FA Cup 5th Round Draw

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Gunner Rob

Re: FA Cup 5th Round Draw

Post by Gunner Rob »

this 5th round draw sums up why the FA Cup is now no longer important

it is ridiculous that we have to play a crucial Premier league game 3 days before the match and then a knock out Champions League game 3 days after. of course we will play a weakened side, anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded - Wenger has no choice.

Steveo has called this all season - whilst we remain in the CL, then we will never get past the 5th round anymore.
to be fair to Wenger it is something that the FA looking at - Wenger's attitude only reflects the changing modern football calendar

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

BournemouthRED wrote:
LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
BournemouthRED wrote:just seen on twitter that if liverpool bring 9000 fans, one third will pay 98quid! (at cat A prices)

the papers will have a field day on that one!
Why?

Its not as if they're going to be paying with their own money :roll: :lol:

:lol: true!
Further to this I would also like to advise all gooners to avoid the Liverpool area in the next few weeks, as it happens the price of the cup tickets equates to a full set of second hand alloys :shock: :wink:

I for one will avoid the area as I have heard from reliable sources that in some areas they are able to remove all four wheels and clean your windscreen while you have stopped at a pelican crossing :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

BournemouthRED wrote:
BournemouthRED wrote:just seen on twitter that if liverpool bring 9000 fans, one third will pay 98quid! (at cat A prices)

Why?

Further to this I would also like to advise all gooners to avoid the Liverpool area in the next few weeks, as it happens the price of the cup tickets equates to a full set of second hand alloys :shock: :wink:

I for one will avoid the area as I have heard from reliable sources that in some areas they are able to remove all four wheels, clean your windscreen, burn a copy of the Sun, claim compo, rob your house, and blame it all on the Police while you have stopped at a pelican crossing. :lol:
Fixed. :wink:

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
BournemouthRED wrote:

Why?

I for one will avoid the area as I have heard from reliable sources that in some areas they are able to remove all four wheels, clean your windscreen, burn a copy of the Sun, claim compo, rob your house, and blame it all on the Police while you have stopped at a pelican crossing. :lol:
Fixed. :wink:
Ah yes forgot those bits :lol:

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

BournemouthRED wrote:

9,000 with tickets and the usual 20,000 others trying to get in for free .

Herd

Post by Herd »

This board is very "scouse-ist" !

UlsterGooner

Post by UlsterGooner »

By the sounds of it Arsenal have made this a Category B game, although no mention atm whether Liverpool or Bayern will be the 8th cup game

QuartzGooner

Post by QuartzGooner »

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Gunner Rob wrote:I don't actually think it will be category A .

If it is then supporters should boycott the match
I thought that this would be the case.
would have been a massive PR own goal to announce this as category A just after announcing a huge sponsorship deal.

the spin will now be that "the club is reducing prices for the upcoming FA Cup game"
it also gives Wenger more of an excuse to put out a weakened side which is now sadly inevitable

Dan_85

Post by Dan_85 »

So it's a Cat B. The victims fans now moaning that we're not charging them £25 like Bournemouth did :coffeespit:

http://www.spiritofshankly.com/news/fan ... es-reduced

MK Gould

Post by MK Gould »

Cheeky bastards... As cup game 7, this game was effectively "free" anyway for 42000 Arsenal season ticket holders. So the club would have only benefited from category A prices from the remaining 18000 tickets. And half of these will be supporters who protested loudly the last time we played them (and are still protesting!)... And add to that the large share of the gate receipts that we have to hand over to Liverpool anyway!

Whereas from a club viewpoint the Bayern game moving to be cup game 8 means that they get the benefit from all 60000 ticket holders, and I would guess that we also hand over a much smaller proportion of the gate receipts...

This will undoubdedly be portrayed in the press as a good news story...but I just think it's yet another cynical move on the part of the club!! Especially given that most people will see Arsenal v Liverpool in the FA Cup as a more attractive (and more winnable!) fixture than Arsenal v Bayern Munich in the Champions League!

gp543

Post by gp543 »

MK Gould wrote:Cheeky bastards... As cup game 7, this game was effectively "free" anyway for 42000 Arsenal season ticket holders. So the club would have only benefited from category A prices from the remaining 18000 tickets. And half of these will be supporters who protested loudly the last time we played them (and are still protesting!)... And add to that the large share of the gate receipts that we have to hand over to Liverpool anyway!

Whereas from a club viewpoint the Bayern game moving to be cup game 8 means that they get the benefit from all 60000 ticket holders, and I would guess that we also hand over a much smaller proportion of the gate receipts...

This will undoubdedly be portrayed in the press as a good news story...but I just think it's yet another cynical move on the part of the club!! Especially given that most people will see Arsenal v Liverpool in the FA Cup as a more attractive (and more winnable!) fixture than Arsenal v Bayern Munich in the Champions League!
Sorry, it may be because I'm a younger fan that I'm asking this. I understand the historical rivalry between us and the bin-dippers, but is that really more attractive fixture to attend than one against the reigning European champions?

Happy to be shouted down, just would like to understand the logic.

Leyton Gooner
Location: Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Channel 5 Thursday night cup

Post by Leyton Gooner »

Dan_85 wrote:So it's a Cat B. The victims fans now moaning that we're not charging them £25 like Bournemouth did :coffeespit:

Should be charging these :censored: a month's worth of dole, whatever that amounts to. Quite a lot I would imagine :evil:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

gp543 wrote:
MK Gould wrote:Cheeky bastards... As cup game 7, this game was effectively "free" anyway for 42000 Arsenal season ticket holders. So the club would have only benefited from category A prices from the remaining 18000 tickets. And half of these will be supporters who protested loudly the last time we played them (and are still protesting!)... And add to that the large share of the gate receipts that we have to hand over to Liverpool anyway!

Sorry, it may be because I'm a younger fan that I'm asking this. I understand the historical rivalry between us and the bin-dippers, but is that really more attractive fixture to attend than one against the reigning European champions?

Happy to be shouted down, just would like to understand the logic.
I don't disagree with MK Gould. Watching Barcelona come and play breathtaking football in 2010 was amazing, but by now watching us chase shadows against Bayern doesn't seem like much fun to me. It certainly wasn't much fun last year as they more or less won the tie in the first 25 minutes and won't have the novelty of seeing a 'new' team this year.

Saying that I'd still expect that view to be in the minority.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Dan_85 wrote:So it's a Cat B. The victims fans now moaning that we're not charging them £25 like Bournemouth did :coffeespit:

Also complain about being charged £34-£54 for a ticket. They charge £44-52 to any visiting PL team in the FA Cup in any round. Not to mention Anfield being a dump and the London price factor which strangely is factored into just about everything except football ticket prices.