Olivier Giroud - Another Alan Smith or "Le Chapman"?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SteveO 35

Re: Olivier Giroud and Alan Smith

Post by SteveO 35 »

Come on then where's the case for the defence of Le Chapman tonight?

Quick to condemn me when he knocks over West Ham at home, less forthcoming when he's proved his level against the likes of Bayern and the Scummers (or even mighty Blackburn)

He really was something else tonight. That graceful left footed swipe into row Z near the end truly befitting of man with his talents

"Van Persie was sold for footballing reasons"

We replaced him with a bloke loaned out to a Ligue 3 side not so long ago

LDB
Location: Having a cup of tea and waiting for all this to blow over

Post by LDB »

Quickly coming into SteveO's camp on this one, just does nothing to move their defenders around so doesn't even create space for others. The flicks look good against dross only. One of the least mobile players I've ever seen. He wasn't helped today by the fact the bloke who was supposed to be playing off him kept treading on his toes but even so he looked like the easiest forward in the league to defend against. Would have rather'd Jay Bothroyd up there.

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

what is your obsession with Giroud about Steveo? tell me where all these Giroud fans were because they weren't on here :|

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

LDB wrote:Quickly coming into SteveO's camp on this one, just does nothing to move their defenders around so doesn't even create space for others. The flicks look good against dross only. One of the least mobile players I've ever seen. He wasn't helped today by the fact the bloke who was supposed to be playing off him kept treading on his toes but even so he looked like the easiest forward in the league to defend against. Would have rather'd Jay Bothroyd up there.
No sign of the mythical "good shift" that he puts in either. You could draw a circle the size of a ten pence piece around the ground he covered in the first half. Jenkinson, Ramsey and Wally all put decent balls in the middle and where was our gazelle of a CF......ten yards behind holding his head in his hands.

At least Lee Chapman went on to bag goals a plenty at Leeds. This fella is turning into the French Ray Hankin

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Henry Norris 1913 wrote:what is your obsession with Giroud about Steveo? tell me where all these Giroud fans were because they weren't on here :|
My 'obsession' dear boy comes from the fact that when I see shit in front of me, I call it as I see it.....and this fella is as poor an Arsenal centre forward as I've seen in fucking ages. I could ask why others are obsessed with Diaby or Ramsey because their names are all I seem to read about whenever we've lost a game

Look back through the thread, you'll find enough examples of his defenders on here and you'll also find some comments from those of us who refused to get carried away when he knocked over second raters, preferring to give judgement when the fella actually played in a few big games

The guy is fucking shit.....or do you disagree ?

begeegs

Post by begeegs »

I am jumping into SteveO's camp now. I gave him time, but I am sick of him losing the ball over and over and trying these outrageous shots where I would win the lottery a few times before he ever scored from one. He is decent in the air and that is about it. Babatunde used to say that he was a French Heskey and I am starting to see what he meant.

He would probably fare better with another striker like Walcott or Poldi up with him, but Wenger will never change the formation. With this formation, he isn't good enough.

N1Goon

Post by N1Goon »

begeegs wrote:I am jumping into SteveO's camp now. I gave him time, but I am sick of him losing the ball over and over and trying these outrageous shots where I would win the lottery a few times before he ever scored from one. He is decent in the air and that is about it. Babatunde used to say that he was a French Heskey and I am starting to see what he meant.

He would probably fare better with another striker like Walcott or Poldi up with him, but Wenger will never change the formation, but with this formation, he isn't good enough.

Find it absolutely baffling that it took you (and others) this long. He has next to none of the attributes that you need to be a professional footballer.

LDB
Location: Having a cup of tea and waiting for all this to blow over

Post by LDB »

begeegs wrote: He would probably fare better with another striker like Walcott or Poldi up with him, but Wenger will never change the formation. With this formation, he isn't good enough.
He had walcott up with him today and it was a fucking calamity.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

LDB wrote:
begeegs wrote: He would probably fare better with another striker like Walcott or Poldi up with him, but Wenger will never change the formation. With this formation, he isn't good enough.
The two of them were equally awful. The one thing Walcott has though is the pace to worry people. Giroud's pace should only be worrying to his own team

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

N1Goon wrote:
begeegs wrote:I am jumping into SteveO's camp now. I gave him time, but I am sick of him losing the ball over and over and trying these outrageous shots where I would win the lottery a few times before he ever scored from one. He is decent in the air and that is about it. Babatunde used to say that he was a French Heskey and I am starting to see what he meant.

He would probably fare better with another striker like Walcott or Poldi up with him, but Wenger will never change the formation, but with this formation, he isn't good enough.

Find it absolutely baffling that it took you (and others) this long. He has next to none of the attributes that you need to be a professional footballer.

:wink:

N1Goon

Post by N1Goon »

Unless I was waking up in the middle of the night and subconsciously posting on Arsenal blogging sites i'm afraid I am not Babatunde.

N1Goon

Post by N1Goon »

Unless I was waking up in the middle of the night and subconsciously posting on Arsenal blogging sites i'm afraid I am not Babatunde.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

N1Goon wrote:Unless I was waking up in the middle of the night and subconsciously posting on Arsenal blogging sites i'm afraid I am not Babatunde.

You are repeating yourself the signs are there :wink: :lol:

begeegs

Post by begeegs »

N1Goon wrote:

Because you have to give people some time to adapt whether it be in a new league and a new formation where he is the focal point of it.

I don't think that he is shit, but for our formation, he isn't good enough for it and I also include it as a backup striker. He isn't good enough for that either. If we go with two strikers up top, it would help his game loads, but his hold up play is poor as well as his passing and decision making. I count that about 3 or 4 games on the trot where he tried these ridiculous shots that will never come off as well as missing sitters. Granted, we created nothing today, but he should have at least tested Lloris when put clean through. Poldi would have.

We need a mobile striker who has presence and playmaking ability. Wenger selling him is probably the most diabolical decision that he has ever done. I can't think of another instance in which a manager has been that idiotic.

begeegs

Post by begeegs »

LDB wrote:
True, but only because Walcott had vacated where he was supposed to be playing which may cause confusion (granted, that seems like Wenger's tactics these days). Like I said, his game would improve if he was playing with someone up top in a formation like 4-4-2 or 3-5-2.