WALCOTT - which position is best etc?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Chippy

Re: Walcott - which position is best etc?

Post by Chippy »

Didn't I just read that on another thread? :? :D

augie

Post by augie »

Chippy wrote:Didn't I just read that on another thread? :? :D

Figured I better post something on here in case my fan club starting having a pop at me claiming that Wally is now one of the worlds best centre forwards :wink: :lol:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

augie wrote:Today I thought that Wally worked hard for the team but I still believe that he is a million miles away from being able to play the position on a regular basis. What he did in this game was perpetual movement which was never going to suit a carthorse like dawson :lol: He did have a couple of half chances which he should have at least hit the target from but he sacrificed himself for the team today and gets a thumbs up from me for it 8)
Spurs still intend on defending too high, Chiriches is an accident waiting to happen and they were yet again overrun in midfield. These factors make Walcott a viable option at CF against Spurs and could have had an absolute field day today against them but the timing of his runs was poor in the second half. Seemed to be getting a fair amount of joy when he dropped back to RM before getting injured.

Cockerill's chin
Location: Found the transfer fund... in Bendtner/Diaby/Denilson's pockets

Post by Cockerill's chin »

Really enjoyed the game. I thought Walcott made some good runs, especially for the first goal where he took the two CBs away.

There is some piss poor reporting of his gesture

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25609127

Is just an example. I don't remember Bale's 2-1 gesture being so hyped and I don't remember him being pelted with coins. FFS we banned a fan for throwing a banana in his general vicinity. I don't know why the press are hyping up a gesture they have ignored in the past rather than focussing on the serious issue of raining missiles down on an injured player. For them to ignore the vileness and focus on the victim is very poor.

Goonuz71

Post by Goonuz71 »

Slightly off topic of Wallys best position but if they charge wally surely the defence has to argue that technically he was doing a"winston churchill" peace sign ....so how is that inciting violence againt the scum fans ? ? surely he was just showimh no hard feelings towards the morons raining coins down on him ,stewards and doctors ? ?

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Is it just me that's astounded by all this talk of the FA investigating Walcott's gesture whilst thousands of Scum fans pelting medical staff with coins and other missiles is apparently not worthy of investigation? The gesture wasn't the problem, it was the reaction from their fans.

It was always likely to annoy fans (and possibly a bit foolish although fucking hilarious) but how can they charge him for pointing out the score? Presumably they'll start investigating players kissing the badge as this may annoy opposition fans?

I can't pretend that if the shoe was on the other foot it wouldn't have made me fucking raging. But it wasn't a cheap shot, it was a perfectly fair reaction from a player that always cops a shit load of stick from those fans and was being booed off on a stretcher. I absolutely hated Sheringham but you had to take it on the chin after we gave him so much stick when he started lifting imaginary trophies towards our fans at Old Trafford when warming up in 1999/2000, smugly celebrating in front of the North Bank in 97/98 etc.

Cockerill's chin
Location: Found the transfer fund... in Bendtner/Diaby/Denilson's pockets

Post by Cockerill's chin »

The shoe has been on the other foot northbank. No fuss made by the press and no missiles.

http://europefootball.xtmagma.com/index ... block_id=1

Henry Norris 1913

Post by Henry Norris 1913 »

Cockerill's chin wrote:The shoe has been on the other foot northbank. No fuss made by the press and no missiles.

http://europefootball.xtmagma.com/index ... block_id=1
typical media bias , we're Arsenal , what do you expect? fucking gutted their heroes didn't knock us out, they desperately trying to bring up previous FA Cup defeats to the scum in the saturday papers, the daily mail did a big article on both the '82 and 91 FA Cup defeats. It's david v goliath stuff for them. :roll:

Red Gunner

Post by Red Gunner »

Goonuz71 wrote:Slightly off topic of Wallys best position but if they charge wally surely the defence has to argue that technically he was doing a"winston churchill" peace sign ....so how is that inciting violence againt the scum fans ? ? surely he was just showimh no hard feelings towards the morons raining coins down on him ,stewards and doctors ? ?
They would be asked: "what was he doing with his other hand?"

I am obviously against Walcott getting banned but it's pretty clear that he was showing "2-0" with his hands.

wibble

Post by wibble »

'What was he doing with his other hand?'

Looks like he's calling the spurs fan wankers - oh, I see how that wouldn't help the defence, maybe just stick with the 2-0 gesture then

LeftfootlegendGooner

Re:

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Red Gunner wrote:
Goonuz71 wrote:Slightly off topic of Wallys best position but if they charge wally surely the defence has to argue that technically he was doing a"winston churchill" peace sign ....so how is that inciting violence againt the scum fans ? ? surely he was just showimh no hard feelings towards the morons raining coins down on him ,stewards and doctors ? ?
They would be asked: "what was he doing with his other hand?"

I am obviously against Walcott getting banned but it's pretty clear that he was showing "2-0" with his hands.
Looks like he's doing an impression of holding a javelin in his other hand :shock: not a zero, he might just be doing a Churchill peace sign in one hand signifying it beat the tyranny of the nazis (represented by a weapon, being the javelin in the other hand), no :rubchin: :oops: :lol:

I Hate Hleb

Re:

Post by I Hate Hleb »

Red Gunner wrote:
They would be asked: "what was he doing with his other hand?"...
A tribute to the old Maxwell House coffee advert? :rubchin: :rubchin: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Theoperator

Re: Re:

Post by Theoperator »

I Hate Hleb wrote:
Red Gunner wrote:
They would be asked: "what was he doing with his other hand?"...
A tribute to the old Maxwell House coffee advert? :rubchin: :rubchin: :lol: :lol: :wink:
Its Winstons imaginary cigar surely :wink:

Im always surprised how footballers get stuffed for reacting as they do- the opposing fans give such a load of shit its no great surprise they get some back. Personally I felt even the Palace fan goading Cantona got less than he disserved, seems you can chant all you like at a player but mention/ chant race and you are out for life- double standards by a mile methinks :rubchin:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

When we decide to erect (careful) another statue after Walcott's winner in the champions league final I think we may have an outright favourite (and we can make a start by melting the coins down if Arsene hasn't already snaffled them for his transfer budget)

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Walcott fears he could be out for up to four weeks as he prepares to go for a scan on Monday on suspected strained knee ligaments. (Mail)
4:46pm - 5 Jan 14