Olivier Giroud - Another Alan Smith or "Le Chapman"?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
markyp

Re: Olivier Giroud and Alan Smith

Post by markyp »

was watching Benteke the other day and how well he holds the ball up,something sadly that giroud doesnt do,for someone of his size that must be a standard requirement,giroud needs to go :cry:

Wengerball

Post by Wengerball »

Having spent a day reflecting on his performance on Wednesday I am still coming to the same conclusion- he was ineffective. He scored a tap in and did nothing else of note apart from waste the chance of a break by volleying the ball into the stand from 45 yards (and its not the first time hes done that either). I dont understand how he can be flavour of the month and Podolski doesnt get a shot up front.

Baffling stuff :oops:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

SteveO 35 wrote:I know it won't go down well with the 'disgusted of Tunbridge Wells' brigade but I was feeling in a little sing song mood this afternoon, so put on your earphones and have a little sing-along

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfTrthOpKCA

Giroud, you’re really bad.
Take a through ball, past that defender.
Remember, when he gives you a head start
Then you can start, to finish better.

Giroud, now I’m afraid
You were made to, make us much better
The minute you let it bounce off your shin,
Then we all think, Chapman was better

And anytime you feel like playin’, Giroud refrain,
Don’t carry that hod, upon your shoulders.
For well you know you looked a fool, at Liver-pool
By making Chamakh, look that much bolder

Giroud, don’t take us down.
You have found Per, can finish better
Remember we loaned out our Ju-Young Park,
But you’re shit start, makes him look better.

We’ve left you out then put you in, Giroud, begin,
You wait for the League Cup to perform in.
And don't you know that in League Two, Giroud, you'll do,
The movement you show’s of one much older

Giroud, don't take it bad.
Cos we sold Song to pay you better.
Remember when we are fifteen months in,
Then you'll begin “to adapt”
Better better better better better better, oh.

Na na na na na ,na na na, Giroud

N1Goon

Post by N1Goon »

AKB's wanking off over his tap-in when we probably could have stuffed Bayern with a better CF who could, you know, hold the ball up and take advantage of our rapid wingers.

I saw an image today on an AKB forum comparing Giroud to Drogba

:lol: :lol: :lol:

highburyJD

Post by highburyJD »

N1Goon wrote:AKB's wanking off over his tap-in
Babs, it was his amazing workrate that most impressed all those I talked to in Munich
N1Goon wrote:when we probably could have stuffed Bayern with a better CF
seriously? STUFFED BAYERN?!? have you seen their record? They have hardly conceded a shot this season FFS
now the expectation is for us to "stuff" them?
N1Goon wrote:I saw an image today on an AKB forum comparing Giroud to Drogba
I saw that statistical comparison too - Giroud is scoring just as many goals as Drogs did in his first season
he's setting up a lot more

N1Goon

Post by N1Goon »

highburyJD wrote:
N1Goon wrote:AKB's wanking off over his tap-in
Babs, it was his amazing workrate that most impressed all those I talked to in Munich
N1Goon wrote:when we probably could have stuffed Bayern with a better CF
seriously? STUFFED BAYERN?!? have you seen their record? They have hardly conceded a shot this season FFS
now the expectation is for us to "stuff" them?
N1Goon wrote:I saw an image today on an AKB forum comparing Giroud to Drogba
I saw that statistical comparison too - Giroud is scoring just as many goals as Drogs did in his first season
he's setting up a lot more

I honestly don't know how that's possible. He racks up these fantastic statistics but I just don't see the impact in real-time when i'm watching the match.

highburyJD

Post by highburyJD »

Drogs was pretty poor first season, the stats aren't that amazing...

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

N1Goon wrote:AKB's wanking off over his tap-in when we probably could have stuffed Bayern with a better CF who could, you know, hold the ball up and take advantage of our rapid wingers.

Now come on.....we all know all it takes is an adaption period and old "50 pence head" will be transformed from Le Chapman to the modern day beast and Champions League winner that is Le Drog. I mean he's only 26 and already he's perfected the art of blazing it into row Z off his left peg, being off balance whenever the ball comes to him, flicking it on to nobody in particular , looking skyways, having the ability to look as if he's running backwards, and having the composed finishing technique of Robbie Savage.

