Experiences with fans leaving early.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
goonersid

Re: Experiences with fans leaving early.

Post by goonersid »

I have to admit to sometimes leaving early, last time was my last game when we were 3-0 down to utd 3 seasons ago. I left that day vowing not to return until Wenger was gone. And haven't been back since.
If defeat is 99.9% certain, and we are playing crap, then I just think f**k it! get back to my hotel and get on the booze. I make no apologies for this.

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

In over 30 years of going to games have only left early twice.

Once left on 86 minutes in 1987-88 season to get to the tube early, and I missed a goal, so never did it again. We looked like losing, and we did, but we got a consolation goal that I missed.

The other occasion I got called into work in an emergency. My protestation that I was at a game was met by, "If you do not come now you will be sacked".

Percy Dalton

Post by Percy Dalton »

Ive cum too early several times!

Is this the same thing?

RocastleRock

Post by RocastleRock »

Have never left early and never will leave early.

Though once I went to get a pie at Wigan and missed Thierry's free kick :oops:

Never again.

LDB
Location: Having a cup of tea and waiting for all this to blow over

Post by LDB »

Plenty of superfans in this thread :D :wink:

For run-of-the-mill home games my rule is that I stay till the end if the game is one goal within effecting a result. If not then i generally start heading towards the exit a minute or two into injury time meaning im on the concourse as the full time whistle blows.

This probably qualifies me for a right (spit) roasting from mikey and his well 'ard block 6 mates :shock:

Daycat

Post by Daycat »

Never left early and never will. Dont understand why people do it

SWLGooner
Location: Islington Town Hall, applauding the fourth place trophy.

Post by SWLGooner »

Left early once, when my mate paid for my ticket and train to UTD in the FA Cup last year, he said 'let's go, I don't want to miss the train' at 88 mins, I had no choice really, all I missed was Djourou injuring himself :(

HashKads

Post by HashKads »

SammyDroppedHisShorts wrote:
This Is The Daybreak wrote:Simply do not understand it

Only done it twice, both of them away, Man Utd in the cup in 2008 when we were being tanked 4-0 in the FA Cup...I left 5 minutes before the end to get the earlier train back to London. And Tottenham, also in 2008 in the League Cup Semi Final, again about 5 minutes before...missing the fifth goal, only to avoid the street party that would have been happening on the Tottenham High Road which I had no desire to be a part of. Both times I did feel a bit bad.

But when the game is in the balance I really don't understand that. Last nights winner was one of the best moments of the season, when the ball was down the other end a load of people near us started streaming out thinking it was done but one quick counter attack later and sheer bedlam. Those moments are what football and supporting Arsenal is all about.
I reckon the club should film the fans leaving through the gates and then when a goal as late as last night is scored show on the board the reactions of the early leavers lol

Like when they record peoples reactions when they come out of a scary movie in the cinema. And play them on the big screens so all the people that stayed can see them and lol :lol:

littlefire

Post by littlefire »

I'd like to see a special little section for 'em in the Grove - somewhere out of sight with its' own little exit.

:twisted:

northbankbren

Post by northbankbren »

It never seemed to happen at highbury, in my lifetime anyway, a few, but not the streams you get these days.

Memories of the new stadium in reagards to early leavers....BAD.

VS Yank Mancs in euro semi - First 10 mins, the best atmosphere the stadium had seen till that point. Utd score, after what 20mins? The amount of people around me who just walked out and didnt come back, was mad! AFTER 20MINS!!!!

VS think it was spartac moscow, first year at the stadium (have posted this story here before, but still haunts me to this day), was in club level, freezing night. Next to us and in front of us a group of almost 15-20 guys who all knew each other and were clearly season ticket holders in the club level. Watched 1st half...and in total 2 returned to their seats for the 2nd...what made it worse, the first was the guy sitting next to me returned around 5mins into the 2nd half. The 2nd about 15mins into the 2nd half. The guy next to me asked the other...where are the guys? "They're having a pint watching it on the screens" was the response. And the didnt bother returning to their seats. True story.

But even in the commoners zone its mad. The is there a fire drill should be picked up on more. But just brings bemused stares as hardly anyone understands let alone joins in.

In other words....I miss Highbury. :cry: :cry: :cry:

HashKads

Post by HashKads »

northbankbren wrote:It never seemed to happen at highbury, in my lifetime anyway, a few, but not the streams you get these days.

Memories of the new stadium in reagards to early leavers....BAD.

VS Yank Mancs in euro semi - First 10 mins, the best atmosphere the stadium had seen till that point. Utd score, after what 20mins? The amount of people around me who just walked out and didnt come back, was mad! AFTER 20MINS!!!!

VS think it was spartac moscow, first year at the stadium (have posted this story here before, but still haunts me to this day), was in club level, freezing night. Next to us and in front of us a group of almost 15-20 guys who all knew each other and were clearly season ticket holders in the club level. Watched 1st half...and in total 2 returned to their seats for the 2nd...what made it worse, the first was the guy sitting next to me returned around 5mins into the 2nd half. The 2nd about 15mins into the 2nd half. The guy next to me asked the other...where are the guys? "They're having a pint watching it on the screens" was the response. And the didnt bother returning to their seats. True story.

But even in the commoners zone its mad. The is there a fire drill should be picked up on more. But just brings bemused stares as hardly anyone understands let alone joins in.

In other words....I miss Highbury. :cry: :cry: :cry:
If true; :suicide: That is shameful.

SouthCoastArsenal

Post by SouthCoastArsenal »

Not quite leaving early, but I was in the Lower Tier at The Bernabeu (with the Madrid fans - and hundreds of Arsenal), behind the goal where Henry scored the winner.

Only, at the time he did it (48th ish minute), I was still enjoying a half time pint.

Still haunts me to this day.......

mikeyb772001
Location: Block 6! Drunk and standing next to a mad man with no clothes on!

Post by mikeyb772001 »

LDB wrote:Plenty of superfans in this thread :D :wink:

For run-of-the-mill home games my rule is that I stay till the end if the game is one goal within effecting a result. If not then i generally start heading towards the exit a minute or two into injury time meaning im on the concourse as the full time whistle blows.

This probably qualifies me for a right (spit) roasting from mikey and his well 'ard block 6 mates :shock:

i take it you leave cinema's early. Before the film ends?

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

mikeyb772001 wrote:
LDB wrote:Plenty of superfans in this thread :D :wink:

i take it you leave cinema's early. Before the film ends?
If the film is crap and I can see how it is going to end, then yes. :lol:

hugh jardon

Post by hugh jardon »

I always make a point of staying to the end but had a tantrum after their fourth goal at the 4-4 draw v Spurs a few seasons ago and stormed out with the hump.

Also the CL semi final home leg v Man Utd I left about twenty minutes before the end as it was so painful to watch.

It's madness really as one day you're bound to miss the mother of all comebacks.

I bought the (crap and very disappointing) "It's Up For Grabs Now" DVD and on it there is an interview with a fan who unbelievably left Anfield before the final whistle with the score at 1-0 and so missed the Michael Thomas goal and possibly the biggest single moment in the history of Arsenal Football Club... It was a woman but even so...