Was think about Huntelaar just rumours

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Ben-gooner14

Was think about Huntelaar just rumours

Post by Ben-gooner14 »

I remember a couple of months ago gooners seem to have an interest in buying Huntelaar from Ajax and scored quite highly on the referendum of if Arsene brought anyone in this summer who would it be ? I just want to know as Arsenal need a stirker was it just rumours and we just sort of put him on a wishlist of who we might want to but, and has Arsenal ever actually been interested in him when the rumours were going round a couple of months ago.

DDignam

Post by DDignam »

Not sure really, he has a high asking price and is seen as another future star, think he will purchase proven quality first off

Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Cheaper than Torres.

Unlikely we will get eto'o and spuds would price berbatov out of our reach (have to wait till end of his contract like Sol!), so I would put him top of my list of wanted strikers although can see how Anelka resigning will work.

augie

Post by augie »

:wink: Would he be cheaper than torres when you throw in reyes going to ath madrid in part exchange ? Eto would be my 1st choice as a high profile short term fix(have concerns over his temperment long term) but i think torres would be a brilliant signing for us & for the player himself. I believe the link up with cesc and torres would be mouth watering to say the least and when you add van persie & rosicky to the mix fans would very quickly get over the loss of henry

demzy

Post by demzy »

i would love to see a big name star come in, but i think we will get babel from ajax (not that he's not a good player). i think huntelaar would fit right in, he scored 37 goals in around 45 games last season and thats quality no matter what league it is in.

Galasso

Post by Galasso »

demzy wrote:i would love to see a big name star come in, but i think we will get babel from ajax (not that he's not a good player). i think huntelaar would fit right in, he scored 37 goals in around 45 games last season and thats quality no matter what league it is in.
I have seen enough of this guy Huntelaar to be impressed and think he would make an inpact in England.

Perhaps it will come down to the way that we want to play and who best fits in to the system. Because one-trick ponies (Anelka/Owen, and albeit an effective trick) are a different proposition to Babel or Huntelaar who have more all round games.

mrmage

Post by mrmage »

forgot about the Reyes angle! Nice, bring on Torres! Bendter and Theo and Adebayor as back up, happy with that!

Mike1
Site Admin

Post by Mike1 »

And of course Huntelaar has already made his mark on Arsenal's history by scoring the first goal at the new stadium in DB's testimonial match. It was disappointing at the time as we all hoped that a true Arsenal legend would score the first, but perhaps we were just being short-sighted and a true Arsenal legend did score the first, we just didn't know it at the time!

Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Exactly. He looked pretty useful in the 45 minutes he played too.

Cesc/Torres would be good but so would Huntelaar/RVP and with Cesc in behind they would be a threat.

Would love to get Torres but just think we are third choice between the scousers and staying at madrid. Was he not pictured with 'you'll never walk alone' hanging from his captains armband last season?

Tevez appears to be saying the right things according to skysports today regarding joining us but at the moment Anelka seems to be in pole position.