Just one more year I tell ya and the bloke will be as good as Aliadiere, Park, Vela and Chamakh once they'd adapted

Wengerball

Post by Wengerball »

SteveO 35 wrote:
N1Goon wrote:AKB's wanking off over his tap-in when we probably could have stuffed Bayern with a better CF who could, you know, hold the ball up and take advantage of our rapid wingers.

Now come on.....we all know all it takes is an adaption period and old "50 pence head" will be transformed from Le Chapman to the modern day beast and Champions League winner that is Le Drog. I mean he's only 26 and already he's perfected the art of blazing it into row Z off his left peg, being off balance whenever the ball comes to him, flicking it on to nobody in particular , looking skyways, having the ability to look as if he's running backwards, and having the composed finishing technique of Robbie Savage.

Just one more year I tell ya and the bloke will be as good as Aliadiere, Park, Vela and Chamakh once they'd adapted
I take it you still havent warmed to him since your holiday from the forum :lol: :lol:

highburyJD

Post by highburyJD »

damn, when people quote steveO I can still see it...
is there a double block option?

I doubt Giroud will reach the ledge levels of Drogs but in terms of his first season I think he's actually doing better
Drogba struggled horribly, looked like he'd never recover his Marseille UEFA cup form
was a poor mans TonyCascarino

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

We're already in the business of selling our best players so we might as well try and keep hold of our best looking ones. :oops: :oops:

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

highburyJD wrote:Drogs was pretty poor first season, the stats aren't that amazing...
Drogba bagged 16 goals 1st season with the headhunter scum - not too bad, Dennis scored 10-11 in his first season with us IIRC.

I don't think the stats can mask that Giroud isn't good enough for the Arsenal however, nowhere near mobile enough.

Poor purchase so far.

kite

Post by kite »

officepest wrote:
highburyJD wrote:Drogs was pretty poor first season, the stats aren't that amazing...
Drogba bagged 16 goals 1st season with the headhunter scum - not too bad, Dennis scored 10-11 in his first season with us IIRC.

I don't think the stats can mask that Giroud isn't good enough for the Arsenal however, nowhere near mobile enough.

Poor purchase so far.
Maybe it's just looking at the wrong stats. Giroud has played 40 games for Arsenal (all competitions) and scored in 11 of them - measn he scored in 27.5% of his games. That's about the same as Torres has (28.5%).
If we look at the league only it's even worse (6 out of 27 - 22%).. Poldi is on 32% as a winger and also new in the PL, Benteke has 38, Ba 40 and both Suarez and van Persie score in more than 50% of their league games.
I know some people on here don't like stats but a striker has to score some goals and it's quite obvious he doesn't do that in enough games..

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

highburyJD wrote:damn, when people quote steveO I can still see it...
is there a double block option?

I doubt Giroud will reach the ledge levels of Drogs but in terms of his first season I think he's actually doing better
Drogba struggled horribly, looked like he'd never recover his Marseille UEFA cup form
was a poor mans TonyCascarino
Hopefully someone will quote this too diddums.....pay no attention to nasty SteveO.

As someone with half a brain has just done, look beyond the bare statistics which I accept is probably difficult for someone who spends most of their time playing fantasy league manager.

Giroud has been shite. Nowhere near good enough. Watch what is in front of your eyes next time he tries to turn and shoot or has a free header.......not some contrived statistic produced by Opta.

begeegs

Post by begeegs »

I was involved in an argument with someone who said the same when I was saying how slow he was. The guy even had the gall to compare him to Ruud Van Nistelrooy. Good Lord!

He was using stats to say that his link-up was great. To be honest, he doesn't turn up against the big teams and has gone many games without having an impact. And his ridiculous shots that wouldn't score even in his own dreams just consign him to the dustbin.

I wanted him to do well and gave him a chance, but he just isn't good enough in our formation. I would even go further and say he flat out isn't good enough for Arsenal, even on the bench.

If Poldi had the opportunities that Giroud had up front, I think that we would be better off. That is something which boggles the mind.