Fun facts about our fringe players

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Barriecuda

Fun facts about our fringe players

Post by Barriecuda »

2010-11 Season, Ligue 1 Top Scorers:

7. Gervinho - 15 goals in 2844 minutes
12. Giroud - 12 goals in 2909 minutes
13. Park (yes, that Park) - 12 goals in 2845 minutes

Two seasons ago JYP had a better goal scoring return than Giroud! Yet we have yet to even give him a run of two games on the trot?

*Source: Ligue 1 database

Chamakh Attack

In 2009-2010, Chamakh had 15 goals in all competitions, started 38 of 38 league games for Bordeaux, scored against Juventus and Bayern in the Champs League and had more header goals in Europe than any other player.

Chamakh holds the record for fastest ever goal scored for Arsenal Football Club at 37 seconds.

*Source: Wiki & memory

Runs in the blood

Carl Jenkinson's father has been a season ticket holder at Highbury/Emirates for over 50 years. He is half-Finnish and has yet not declared for Finland or England for international play.

*Source: Wiki

Greatest Striker That Ever Lived, Ever

Nicklas Bendtner scored a 10 in "Self Perceived Confidence" in a test done by AFC that is scored between 1-9. After 117 questions, Bendtner's responses generated a 10 on the scale - the first and only time that's ever happened.

*Source: Mirror

On June 5th 2009, Bendtner was quoted in the Daily Mail saying: "In about three years, I will be better than Zlatan. He is older than me and has now reached his peak as the top scorer in Serie A - but I have a plan, I believe in it and I am ready... Next season, I can finally make my breakthrough and then I still have two years to become better than Zlatan – and I will. ... By then I will be close to my peak and will be able to look upon myself as one of the world’s greatest strikers.".

As of August 16th 2012, Bendtner finds himself unable to find a club that meets his demands, while Zlatan Ibrahimovic has bought his own island and won both the Serie A and La Liga titles, the Supercopa de Espana & Supercoppa Italia trophies, and has been the Serie A footballer of the year (twice, 09 & 11) and Serie A Top Scorer (twice, 09 & 12).

*Source: Various

DarylAFC

Re: Fun facts about our fringe players

Post by DarylAFC »

Personally I wouldnt mind seeing Chamakh get a run of games next season. Atleast until January to see if he shows signs of his old form.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Snowing heavily in Canadia huh, Barrie? :lol: :wink:

supergeorgegraham

Post by supergeorgegraham »

DarylAFC wrote:Personally I wouldnt mind seeing Chamakh get a run of games next season. Atleast until January to see if he shows signs of his old form.

Question = What do you call a deer with no eyes

Answer = No Idea

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

supergeorgegraham wrote:
DarylAFC wrote:Personally I wouldnt mind seeing Chamakh get a run of games next season. Atleast until January to see if he shows signs of his old form.

Answer = No Idea

What do you call a deer with no eyes and no legs ?

Still no idea.

skizz_b

Post by skizz_b »

StuartL wrote:
supergeorgegraham wrote:

Answer = No Idea

Still no idea.
What do you call a deer with ahhhh forget it :blah: :lol:

Batflyer

Post by Batflyer »

Barriecuda wrote:Chamakh holds the record for fastest ever goal scored for Arsenal Football Club at 37 seconds.

That's not true. Gilberto Silva scored after 20 seconds against PSV Eindhoven in 2002.

By the way, when did Chamakh score at 37 seconds? I must have missed that. :roll:

skizz_b

Post by skizz_b »

Batflyer wrote:
Barriecuda wrote:Chamakh holds the record for fastest ever goal scored for Arsenal Football Club at 37 seconds.

That's not true. Gilberto Silva scored after 20 seconds against PSV Eindhoven in 2002.

By the way, when did Chamakh score at 37 seconds? I must have missed that. :roll:

Wolves away, season before last

I think he set the record that game for the longest time between 2 goals in the same game, got 1 after 37 seconds and 1 in the 3rd min of stoppage time and we won 2-0

One Tony Adams

Post by One Tony Adams »

skizz_b wrote:
Batflyer wrote:

I think he set the record that game for the longest time between 2 goals in the same game, got 1 after 37 seconds and 1 in the 3rd min of stoppage time and we won 2-0

I was at that Wolves Game, freezing wednesday night in November-scored early, sat back and let Wolves have loads of chances (think they hit the bar twice?!) then got one on the break at the end.

You're right, Gilberto scored away at PSV in about 20 seconds, can't think if any quicker goals from our lot...maybe Giroud after 19 seconds tommorow...

One Tony Adams

Post by One Tony Adams »

One Tony Adams wrote:
skizz_b wrote:
Batflyer wrote:

And I think Flappy was in goal??

I was at that Wolves Game, freezing wednesday night in November-scored early, sat back and let Wolves have loads of chances (think they hit the bar twice?!) then got one on the break at the end.

You're right, Gilberto scored away at PSV in about 20 seconds, can't think if any quicker goals from our lot...maybe Giroud after 19 seconds tommorow...

Barriecuda

Post by Barriecuda »

My bad on the stat for Chamakh. I was under the impression that was the fastest goal too so I figured the Wikipedia source was accurate.

What I find interesting, is that two seasons ago Park showed goal scoring potential. He moved to Arsenal and didn't play a game. Giroud, who had the same goal scoring record, goes and becomes top scorer in France. Maybe we should give Park a chance to shine? I really don't think he's as bad a footballer as everyone makes him out to be. Same with Chamakh.

DarylAFC

Post by DarylAFC »

:rubchin: Alex Song?

:lol:

brazilianGOONER

Post by brazilianGOONER »

DB10GOONER wrote:Snowing heavily in Canadia huh, Barrie? :lol: :wink:
:coffeespit:

but seriously, interesting facts 8)