From here to New Year

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

What position at the end of Jan?

1st-3rd
5%
4th place trophy
7%
5th/6th
46%
7th-10th
30%
11th -15th
5%
16th-17th
No votes
Bottom 3
7%

Total votes: 57

OneBardGooner

Re: From here to New Year

Post by OneBardGooner »

armchair supporter wrote:I reckon Theo will be off soon to the victims.
Otherwise I dont see why Wenger hasn't been starting him. Hes been trying out Rambo in that position. He knows the OX or Gerv or even Arseshavin (who by all accounts should be the one to go but he cant get rid of him) can all play there.

So Theo off and no replacement because in Wengerball we already have players for that position.
And they will play him through the middle and he will score lots and lots of goals in that position. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

RioGooner

Post by RioGooner »

Am I the only one that thinks we only miss theo because he's not playing? I mean, he's an ok winger but with his abysmal 1st touch he could never lead a line, imo.

RNTGOONER

Post by RNTGOONER »

safcftm wrote:Looking at those, by and large, kind fixtures up until January I reckon you'll be in 4th pushing for 3rd at the end of the year but that a relatively low points return from January will see you still in 4th but looking warily over your shoulder at 5th rather than hoping to push on to challenge the top 3 come 31st January. Still think you'll end the season in 4th.

You need to update your avatar :lol: I know his loss hurts more than us losing RvP but you have to move on :wink:

dPmunky

Post by dPmunky »

I think it all depends on how the next month goes (obviously). If we seem to regain some form and confidence I can see us in the 4-8th place positions but if we continue to struggle with the likes of Reading, QPR, and Norwich, I really have a hard time seeing us better then 10th.

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

g88ner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:This thread again, huh? We had it last year and some idiots predicted us getting relegated... :lol: :wink:
:lol: :lol:

Yes, I remember Yankee calling me blind and a rosetinter for dismissing out of hand any possibility of us being relegated :shock: :lol:
:coffeespit:

Why would you be looking through rose-tinted specs if you're blind...?

:lol:

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

arseofacrow wrote:
g88ner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:This thread again, huh? We had it last year and some idiots predicted us getting relegated... :lol: :wink:
:lol: :lol:

Yes, I remember Yankee calling me blind and a rosetinter for dismissing out of hand any possibility of us being relegated :shock: :lol:
:coffeespit:

Why would you be looking through rose-tinted specs if you're blind...?

:lol:
hmm... good point :lol:

Naki_Gooner

Post by Naki_Gooner »

Who's gonna score the goals? Isn't that the point? As has already been mentioned, without judas' goals last season where would we have finished? We're looking down the barrel this season, this team has the heart of a cabbage, same old 'no plan b' when we get figured out and lets be honest, the man pulling the strings isnt exactly Boris Spassky in the tactical department is he, so it doesnt take a genius to snuff out our attack. Everyone knows when he's gonna make substitutions, and a rough idea of who will be bought on. As for changing the manager, it doesnt matter who is bought in, they have a hell of a job sorting out the mess they will inherit so don't envy whoever that poor bastard will be, but, don't have to be concerned with that for at least another two seasons do we.

Rant over

Frustration remains however

augie

Post by augie »

I also believe that we will get top 4 at the end of the season simply cos the standard of teams competing for that 4th place is so shite :roll: Hasnt that been the main gripe for the last few years.....we only target that top 4 spot so only buy accordingly and the c**ts running our club know that no matter how shite we are, there is nobody bar the manc teams and the chavs that will finish above us :x

This time last year though we were all saying that we were one injury to rvp away from disaster and the sad thing is that arteta is the nearest player we have to being irreplaceable these days :cry:

What I will also add though, is that if we get turned over by schalke this week fulham will come to the grove at the weekend and get at least a draw. We would be coming into this game with 3 defeats out of the last 4 games (the league cup doesnt count imo) and that narrow victory was at home against the team that was bottom of the table at the time and is yet to win a game :roll: We have no leaders in the club nowadays - we havent got a player that will pull the squad together and knock a few heads and we have a manager that has never believed in doing that nor is he capable of doing it imo.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

RioGooner wrote:Am I the only one that thinks we only miss theo because he's not playing? I mean, he's an ok winger but with his abysmal 1st touch he could never lead a line, imo.
Agreed he has a poor first touch. BUT if he's played as an out and out striker then the first touch (whilst still important - let's not be silly!) is not as vital to his overall game as it is to a winger or midfielder or second striker. If we are getting quality balls to his feet inside the box, a good striker doesn't always need to take a touch then shoot, but rather hit it first time. And with Theo, I've said for a long time he is at his best when he has to just do something instinctively (like shoot), rather than when he is running at people or taking the ball into himself, because when he has time to think he gets undecided and it all goes to shit 9 times out of 10.

