BEST SIGNING DURING THE WENGER YEARS?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

WHO HAS BEEN THE BEST SIGNING DURING WENGER YEARS?

HENRY
26%
VIEIRA
53%
PIRES
5%
PIRES
5%
OVERMARS
5%
TOURE
5%

Total votes: 19

Eboue Can't Defend

BEST SIGNING DURING THE WENGER YEARS?

Post by Eboue Can't Defend »

Who do you think has been the best signing of the Wenger Years? It's an almost impossible decision to make I know, but one worth thinking about in light of the current speculation surrounding the Frenchman's future.

Now you can, if you wish, base it on value for money, importance to the team or just the player who gave you most pleasure.

The list of players Wenger has signed over the past 10 years is obviously too long to include all of them (sorry Pascal and Igor), so I have limited it to what I considered to be the best five signings (it wouldn't allow me to add Cesc as a sixth option!).

DanielD

Post by DanielD »

The heart is saying Vieria, the head is saying Henry and as the Thierry said at the press conference last season "I think with my heart and my heart told me to stay" (i'm getting pissed again). I'm going with Paddy.

Galasso

Post by Galasso »

Yep, Paddy for me too.

We are lucky that it is such a tough decision. I must admit that I am gutted a team containing Bergkamp, Pires, Henry, Igors and Vieira didn't win the European Cup.

gus ceasar is a legend

Post by gus ceasar is a legend »

It has to be Paddy for me!

He changed the place and we had seen nothing like it! He was the first of many Wenger buys who we had no idea who they were until they graced Highbury!

augie

Post by augie »

:) Without a doubt PV4 was Arsene's best signing with the omitted Anelka in 2nd place. I'm not just saying it now cos he's linked with a return but when you buy and player for 500,000 and sell him for 23.5m then that along with the fact that no less of a player than DB10 has stated that le sulk was the best strike partner he had at Arsenal(ahead of henry & wright) makes it brilliant business

T.S

Post by T.S »

Vieira. No question.

Also, I think it's fair to say that Henry was a better transfer than Anelka.

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

Why no Sol Campbell in the poll. He didn"t cost us a penny,at the time he was the best centre half in the premiership.He stepped into TA"s boots and helped us win a double and a title.And played a big part in the Invincible season.How quickly some fans forget.

Eboue Can't Defend

Post by Eboue Can't Defend »

donaldo,

It's not that we forget - I was limited to five choices in the poll by the set-up. Otherwise I would have included Petit, Cesc, Anelka and a couple of others!! I thought I made that clear at the top of this thread. I only selected MY five favourites and, let me tell you, it was bloody hard!!

For what it's worth, I don't think we saw the very best of Sol Campbell at Arsenal. I know he done a very good job during the period when we were phasing out the retiring Adams & Keown and initiating the introduction of Kolo Toure, but I still feel his best performances were at Spurs. Good in the air; pace: strength. He almost had it all in his locker - although you must admit, his passing ability was shocking for an England International!

I could have included Anelka but it would have been more due to the massive transfer fee he got us, rather than his footballing contribution (good though that was). He was only in the first team for 18 months and, because he was sold while still young at the time, we never really got the chance to see the best of him at Arsenal.

Close run thing that it was, Patrick Vieira was my choice - just ahead of Thierry. The deciding factors for me were, firstly: that Patrick set the ball rolling in the direction of success for us under Wenger. Secondly, he gave Arsenal everything he had when on the pitch; mentally, physically and emotionally. Finally, I also asked myself which player did I feel the team could do least without? The player that, when I saw he wasn't in the line-up, made me fear for our chances? The conclusion I came to - and I stress it was a really difficult decision - was the mighty Patrick Vieira.

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

ECD my point about Sol was no other player who joined Arsenal was under more pressure than him when he signed for us.He could have taken the easy option when he left the scum.And he played a big part in helping Toure become the defender he is none.As for Anelka a lot of fans seem to have forgotten what a disruptive force he was in the dressing room.Remember the 1998 cup final when he scored and no-one went to celebrate with him. My choice would be TH14 then PV4.we were so lucky to have seen two real world class players at their peak.

Trevheff

Post by Trevheff »

Paddy. Never before have I seen an Arsenal player, well any player, single handledy control and boss games on such a regular basis as Patrick did. He was phenomenal. Not only did he completely transform Arsenal I think he changed the way people thing about central midfielders. Gone were the days when you had one holding midfielder and one play maker. Patrick broke the mould and one the first genuine complete midfielder. Never before has a player scared the living sh*t out of the opposition as Vieira did.

gus ceasar is a legend

Why Alberto Mendez and Igor Stepanovs are not on the list I will never know!

Am I wrong but didn't Monsieur Wenger re-sign Johnny Lukic?

Now that was some signing! He should be an Arsenal legend in my eyes!

T.S

Post by T.S »

Nah, naah naah, naaah naah, naah naah, nah-na-naah. Nah nah naaah, na-nah na-nah naah, naah na-naah, naah, naah, nah nah...VIVAS!

That's all I have to say about that.

Galasso

Post by Galasso »

AW track record in the transfer market stands up against anyone.

Even some of his middling signings such as Grimandi, Garde, Petit and Luzhny can said to have done a reasonable job for us.

gus ceasar is a legend

Petit a "middling" signing????? Fucking hell!

What other "middling" signings did we have? Viera Overmars etc?