscarf:

right flashy? :lol: :lol:

olgitgooner

Post by olgitgooner »

Babatunde wrote:Not going off on one Olgit. Labelling this as a "black kids" comment is plain retarded though. Can you not see this?
Nope.

quote "

White kids like to sound like blacks "

I don't see this comment as "retarded". It's a general observation. And one I don't disagree with.

It's very common for youngsters to take on the accent/personna of people they admire. Or who they want to fit in with.

A relative of mine is a white boy who has the same accent and mannerisms of his black friends. Totally unlike his brothers, who speak Thames Estuary.

I also know some really posh kids who contrive to talk like chavs.

Imitation, as they say, is the sincerest form of flattery.

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

Bit of a chip on your shoulder I think mate.....

agreed, you should have seen the way he jumped on my comment in the rooney rule thread, and the fact he still ignores highbury jd's explanation about the naijaboy comment . Not only that but his pathetic favela joke directed at BG. babatunde is a hypocrite of the highest order.

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

Eastmond is a stain on this club, wasn't upset when he broke his leg and hope he never turns out for the first team again, hate this type of wude boy.

yeahbaby

Post by yeahbaby »

olgitgooner wrote:
Nope.

quote "

I don't see this comment as "retarded". It's a general observation. And one I don't disagree with.

It's very common for youngsters to take on the accent/personna of people they admire. Or who they want to fit in with.

A relative of mine is a white boy who has the same accent and mannerisms of his black friends. Totally unlike his brothers, who speak Thames Estuary.

Broad generalisations in regards to supposed notions of race are ignorant.
Regardless of race.

Personally i get more offended by ignorant nonsense like that than i would about a couple of footballers swearing at each other.

The statement wasnt qualified at all, the first.question would be who exactly are these 'black' kids being refferred to?

1st generation?
West indian
West african
East african
South london

I could go on.

Not to mention the fact that if you go to a arsenal game you'll see a load of geezers from essex and surrey talking like they were raised in the east end.

Lol
Nonsense

Sutch

Post by Sutch »

EDIT - Apologies, must remember not to leave laptop unattended :roll:
Last edited by Sutch on Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

olgitgooner

Post by olgitgooner »

yeahbaby wrote:
olgitgooner wrote:
Nope.

quote "

Regardless of race.

Personally i get more offended by ignorant nonsense like that than i would about a couple of footballers swearing at each other.

The statement wasnt qualified at all, the first.question would be who exactly are these 'black' kids being refferred to?

1st generation?
West indian
West african
East african
South london

I could go on.

Not to mention the fact that if you go to a arsenal game you'll see a load of geezers from essex and surrey talking like they were raised in the east end.

Lol
Nonsense
Not a broad generalisation. It's a general observation. Big difference.

It's not group specific. Just black kids and a smaller number of white kids who talk "gangsta".

What have your "gor blimey" geezers have got to do with anything? :?

Sutch

Post by Sutch »

EDIT - Apologies, must remember to not leave laptop unattended :roll:

Sutch

Post by Sutch »

EDIT - Apologies, must remember to not leave laptop unattended :roll:

yeahbaby

Post by yeahbaby »

olgitgooner wrote:
yeahbaby wrote:
olgitgooner wrote:
Nope.

quote "

Regardless of race.

1st generation?
West indian
West african
East african
South london

I could go on.

Lol
Nonsense

It's not group specific. Just black kids and a smaller number of white kids who talk "gangsta".

Lol please explain to me what the BIG difference between 'general' and 'broad'?

General observations ARE broad. Ie 'black kids' i ask again who exactly are these black kids?
Jamaican? Nigerian? If you think they talk the same and can be lumped into a general or broad group of black kids youd just be highlighting your ignorance of linguistic differences.

Which is fine.
You are entitled to make generalisations

And im entitled to point out how your broad generalisations about kids based on your ideas of race are ignorant and wrong - imo

yeahbaby

Post by yeahbaby »

Black kids in london love to talk 'gangster'

Lmao

MadRich

Post by MadRich »

olgitgooner wrote:

:shock: :shock:
I know its just ignorance from your side.
I'm a black, but don't speak with that twang..
But I do really though :wink:

Interesting read about that 'twang'

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/fe ... guage.html

LyusN1

Post by LyusN1 »

MadRich wrote:
olgitgooner wrote:

:shock: :shock:
I know its just ignorance from your side.
I'm a black, but don't speak with that twang..
But I do really though :wink:

Interesting read about that 'twang'

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/fe ... guage.html
That is interesting but really heavily simplified. It's a fascinating topic and one I spent a lot of time studying. It's believed that part of the reason teenagers do talk that way is that it removes all ethnic markers. Certain Cockney features, such as wide, fronted vowels ('fice' for 'face', etc) can be considered 'white', whereas clipped vowels are considered 'black'. There are vowel features from sub-continental Asia too although, if I'm honest, my memory can't stretch as to what.

By taking a base of Cockney, i.e., 'f' for 'th', (I think it's called labiodental fricative), glottal stops ('dropping' the 't' in the middle of 'butter', etc) and having these new innovative features, all the studies come to the conclusion that it is the youth of London breaking down all ethnic markers in their speech by all speaking the same. It is an ethnically neutral way of speaking.

The irony is that slightly more wealthy 'white' children who aren't from the council estates emulate it in order to sound more 'black'. But those who grow up speaking it organically tend to be doing it for the complete opposite reason - it's subconscious though.

It's important to note that the base of this 'new' London dialect (which actually is quite old), is actually Cockney. That was the springboard. So there is homage paid towards it. A lot of 'gangstas' even have certain rhyming slang words in their repertoire. I think it's fascinating.

When they say that Cockney is more likely to be spoken in Essex, it's not quite true. There are subtle differences between Estuary and Cockney. One thing I've informally observed in Southend is the rise of 'newer London features' anyway. Where London leads the rest will follow, as it has always been - look at the rapid death of the original Kentish, Essex and Sussex accents and dialects in the face of the spread of Cockney features.

It will change before it is fully assimilated though, if it ever is. The Fenlands are taking on Cockney features but what is coming through is not Cockney or traditional Fenlands. It's a completely new mix between the two.

Sorry for the essay - taking the thread heavily away from the title. It's just this is a particular favourite topic of mine. I spent a lot of time studying it all in academic journals etc.