Musicians/Bands that u know,then discover

It's all a load of Cannonballs in here! This is the virtual Arsenal pub where you can chat about anything except football. Be warned though, like any pub, the content may not always be suitable for everyone.
Rugby Gooner

Musicians/Bands that u know,then discover

Post by Rugby Gooner »

What I mean is,Musicians or Bands that have always been on your "radar" that you "suddenly discover."
I will give you an example.
Wednesday,I went for a wander during my lunch hour,and ended up in our local second hand record/cd shop for a browse.Came across a double cd,"Big Guns,the best of Rory Gallagher."
How fucking good was he!!!
I had heard of him,(and Taste),but never got around to buying anything by him.
£3.99p very well spent!!!
Anyone stumbled across any other gems this way?

afcforever

Re: Musicians/Bands that u know,then discover

Post by afcforever »

My sons friend, just brought an album out, I think they are very good. Cloud boat, worth checking on you tube.
Last edited by afcforever on Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

In my teens 7 early 20's most of friends were really in R. Gallagher but I just couldn't get into him, I borrowed some of his albums to see if it was one of those things where you are not in the right mood/space whatever at the time of listening to someone, he was obviously technically excellent - I could/can appreciate that, but for me there was no semblance of melody in his songs....at least that's how it seemed to me..I even went to see him live (twice) and the crowd /s went apeshyte, but again it just left me cold :? glad you like him though and got a bargain - it's always nice when that happens.....

I remember when I first heard Whitesnake - thought what a poncey band (singer etc) - mind you the fact that he's replaced Ian Gillan in Purple was a crime as far as I was concerned...but about 6 months later I was shyte faced at a party and someone put their album 'Lovehunter' on and I REALLY enjoyed it...and ended up buying that and sunbsequent albums - well up until 1986 - which was what I call a Hair lacquer & Pose album - typical AOR crap....but the original two guitarists Mickey Moody & Bernie Marsden were well good..real Bluesy etc...

afcforever

Post by afcforever »

[quote="OneBardGooner"]In my teens 7 early 20's most of friends were really in R. Gallagher but I just couldn't get into him, I borrowed some of his albums to see if it was one of those things where you are not in the right mood/space whatever at the time of listening to someone, he was obviously technically excellent - I could/can appreciate that, but for me there was no semblance of melody in his songs....at least that's how it seemed to me..I even went to see him live (twice) and the crowd /s went apeshyte, but again it just left me cold :? glad you like him though and got a bargain - it's always nice when that happens.....

I remember when I first heard Cliff Richard - I thought forever in his SHADOW I will be :D

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

TRICKY.

Thought he was weird when he first appeared, could not figure out why some bloke in a skirt would cover Public Enemy!

Listened again about seven years ago and realised he was a near genius.

Never Outgunned

Post by Never Outgunned »

The Sweet

Always heard of them but had never actually listened until heard Love Is Like Oxygen on TOTP 1978

Especially these classics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjfZG9UzK7E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D3_U_Gx2pc

Swifty

Post by Swifty »

In the early 80s a mate of mine gave me a mix tape for my birthday from some band called U2 that i'd never heard of - i liked it.

Also, there was a band of local kids from a neighbouring suburb that won a local band comp I saw and they were called Innocent Criminals then they changed their name to Silverchair.

storrmin571

Post by storrmin571 »

Thin Lizzy, heard their greatest hits liked a few but never really got into them until a few weeks back. Now its only them and Springsteen Im listening to. :barscarf:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Tim Buckley, father of Jeff Buckley. Was a troubador singer but something changed in the '70's and he actually wrote some amazing songs. Amazing voice too. The album Honeyman, a live recorded album, is absolutely awesome. Buzzin' Flyin' is for me, the most complete song ever.

More recently I found Harry Nilsson, another exceptional talent that shone brightly, then got drunk for a few years. Carried on making great songs, then died when he was beginning to produce great music again.