Jermaine Defoe Anybody ?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

There are apparently alot of plots being lost on here today, yours not being one of them!

tenementfunster5

Post by tenementfunster5 »

Defoe simply not good enough. He had plenty of ability as a youngster but hasn't progressed as a player. He has undoubted telent but it is seen all too infrequently. Not the player Arsenal need.
He will never get 20+ goals a season and is therefore not a replacement for TH.

Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Aaaaaaaarrrrrggggh!

Ten I completely agree with you but I was having a bad enough time with that overated **** name at the top of this thread now you remind me what he looks like too.

Can I request gooner.ed locks this thread so it disappears down the page and i don't have to see his name everytime i log in!

gus ceasar is a legend

Post by gus ceasar is a legend »

My missus thinks Ive lost it!

Every 15m mins flicking over to Sky sports news for any sign of a tranfer happening!

Then I come on hear hoping that someones brothers aunts cousins dog knows a man in the pub who went to school with Martin Hayes who says that such and such is definately signing for The Arsenal!

Ben-gooner14

Post by Ben-gooner14 »

Yep it looks like no chunky, to be honest he's shit.

Eboue Can't Defend

Post by Eboue Can't Defend »

gus ceasar is a legend wrote:Please can someone show me some evidence of Defoe's class!

Im sorry but I just dont buy it!

Seriously would moonhead Jol pay that kind of money for Bent if he had this apparent striking genius at the club anyhow!?

Look at the other clubs interested in him.....Pompey etc! Are we in that class now?
Gus, how about 54 goals in 120 games for Spurs ( that's almost 1 goal in every 2 games) and a lot of those appearences were as substitute. Seems like quite a good strike record to me!! And as for the, 'Pompey want him, are we in that class now?' comment, well, it appears with this Board, we are!!

Okay, I can see I'm in the minority on this one - although Genius does tend to stand out!! :wink: :lol:

I still reckon that if we had been signing him three years ago like we were supposed to before he went to the Spuds, there wouldn't have been this amount of dissent. At the time everyone was labelling him the new Ian Wright and most thought he would be perfect for us.

Now, the main argument against signing Defoe seems to be that 'if he isn't good enough for the Spuds, how is he good enough for us?'. That is such a poor and uninformed point that I almost feel like it is a waste of my time answering it!!

Football history is littered with examples of players - good players - who didn't fit in at a particular club for whatever reason and then went on to huge success elsewhere. In fact there are so many examples that I would need an entire thread to list them all but how about Bergkamp at Inter? Or Henry at Juventus for starters? Was anyone saying don't sign Bergkamp/Henry? I could go on, but you get the point.

Sometimes players haven't seen eye to eye with a manager; sometimes the style of team play isn't conducive or a manager prefers a different player to suit a particular formation he wants to use (as is currently happening with Jol's preference for Keane over Defoe because he feels Keane works better with Berbatov).

As for the biting incident as an example of why we shouldn't sign Defoe, well Wenger had a punch up with Pardew and offered Fergie out at Old Trafford!! Certainly unbecoming of an Arsenal manager, but should we get rid of him? Of course not.

I still contend that if we want a goal-scorer to put away even a decent percentage of all the chances we create, and at a reasonable price to boot, we would do far worse than go for Jermaine Defoe. You are all welcomed to disagree - but then again if you did, you would be IDIOTS who know NOTHING about football!! :wink: :lol: :lol:

Drone

I'm hawing a laugh.

Post by Drone »

Dude lets wait the start of the season and we will se where do we belong, but i'm very sure not to the top.

Defoe aint bad at all.

And about the conversation i'm definitely having a laugh.