Atmoshere and look at the emirates

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Would you like the stand names changed

Poll ended at Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:35 pm

Yes
94%
No
6%

Total votes: 16

Ben-gooner14

Atmoshere and look at the emirates

Post by Ben-gooner14 »

As everyone is working so hard to get an anthem sorted we should also be thinking about other things on matchdays, otherwise people's hard work is going to go down the shit pan. First of all, surely if Arsenal knew that such a large amount of people didn't like the names of the stands we could get that changed, I mean we already have the clock up at one end so why shouldn't that be called the clock end. They could always replicate the clock and just have some sought of model next to the Big letters spelling Arsenal. What about the north bank for the opposite end, not very original but part of our history. Instead of the east and west stands or the quadrants as they are called now, what about the Charlie George and Dennis Bergkamp stands with statues of them both next to each one.

Maybe before games you should be in the ground by half an hour before kick off and in your seat 15 mins before kick off, which meant with the anthem people could all be singing before they come out and while there in the tunnel. At half time they could include something like a last orders bell so everyone is in for the start of the second half.

When people sing the anthem should we have everyone standing up as normally people sing louder when they open thier lungs a bit more. Or should only stand, stand up almost like the kop. What about everyone brings thier scarfs and holds them up so it's like a sea of red and white.

U.F.G Anfield '89

Post by U.F.G Anfield '89 »

Also, why do we have to have the clock on the outside, it should be put inside like it was at highbury.

Ben-gooner14

Post by Ben-gooner14 »

Maybe they should have some sort of monument or even a fucking sign saying clock end and put the clock on the inside

the_gooner89

Name the stand

Post by the_gooner89 »

i agree to about the names of the stands at the grove, they need to be given more thought. clock end, north bank. Its a must, then maybe,

The herbert chapman stand

The Rocastle end

Woolwich Arsenal end and so on, soemthing with a bit of history.

As for the Clock, i was speaking to a member of staff when i went to look behind the scenes at the emirates i asked her about the clock and she replied; the club thought that something with such age would'nt look good in the new high tech stadium so they decided against it, it also took alot of persuasion to put it where it is now.

Galasso

Post by Galasso »

This is what Arsenal think of tradition.

You can bet if a corporation offered £20m for the clock to be stuck up one of the Director's arse, the Keith Edelman would,in a very high voice and with a slight limp, be giving the old "we are aware of the fine traditions blah,blah,blah....

I applaud the work that Arsenal do regarding David Rocastle's charity but they pay lip service to the traditions of the club. There is absolutely no feeling of spirit within the stadium, and certainly no nod to who we are as a club. :cry:

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

Galasso i agree, as soon as the club sold the name of the ground to the Emirates they were never going to name any stands so they dont upset the sponsors. It is up to the fans to come up with names for the stands because the club wont.I would like to name one of the stands the INVINCIBLE stand after all the 2004 team.

mcmark27

Post by mcmark27 »

the atmosphere at arsenal is embarrasing, we need to desperately get everyone singing like the block 5 boys! the stands should be the clockend, north bank and then rocastle stand and some other one!

Ben-gooner14

Post by Ben-gooner14 »

Hi this is going to be put on the referendum in the next couple of days, maybe if i can get enough people to do it i will email it to Arsenal info thing and see what they say.

Graham Wilkinson

Post by Graham Wilkinson »

I'm sorry but I'm not with you on this one, guys.

It's too easy always to blame the club. We need to take a bit of responsibility ourselves. If there is a lack of atmosphere at the stadium, it is up to us to change it. Naming a stand after a famous ex-player really isn't going to make the difference.

Also, let's not forget just how uninspiring the names at Highbury were: we had North, East, West and Clock (though even that was sometimes called the South stand). Hardly stunning or original. The only reason people now eulogise about North and Clock is because we had such great memories there. Great games and triumphs make a stand memorable, not what it is called.

There's plenty that could be done to improve the stadium and the "matchday experience". Let's not waste time campaigning to name a part of the stadium the North Stand.

Finally, if we are on the subject of names, the Gooner has fought a lone battle (thanks Kevin, I applaud you) to avoid using the word Emirates as otherwise we will be lumbered with it when the current sponsorship deal ends.

And what is this thread, on the Gooner website, begun by someone who has an interest in names, called?

Ben-gooner14

Post by Ben-gooner14 »

Hi Graham, yes i know that the names of the stand isn't going to make much difference to the atmopshere but that's why I also named this thread the looks of ashburton grove. I wrote 2 paragraphs about some very basic ideas of what could be changed to form a better atmosphere, but improving the atmoshere is going to be all down to the fans not to the club itself. I don't see you coming up with anything, if you can think of something just reply with it.

mcmark27

Post by mcmark27 »

I'm not trying to say that by naming stands will improve the atmosphere, I just believe that we should name the stands and we could therefore sing our ledgendary song about the north bank and clock end!

We need to make it clear to fellow gooners that we have to sing up offering a 12th man, a bit like liverpool! I was there in the fa cup 3rd round last season and the atmosphere was unforgettable. Thats what we need the experience at arsenal to be!!!!

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

Its taken a whole season, but I think I've finally kicked the habit of calling it the E word!!

A momument to Hertbert Chapman is a must. I'd imagine that the club already have something up their sleeves regarding names. Can't believe that they thought Yellow etc would stick forever. Maybe they just need a gentle prod in the right direction.

Chapman (again!), Norris (read your history books) & Wenger himself must feature somewhere at the Grove! Like the idea of the Invincibles as well.