Sad but true

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
supergeorgegraham

Sad but true

Post by supergeorgegraham »

While we are all enjoying this very good run that we are on I saw something last night that made me realise something.
Many of us have began to believe that Wenger has learnt some very harsh lessons from this season but one massive error remains that means we will always be around the top 4 with him in charge but winning anything meaningful like the title or the Champ League will never happen.
Our team is as good as our weakest player on the pitch. Against a good team that weak player can turn a win into a defeat in a second.
Against Barcelona or Madrid or even AC Milan, Santos would have been slaughtered. A really poor defender who will play many times for us next season.
Ramsey is another player who has had a poor season will Wilshere replace him next season or will Wenger continue to play players out of form.
Reason United do so well is that Fergie will not allow poor performances to last longer than one game. Rest assured United will go on to win the League now.
Up front we have the wide players like Walcott and Ox and the amazing VP but apart from them and Rosicky it is dire.
For me the next transfer window is now really a case of where this management want Arsenal FC to be. Its 50/50 as to if its success or failure

SammyDroppedHisShorts
Location: In front of the best fans on earth. The Arse and all.

Re: Sad but true

Post by SammyDroppedHisShorts »

supergeorgegraham wrote:While we are all enjoying this very good run that we are on I saw something last night that made me realise something.
Many of us have began to believe that Wenger has learnt some very harsh lessons from this season but one massive error remains that means we will always be around the top 4 with him in charge but winning anything meaningful like the title or the Champ League will never happen.
Our team is as good as our weakest player on the pitch. Against a good team that weak player can turn a win into a defeat in a second.
Against Barcelona or Madrid or even AC Milan, Santos would have been slaughtered. A really poor defender who will play many times for us next season.
Ramsey is another player who has had a poor season will Wilshere replace him next season or will Wenger continue to play players out of form.
Reason United do so well is that Fergie will not allow poor performances to last longer than one game. Rest assured United will go on to win the League now.
Up front we have the wide players like Walcott and Ox and the amazing VP but apart from them and Rosicky it is dire.
For me the next transfer window is now really a case of where this management want Arsenal FC to be. Its 50/50 as to if its success or failure
Most the above is true.

However, I think looking at who we offload is key to success.
We also need to strengthen all over the pitch and bringing some serious quality.
Podolski IS a start and players such as Dempsey good squad additions.
Our best 11 is a match for anyone and can see us challenge for honours, but the depth is very messy.

However, we are in a much better state of affairs than that of when the August window was open, and I feel we have come on strongly throughout the season. The squad is thin on class, but a bit of cleaning up, offloading 10 squad players and bringing in three top notch talents.

Sell the following

Almunia
Fabianski
Hoyte
Bartley
Squillachi
Eastmond
Park
Bendtner
Denilson
Vela
Chamakh

That's a team of players

Promote

Ignasi
Aneke
Afobe
Yennaris

Buy

Podolski
Dempsey
+1
+1

Remembering Benyoun won't be ours either.

Red Member

Post by Red Member »

1) I imagine that a year ago you would have been saying that Koscielny was a poor defender too
I don't see that Santos has done a lot wrong to be honest. Clichy made far more mistakes
2) If Wilshere had been fit then obviously Ramsey wouldnt have got so many games. He is a good reserve player though
3) you say that up front we have Walcott, the OX, RVP and Rosicky. I am not sure what the problem is, I would have thought that was pretty good and it looks like Podolski is coming this summer anyway

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

Red Member wrote:1) I imagine that a year ago you would have been saying that Koscielny was a poor defender too
I don't see that Santos has done a lot wrong to be honest. Clichy made far more mistakes
2) If Wilshere had been fit then obviously Ramsey wouldnt have got so many games. He is a good reserve player though
3) you say that up front we have Walcott, the OX, RVP and Rosicky. I am not sure what the problem is, I would have thought that was pretty good and it looks like Podolski is coming this summer anyway

1) Last year he was poor, this year he's better. No world-beater but better. So, one bad one good. Let's see next year if he can maintain some consistency.

2) Wilshire/Ramsey has little correlation, given there are other options than Ramsey.

3) Chamakh/Park taking up places on the bench, Bendtner/Vela on loan. All duds. Need genuine forward cover, not makeshift playmakers and wingers.

psychoangus

Post by psychoangus »

Think it's harsh to judge Santos yet, he's been out for a very long time and has shown flashes of quality in some games prior to his injury. Looks a bit slimmer now too.

Give him a pre-season and see how he gets on next season.

rigsby

Post by rigsby »

Can we lay of Ramsey please. Its his first full season and he's done OK.

augie

Post by augie »

I too think judging santos, who has spent a few months out injured, is extremely harsh - I know that I have been quick to write off the klingon but an extra 6 months aint going to get him the brains required to play at this level :roll:

I also think we should be more patient with ramsey - I agree that he hasnt progressed as we had hoped but I would be willing to wait until next season to show he is good enough or else write him off. God knows walnut has been given more time to prove himself and he still hasnt shown enough to suggest he can be good enough to play at this level yet there are many who want the club to give the guy 80k+ per week :roll: :oops: :oops: :banghead:

swimmer1

Post by swimmer1 »

Santos is is our 2nd choice left back will do a job I have got no problems with him we have other areas to worry about ie lack of top class cover for RVP .

psychoangus

Post by psychoangus »

To be honest, with Wilshere back, signing Benny permanently and Podolski I'd be pretty happy with the squad.

I'd add Joao Moutinho but that's about it.

Red Member

Post by Red Member »

hopefully podolski can be the cover for RVP

i think the biggest problem is our lack of goalkeepers.
we need an experienced keeper as backup to Chesney.

supergeorgegraham

Post by supergeorgegraham »

I totally agree with the Koscielny point. He has been our best improvement this season by far. Maybe Santos will be ok I certainly hope so.
Overall though we do seem to play players out of form and that has been a problem over the last 5 or 6 years.
I would like to see Ox start more but thats based on the fact he has always done well in my view.

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

Red Member wrote:hopefully podolski can be the cover for RVP

i think the biggest problem is our lack of goalkeepers.
You see a full German international in his prime as only cover for van Persie?

:lol:
Last edited by arseofacrow on Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

rigsby

Post by rigsby »

Absolutley, this is something Wenger should get done this summer. Fabianski looks like he's off, so we should go after a 'Keeper whose maybe towards the end of his playign days (2 years) who is experienced.

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

rigsby wrote:
Absolutley, this is something Wenger should get done this summer. Fabianski looks like he's off, so we should go after a 'Keeper whose maybe towards the end of his playign days (2 years) who is experienced.
Almunia fits the bill!

:wink:

mike_stefan

Post by mike_stefan »

Agreed with the others... Santos should be given next season BUT i think he has a poor first touch and plays too high up the pitch for a defender... he is a defender who doesn't defend and a poor imitation of Daniel Alves. But he should be given time and might well improve.

I personally would like to see more Northern Europe defenders - Dutch / Belgian / Scandi / German. Generally tall, solid and well built, strong, no-nonsense types who won't moan about the weather and wear gloves and longjohns in October. No slow-coaches though.