NEWCASTLE GAME THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
cameron326

Re: NEWCASTLE GAME THREAD

Post by cameron326 »

Rosicky is criminally underrated really. Looking at that guardian list of the top 100 players with likes of Cabaye, Kagawa, Ramsey, he's easily as good as any of them.

cameron326

Post by cameron326 »

Rosicky is criminally underrated really. Looking at that guardian list of the top 100 players with likes of Cabaye, Kagawa, Ramsey, he's easily as good as any of them.

milesgooner

Post by milesgooner »

You can't have it both ways chaps.
Either Wenger is the idiot that's a tactical numpty, or he's the genius that purchased BFG, and kept him when most were saying he was a joke.
I would suggest somewhere in the middle is probably a safe bet.
...as for the substitutions, how do you know there weren't underlying reasons for the changes?
Whose to say Gibbs wasn't in the fabled 'red zone'?
3 points against one of the form teams in the league is all the matters.

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

milesgooner wrote:You can't have it both ways chaps.
Either Wenger is the idiot that's a tactical numpty
, or he's the genius that purchased BFG, and kept him when most were saying he was a joke.
I would suggest somewhere in the middle is probably a safe bet.
...as for the substitutions, how do you know there weren't underlying reasons for the changes?
Whose to say Gibbs wasn't in the fabled 'red zone'?
3 points against one of the form teams in the league is all the matters.
I don't think the two points are mutually exclusive. The ability to spot a good player isn't linked to tactical acumen.
Last edited by officepest on Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

markyp

Post by markyp »

MrT wrote:Absolutely insane subs from the senile one, but we won and I guess that's all that matters. Happy we put those geordie wankers in their place.
agree with this.when wally went of we had no outlet at all,worse of all bringing on Jenko when you are hanging on is committing suicide,just plain weird,i really thought jenko would gift them a goal,oh well a well earned 3 points for sure

milesgooner

Post by milesgooner »

I agree however my point was more around the extremity of the views being made. Sure I think there are better tacticians around but without knowing the full facts it difficult to launch in to him about the changes.

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee wrote:And by the way, Rosicky has the most heart of anyone on this team nowadays. He's not scared to throw in tough challenges and motivate the rest of the midfield who seem to be pussies at times.
Agree 100%, he was excellent, cant understand why he hasn't been given a new contract. Overall we won in spite of a manager who makes decisions that make little or no sense, still though top of the league for new year :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

Cockerill's chin
Location: Found the transfer fund... in Bendtner/Diaby/Denilson's pockets

Post by Cockerill's chin »

That's nonsense Miles. We have to sit on the Arsenal bench to listen to the full reasoning before we can pass judgement? Are you Trevor Brooking??

milesgooner

Post by milesgooner »

[quote="Cockerill's chin"]That's nonsense Miles. We have to sit on the Arsenal bench to listen to the full reasoning before we can pass judgement? Are you Trevor Brooking??[/quote]

Nope, just saying calling him a tactical numpty is over the top when you don't know the full facts. If you look back you will see the views are so binary on this thread. Wenger is a clueless twat etc. There is no balance.

Cockerill's chin
Location: Found the transfer fund... in Bendtner/Diaby/Denilson's pockets

Post by Cockerill's chin »

I agree people go to extremes but the substitutions added more pressure to our exceptional back 4 + Flamini. Fortunately, they were outstanding today, as was TR7.

You've got to call a spade a spade though. The choice of subs did us no favours in those last 12 minutes and nearly gave countless gooners a coronary. Great result, however, which should restore some confidence :barscarf:

armchair

Post by armchair »

Can only assume Gibbs was injured so as Monreal was unavailable Flamini went to left back and Arteta came on as DM?
Bendtner coming on for Giroud was a straight swap. But the Jenks for theo sub was wierd imo.

I accept Webger was trying to shut up shop but all he succeded in doing was taking all the pace out of our game, handing them all he initiative, putting us completely on the back foot and frankly Im surprised we won that in the end.

Yet again we had to endure the embarrassment of the oppo fans laughing like fuck at our strikers. :oops:

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Thought Wilshere was excellent today as was rosicky, cazorla wasn't at his best and his passing was pretty shit, nor was arteta for his time on the pitch, flam was so so.

Walcott made some great runs but giroud in particular didn't pass to him when he was unmarked and would have gone on to have a go at goal.

Thought the tackle on giroud though was off the deck and the player was lucky not to get a red let alone no foul given, negligent referring in the extreme.

How the fuck tiptoe tiote stayed on the park is beyond me, probably made 15 fouls and only 7 or so given :roll:

Then to book giroud for tripping over him was some of the worst referring I've seen :?

Anyhow good win against the inform team in the league, thought first 20 mins we were excellent, we just need to get that early goal, new striker wenger please :rubchin:

And whoever said we didn't shoot from range :shock:

Thought we had more shots from range than I could remember for a long time tbh.

T.S

Post by T.S »

Jesus, you're all a bunch of miserable bastards!

A hard fought, old-school 1-0 win away from home feels damn good, to me. Sure, I question some of Wenger's decisions but ultimately he and the team got the job done. Cheer the fuck up!

What's more, to all of you posters going fucking mental because Podolski didn't come on for Giroud: Podolski would be absolutely useless up front on his own. Surely you can see that? He'd be much better off in a partnership. Say what you like about Giroud's wastefulness (and he's clearly very much out of form) but he can hold the ball up well, which is important in backs against the wall circumstances.

So chill out. You're going to make yourselves ill. We probably won't win the league, so you might as well enjoy being on top of it while we all can :barscarf:

Ryanswannell

Post by Ryanswannell »

T.S wrote:Jesus, you're all a bunch of miserable bastards!

A hard fought, old-school 1-0 win away from home feels damn good, to me. Sure, I question some of Wenger's decisions but ultimately he and the team got the job done. Cheer the fuck up!

What's more, to all of you posters going fucking mental because Podolski didn't come on for Giroud: Podolski would be absolutely useless up front on his own. Surely you can see that? He'd be much better off in a partnership. Say what you like about Giroud's wastefulness (and he's clearly very much out of form) but he can hold the ball up well, which is important in backs against the wall circumstances.

So chill out. You're going to make yourselves ill. We probably won't win the league, so you might as well enjoy being on top of it while we all can :barscarf:
I agree with this completely, however I fully expect someone on here to find any tiny negative and blow it massively out of proportion, just the same as someone did when I wrote a similar post in the West Ham thread :banghead:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Ive always said it some people are only happy when they are unhappy. :lol: