To Users of the Forum...

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
VoiceOfReason

Re: To Users of the Forum...

Post by VoiceOfReason »

Does this apply to players of other teams, or is it purely Arsene Wenger-specific?

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

Just to clarify this has nothing to do with Mike (the owner of the Gooner) the word *word censored* has been blanked out for a reason and whether you agree with it or not that's how it goes on here. I have to admit I was the one who brought it up that the word was being used in different ways to get round the blanking out and it's because I don't want Mike to feel the forum needs to be shut down again as as I've said before it will not re-open this time.

It's been a shit frustrating summer and I'm as anti Arsene as anyone on here but let's stop the abuse, for the sake of the forum if not for anything else

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

I can also confirm that I banned one of our German forum members this morning for cleverly circumventing the rules with his inventive spelling of a banned word. :evil:

I also believe in a name and shame approach. So here you are... you should be ashamed of yourself, Stefan! :(

Sorry :oops: :lol: rubbish, old joke that one.

In all seriousness though, the forum admin have put in censors because they don't want certain offensive words on here - which is fair enough.

Now, if you simply wrote the offending word in your posts there wouldn't be a problem, as it would be automatically censored, but by going to the time and trouble of formatting the word to avoid detection, you're going out of your way to get round the forum rules, and I guess that's where the problem is.

Obviously some use of the c word, and other offensive words, are clearly meant in jest or even affection :shock: , such as the **** thread (thanks Number 5 :D ), but sadly there are a few (a lot) on here who use colourful language to convey their hatred or contempt for someone, and it is that behaviour that has surely led to censorship in the first place?

I don't think it's really too much to ask to tone the language down or, if you can't, just don't edit/re-format your posts to avoid censorship. There's not that many banned words.

And here's one for free - instead of the c word, why not try nincompoop!?! a wonderful word, I'm sure you all agree. :proudtosay:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

How about scallywag or hes a lovable rogue their quite nice words.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

rascal?

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

Could somebody explain to me why the C word (a word often used on the BBC) is 'offensive' in and of itself when references to other genetalia are not. It is, after all, just a word and context should be the deciding factor.
The poster most responsible for directing personal abuse at other posters was rightly banned and, while there is plenty of robust debate, there is very little spitefulness thesedays.

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

'Berk' works for me, rhyming slang an' all.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

GranadaJoe wrote:Could somebody explain to me why the C word (a word often used on the BBC) is 'offensive' in and of itself when references to other genetalia are not. It is, after all, just a word and context should be the deciding factor.
The poster most responsible for directing personal abuse at other posters was rightly banned and, while there is plenty of robust debate, there is very little spitefulness thesedays.
C word often used on the BBC? :shock: is it? :?

Joe, you do know the c word isn't 'chef', don't you? :? :lol:

Post by 1989 »

It's a bad habit but I'll try my best.

afcforever

Post by afcforever »

g88ner wrote:I can also confirm that I banned one of our German forum members this morning for cleverly circumventing the rules with his inventive spelling of a banned word. :evil:

I also believe in a name and shame approach. So here you are... you should be ashamed of yourself, Stefan! :(

In all seriousness though, the forum admin have put in censors because they don't want certain offensive words on here - which is fair enough.

Now, if you simply wrote the offending word in your posts there wouldn't be a problem, as it would be automatically censored, but by going to the time and trouble of formatting the word to avoid detection, you're going out of your way to get round the forum rules, and I guess that's where the problem is.

Obviously some use of the c word, and other offensive words, are clearly meant in jest or even affection :shock: , such as the **** thread (thanks Number 5 :D ), but sadly there are a few (a lot) on here who use colourful language to convey their hatred or contempt for someone, and it is that behaviour that has surely led to censorship in the first place?

I don't think it's really too much to ask to tone the language down or, if you can't, just don't edit/re-format your posts to avoid censorship. There's not that many banned words.

And here's one for free - instead of the c word, why not try nincompoop!?! a wonderful word, I'm sure you all agree. :proudtosay:
There's quiet a few Germans who are Kuntz :lol:
Last edited by afcforever on Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike1
Site Admin

Post by Mike1 »

I wondered whether this subject would come up again.

I'm not going to go over old ground but The Gooner, the Online Gooner and the forum are intended for ALL fans of Arsenal and some take offence more easily than others. All we tried to do was draw some lines in the sand so that more people could enjoy the forum because if some people's behaviour was putting people off using the forum or the website or reading the fanzine, then there wasn't much point in us continuing.

If people want to think I'm an AKB that's fine by me. I'm not and people who know me know that, but I've long since realised that people will draw their own conclusions based on whatever evidence they think they have and they won't be swayed from it just because I tell them they're wrong.

There are some very basic rules we ask users to adhere to. If people don't want to do that, they are quite welcome to find another forum to use (there are plenty of others around) or set up their own.

Thanks as always to the mods for maintaining some sort of order. They are only applying the rules so don't give them a hard time because without them the forum would cease to exist.

Mike

afcforever

Post by afcforever »

Mike1 wrote:I wondered whether this subject would come up again.

I'm not going to go over old ground but The Gooner, the Online Gooner and the forum are intended for ALL fans of Arsenal and some take offence more easily than others. All we tried to do was draw some lines in the sand so that more people could enjoy the forum because if some people's behaviour was putting people off using the forum or the website or reading the fanzine, then there wasn't much point in us continuing.

If people want to think I'm an AKB that's fine by me. I'm not and people who know me know that, but I've long since realised that people will draw their own conclusions based on whatever evidence they think they have and they won't be swayed from it just because I tell them they're wrong.

There are some very basic rules we ask users to adhere to. If people don't want to do that, they are quite welcome to find another forum to use (there are plenty of others around) or set up their own.

Thanks as always to the mods for maintaining some sort of order. They are only applying the rules so don't give them a hard time because without them the forum would cease to exist.

Mike
Mike, you should become an AKB, there not so moody and grumpy :)

donaldo

Post by donaldo »

C word used by BBC

Very funny :lol: :lol:

Think about it

augie

Post by augie »

GranadaJoe wrote:Could somebody explain to me why the C word (a word often used on the BBC) is 'offensive' in and of itself when references to other genetalia are not. It is, after all, just a word and context should be the deciding factor.

I don't know if they use the word on bbc or not but I have to say that the moral outrage regarding this word does baffle me too :? Why is it classed as more offensive that other cuss words ? Obviously I don't want all the other words banned too (I wouldn't last a day here before being banned if that happened :roll: ) but seriously I just don't get the indignation here

arseofacrow

Post by arseofacrow »

g88ner wrote:I can also confirm that I banned one of our German forum members this morning for cleverly circumventing the rules with his inventive spelling of a banned word. :evil:

:censored: scene from "In Bruges" :lol: :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB7BWvD5B5Y

Would love to see this scene with the word nincompoop.

:D :wink: