Van Persie saga, officially not extending contract.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
flash gunner

Re: Van Persie saga, officially not extending contract.

Post by flash gunner »

rigsby wrote:You can't give RVP 200 grand a week, that would be ridiculous and a terrible investment in a player. He's not 23.
Fuck the money i dont give a fuck who gets what, we need to keep our best players simple as that. I remember a time when no one knew or cared how much players got or what our finances were. Keeping RVP is paramount to a more successful season

Post by 1989 »

Red Member wrote:the thing is it is easy to have a go at RVP but most players these days are like him.
what I am annoyed about is the continuing lack of ambition shown by Arsenal. If RVP wanted £200,000+ per week then give it to him and make savings elsewhere.It is impossible to win trophies unless you have a few of the very best players in your team.

if RVP is sold to Man United then Arsenal FC have sunk to a new low. Supporters will then be right to ask why was Highbury demolished. Did anyone really think back in 2006 that 6 years on and the club would be selling its best players to our closest rivals so it could balance the books and target a top 4 finish?
How have we not shown ambition this summer?

WUM. :roll:

Rocky Number Seven
Location: North Bank, Turnstile D, Block 7, Row 8, Seat 225 / Essex

Post by Rocky Number Seven »

Red Member wrote:the thing is it is easy to have a go at RVP but most players these days are like him.
what I am annoyed about is the continuing lack of ambition shown by Arsenal. If RVP wanted £200,000+ per week then give it to him and make savings elsewhere.It is impossible to win trophies unless you have a few of the very best players in your team.

if RVP is sold to Man United then Arsenal FC have sunk to a new low. Supporters will then be right to ask why was Highbury demolished. Did anyone really think back in 2006 that 6 years on and the club would be selling its best players to our closest rivals so it could balance the books and target a top 4 finish?
They haven't been our closest rivals for almost 10 years.

Red Member

Post by Red Member »

do you really think the club has any ambition to win trophies this season if they are prepared to sell RVP to Man United?
If you do then you must be the most deluded supporter I have ever encountered.

we have so far bought a fading german player, a reserve french player and some unknown spaniard.
and you think that shows ambition to win anything???? or do you consider a top 4 place worthy of a trophy?

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Red Member wrote:1989

do you really think the club has any ambition to win trophies this season if they are prepared to sell RVP to Man United?

we have so far bought a fading german player, a reserve french player and some unknown spaniard.
and you think that shows ambition to win anything???? or do you consider a top 4 place worthy of a trophy?
I think there is a middle ground between you and 1989. Red your description of our summer buys is OTT but then so is 1989's excitement about them!!! We have strengthened but have we done enough to convince RVP? only he knows and compared to recent summers we have but we still have no 'blue ribbon' signings as such

mikeyb772001
Location: Block 6! Drunk and standing next to a mad man with no clothes on!

Post by mikeyb772001 »

I agree if we sell RVP to manure it don’t matter who we sign it shows a complete lack of ambition.

However Cazorla, Podolski and Giroud are fantastic signings.

Fading German - I don’t think so

French Reserve - leading scorer in France, helped them win a title.

Unknown Spanish player - These shows you have no clue about football. All the big clubs wanted him, real Madrid included and he chose Arsenal. He is viewed as one of the best players in the whole of Spain! On a similar level to Silva and only a small way behind Iniesta

Make no mistake if we keep RVP along with those players we could win a title. Not saying we will, but we could

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

exactaly flash. these signings are all decent, not top class, decent on paper, but also unkwown quantities in this league. the lack of competiotn for their signatures is also a worry, espeically pod and to a lesser extenet giroud.

pod is the biggest concern. worried he could be a huge flop based on his non performances in the euro's

rigsby

Post by rigsby »

Oh change the record. If we signed Messi it would be an unknown quanitity IN THIS LEAGUE. Suggest alternatives in the premiership and I'll listen to that argument.
Fuck the money i dont give a fuck who gets what, we need to keep our best players simple as that. I remember a time when no one knew or cared how much players got or what our finances were. Keeping RVP is paramount to a more successful season
Yes but to keep him we would need to spen that. I fail to see your argument on this point

Post by 1989 »

:lol:

Where have I said we have ambition to win trophies if we sell RVP to ManU? Putting words in my mouth eh?

You insinuated that RVP's desire due to leave is due to a lack of ambition from the club, well that's bollocks, since we HAVE shown ambition by adding 3 top international players and not losing anyone important (so far).

And the fact you haven't heard of Cazorla shows what you know.

Red Member

Post by Red Member »

I dont get the hype about this Cazorla

I have just checked his tournament record for Spain.
2010 World Cup - injured with a hernia - he will fit in well here then :lol:
2012 Euros - played 10 minutes against Ireland and 6 minutes v France - :lol:

I understand now why I have never heard of him.
and he is 27 and has only played for Villareal and Malaga. is he a late developer ? :D

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

ok fair enough rigs, but explain why no one else was in for pod, and giroud? even if its mostly BS the media report competion for signings and other clubs being interested in so and so as weel, just look at sahin. pod and i thnik giroud there was not even a mention of another club as far as i can recall.

so your saying all 3 are top class signings. they simply are not. they are good solid decent players well above average, but not top drawer. we have 1 world class player in the side in rvp, maybe from what is said cazorla is. but in the past we had 5-6, and supplemented them.

im not saying the signings are bad. im just saying you cannot say they are top class and go ott on them, and use them to justify the club showing ambition to rvp. espeiclayy as the chief scout admitted giroud was signed to replace rvp...

Red Member

Post by Red Member »

the point is this:

Arsenal will be weaker without Van Persie despite the signings of Giroud, Podolski and Cazorla because none of the new signings are world class players capable of producing match winning performances week in week out.

All it should do is to enable the club to get in the top 4 again which is its target.

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

mikeyb772001 wrote:Unknown Spanish player - These shows you have no clue about football. All the big clubs wanted him, real Madrid included and he chose Arsenal. He is viewed as one of the best players in the whole of Spain! On a similar level to Silva and only a small way behind Iniesta
Really Mikey? Wanted by everyone but he chose us? Sorry mate i cant believe that

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

rigsby wrote:
Yes but to keep him we would need to spen that. I fail to see your argument on this point
My point is i want us to keep our best players and i dont care how the club does it, the end of year accounts and profits do not impress me

rigsby

Post by rigsby »

Well Pod was Arsenal actin early and getting him in. For once we stole a march on other clubs.

Giroud is somewhat of a gamble I'll grant you that. He's not necessarily a replacement more Arsenal were covering themselves if stuff like this happened. He would have been signed even if RVP had stayed.

Cazza (the R on my keyboard is mucked up atm so giving him his new nickname) is a top draw signing, no doubt about it in my mind.

Overall yes RVP was our top striker last year, but if you look around the team now there seems more of a goal threat from all over rather than just the main man up front. This can only be good.

I don't want RVP to go, who does? But when he does and we get lets say 20 mil in for him, IF (and yes I know big IF) we invest that back into the team then I wont be too upset. The rumours of two more players coming in are positive. Lets not let a situation we all know was coming take away from a summer where at least part of the issues that existed have been addressed.