Having said that, I'm not totally convinced Theo will succeed in the centre either, but I think it is something that should be tried and found to be true or not. It's been mooted for so long now, it really needs to be put to bed one way or the other and then we either have another striker or the Victims can have a shit winger.

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
RioGooner wrote:Am I the only one that thinks we only miss theo because he's not playing? I mean, he's an ok winger but with his abysmal 1st touch he could never lead a line, imo.
Agreed he has a poor first touch. BUT if he's played as an out and out striker then the first touch (whilst still important - let's not be silly!) is not as vital to his overall game as it is to a winger or midfielder or second striker. If we are getting quality balls to his feet inside the box, a good striker doesn't always need to take a touch then shoot, but rather hit it first time. And with Theo, I've said for a long time he is at his best when he has to just do something instinctively (like shoot), rather than when he is running at people or taking the ball into himself, because when he has time to think he gets undecided and it all goes to shit 9 times out of 10.

Having said that, I'm not totally convinced Theo will succeed in the centre either, but I think it is something that should be tried and found to be true or not. It's been mooted for so long now, it really needs to be put to bed one way or the other and then we either have another striker or the Victims can have a shit winger.

So is that you saying that we should be trying walnut as our lone striker, in this current formation, now ? :shock: Two things stand out for me- (1) no way can he play the role as an isolated striker (2) he doesnt have the instinct to be in the right place at the right time that natural strikers possess.

As somebody else has suggested, wally is a better player when he is out of the side than when he actually plays :roll: :oops:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

So is that you saying that we should be trying walnut as our lone striker, in this current formation, now ? :shock: Two things stand out for me- (1) no way can he play the role as an isolated striker (2) he doesnt have the instinct to be in the right place at the right time that natural strikers possess.

As somebody else has suggested, wally is a better player when he is out of the side than when he actually plays :roll: :oops:
Where did I say play him as an isolated lone striker? :roll:

I've never been a fan of the lone striker in football - it's a purely defensive system that should only ever be used away from home if you are trying to avoid a drubbing and scrapping for a draw. No, if we are to TRY (operative word being TRY) Theo as a striker then it would have to be as part of a two up front.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

I see the Spuds are away at City next weekend, so when they put in a decent effort and lose by the odd goal whilst we gloriously rise above them courtesy of a scrappy 1-0 at home to Fulham will all 'be rosy in the Wenger garden' again

I predict a massive chorus of 'There's Only One Arsene Wenger' at the Bowl followed up by comments about how we've bounced back with a very good spirit. Patrick Barclay who has gone into hibernation since the 1-1 draw at City will write a gushing piece in the Standard about how Wenger has proven all of us spoilt brats wrong once more

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SteveO 35 wrote:I see the Spuds are away at City next weekend, so when they put in a decent effort and lose by the odd goal whilst we gloriously rise above them courtesy of a scrappy 1-0 at home to Fulham will all 'be rosy in the Wenger garden' again

I predict a massive chorus of 'There's Only One Arsene Wenger' at the Bowl followed up by comments about how we've bounced back with a very good spirit. Patrick Barclay who has gone into hibernation since the 1-1 draw at City will write a gushing piece in the Standard about how Wenger has proven all of us spoilt brats wrong once more

Yep, and then we'll lose 2-1 to the Scum. But Hey! We'll have had 60% posession and completed 498 passes. Of about 5 yards each.

Whooppee! :barscarf:

:suicide:

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
augie wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

I've never been a fan of the lone striker in football - it's a purely defensive system that should only ever be used away from home if you are trying to avoid a drubbing and scrapping for a draw. No, if we are to TRY (operative word being TRY) Theo as a striker then it would have to be as part of a two up front.

DB I never said that you claimed that we should play him as an isloated striker - what I am saying is that whether we like it or not the isloated front man is the system we are playing (and will continue to play as long as this c**t is in charge :evil: ) and for me wally does not suit the system so talking about playing him up front is a moot point. I agree totally that the system we play is a negative one and surrenders the inititive to the opposition and is the type of system that the little clubs play to minimise the damage against the better teams :oops: :oops:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
augie wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

DB I never said that you claimed that we should play him as an isloated striker - what I am saying is that whether we like it or not the isloated front man is the system we are playing (and will continue to play as long as this c**t is in charge :evil: ) and for me wally does not suit the system so talking about playing him up front is a moot point. I agree totally that the system we play is a negative one and surrenders the inititive to the opposition and is the type of system that the little clubs play to minimise the damage against the better teams :oops: :oops:
So, basically, if I understand your point here augs, what you are saying, and we both agree on this, is Wenger is now a shit manager with no grasp of tactics and we need him gone fucking ASAP? :wink: