New Dawn for the Republic?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
IrishJB

New Dawn for the Republic?

Post by IrishJB »

For us Irish it could herald a new era, maybe the best since adopted Irishman 'wor Jackie Charlton' time!

Certainly is mouth watering - the expectancy and the combination of South and North making a unity potentially good for the Island (Ireland's North & South) as a whole ...

I'm Irish like millions of others, as patriotic as an irishman born in the land itself. Though I was born over here, but with my Father born in Ireland, numerous Irish relatives still there, over here, and some in the US and Canada. My Mother having an Irish born Mother too and numerous holidays over there tasting the 'pure nectar', the sweet Guinness of course. So, I don't need to claim my Irishness, I feel it!

So when Keane not only walked out on his Country at a time when we needed him (World cup 2002), but slated everyone's allegiences to Ireland (like myself, millions of others and McCarthy who weren't born there), it was even easier to take a more enhanced dislike to him, especially as he played for the Mancs [though we all know as a footballer he had qualities, spiteful tendancies aside. Even our own Paddy lol 'Viera' rated his abilities on the field).

The big question for me is, and i like to forgive and forget if it can be done. Will he bring us all together with the spoken word - a simple "sorry"? Has Keane got the balls to do this?

Long live the legend himself BTW - our own Liam Brady!

GranadaJoe

Re: New Dawn for the Republic?

Post by GranadaJoe »

Like Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland (and not that different to England), you could bring in Jesus and the Wizard of Oz, but you just don't have enough (any?) good players and results will be average and the public will turn against them. Then Keane will punch the President or something similar and you'll be back where you started.
Good luck though.

IrishJB

Post by IrishJB »

GranadaJoe wrote:Like Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland (and not that different to England), you could bring in Jesus and the Wizard of Oz, but you just don't have enough (any?) good players and results will be average and the public will turn against them. Then Keane will punch the President or something similar and you'll be back where you started.
Good luck though.
Difference is re Rep Ireland, Scotland, Wales (nb N ireland have it a lot different/harder re players available), compared to England is England are expected to either get into semis of UEFA Champs or World Cup, or try and win it!

We (Irish, Scots, Wales) can party if we get there - and enjoy it with no pressure.

But hey - may God bless you

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Keane is an ignorant fuckbag. He'll never apologise. :roll:

I'd also give the O'Neill/Keane management team about 2 or 3 training sessions or team meetings before it goes into meltdown. :|

augie

Post by augie »

O'neill is a wa*ker that didnt want the job but took it cos no decent club in england wanted the fcuker as manager :roll:

Keane is a c*ntbag of the highest degree - he should have been assinated for his behaviour in saipan and yet he is still treated (by some) as some sort of god :roll: :evil: :banghead: Wonder how the dickhead feels now, given that his master (ferguscum), who continually persuaded both him and giggs to skip international games, has now stuck the boot into him via his book :roll:

Personally I think that it is all a set up anyway and keane will take over before long when o'neill fcuks back to norwich - it's a win win for the fai who end up getting their man without the outcry for appointing him as manager in the first place. :roll:

It's sad that the best footballers we have at our disposal are small technical players like hoolahan and they will have no place in o'neill's hoofball tactics :roll:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Did you know that both international managers on the island of Ireland are M.o. Neill ? Augie may have a point on the reasoning behind Keane's appointment . I always see O Neill as a club manager and would imagine he will go to the first half decent offer that comes his way. This will allow John Delaney to say "we already have a manager in the set up so it's a natural transition "

REB

Post by REB »

roy keane was right.

delighted to see him back 8)

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

augie wrote:O'neill is a wa*ker that didnt want the job but took it cos no decent club in england wanted the fcuker as manager :roll:

Keane is a c*ntbag of the highest degree - he should have been assinated for his behaviour in saipan and yet he is still treated (by some) as some sort of god :roll: :evil: :banghead: Wonder how the dickhead feels now, given that his master (ferguscum), who continually persuaded both him and giggs to skip international games, has now stuck the boot into him via his book :roll:

Personally I think that it is all a set up anyway and keane will take over before long when o'neill fcuks back to norwich - it's a win win for the fai who end up getting their man without the outcry for appointing him as manager in the first place. :roll:

It's sad that the best footballers we have at our disposal are small technical players like hoolahan and they will have no place in o'neill's hoofball tactics :roll:

No matter wht the topic or thread u are a miserable fucker on them all :lol:

Rosie_titters

Post by Rosie_titters »

ha-ha living in cuckoo land, O'Neill is a fruit loop, who makes Di-Canio look normal, and Keane although a good footballer, he's track record at club level with Sunderland and Ipswich is shite, also the bloke walked out on his country doing a world cup, so he could walk his dogs

as other's have said, it doesn't matter who you have in charge, O'Shea, Dunne, Duff, Keane, Doyle, etc, etc you are not going to be become world beaters.

I Hate Hleb

Post by I Hate Hleb »

What will happen to Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK? Will we be condemned to eternal darkness? :shock: :cry: :lol: :lol: :roll:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Keane blew the massive headstart he had in management and on top of that is notoriously a massive prick. O'Neill could have taken this job at any point in the last decade and a half and he's only taking it now because he can't get any decent jobs.

Ireland will qualify for the next Euros anyway because 24 teams qualify and Ireland are actually very consistent, certainly compared to the other Home Nations who occasionally have a stab at qualification but equally often finish with only a handful of points.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Still, better than this fucking dinosaur getting the contract extension that the senile old fools at the FAW were inevitably going to offer him :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24861522

littlefire

Post by littlefire »

One word is key to any potential (or relative) success for us in international football:

Diaspora

(the dispersion or spread of any people from their original homeland)

:twisted:

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

northbank123 wrote:Still, better than this fucking dinosaur getting the contract extension that the senile old fools at the FAW were inevitably going to offer him :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24861522
Agree with you but think it says more about the International game's standing in relation to the powerful club game than it says about Wales or any other "home" nation. If you take the four nations that make up Great Britain and throw in the Republic of Ireland only Northern Ireland's manager Michael o Neill has not been sacked by a club..(probably because he only managed in the lower Scottish leagues and in Ireland)..The real top managers are not interested in getting into International football, certainly not in this part of the world. Of the four managers (excluding Michael o Neill) that have faced the sack only Hodgson has managed at a perceived top club in England , and he made a right bollix of that. I know he had some success abroad a long time ago. The top managers do not want the International jobs and no matter what spin is put on it the Associations are choosing from a B list of managers.

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

littlefire wrote:One word is key to any potential (or relative) success for us in international football:

Diaspora

(the dispersion or spread of any people from their original homeland)

Is that the good or bad key?
Surely it gives Ireland managers the chance to look all over the world for players with an Irish grandma (and we know how they breed)

:twisted: