Stop talking Crap About Vieira!!

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
elpelsarmy

Post by elpelsarmy »

NUFF SAID!!!

GunnerTino

Post by GunnerTino »

Totally agree with you elpel,selling PV and letting Edu go in the same
season was a complete balls up.My theory is Wenger may not have had much say in it as I think no coach would want to let two quality midfielders leave like that at the same time,just didn't make sense at the
time.Ok Cesc came to prominance with their departures,but to leave your squad exposed like that!!
I've always thought that there was a bit more to it than met the eye,mind you I like a good football consiracy theory!!!

azz91

Post by azz91 »

we shouldnt have sold vieira (although we have not been affected because cesc is amazing) but i would not have him back because of his little digs like when he says arsenal are not a big force in europe, i know we dont usually do that good in the chmpions league but why does he always say it like he has left for a force in europe when inter clearly arent, and he always gets involved in the papers he was having his say about henry bfore he left and wenger saying he may leave why cant he just not get involved thats the annoying thing about him -
he is not an arsenal player he should not go round saying things about arsenals situation with henry wenger and dein

Gunnerz4life

Post by Gunnerz4life »

Viera had an indifferent season just before we sold him. There were talks linking him with Real and in some games it seemed like he doesnt wanna be there and seemed unsetteled. I guess Wenger didnt want to take a chance with him. He was a fantastic player for us though, so dont have any hard feelings for him. But we must not forget that its his departure that gave Cesc the oppurtuanity. We have no reason to believe that if Viera was available he would play with Cesc in the centre. It might have well been Gilberto and PV like it was at that time with Cesc not getting starts.

Galasso

Post by Galasso »

Sorry to bring this one back up, jus some things came to my mind.

Arsene Wenger did admit that letting Edu and Vieira leave in 2005, as the same time, was a mistake as he didn't want Fabregas playing so many games at such a young age. I believe he has this policy beacuse these young players are not fully physically developed and excess strain at such a young age can lead to more problems down the road.

And at the time, there were reports from reporters with good sources that it was felt that 8 years in English football and at the top of International football had taken some major toll on Vieira. The feeling was that Vieira would no longer be as effective due to the rigourous demands of our football. While Italian football demands a high level of physical fitness, the demands on Viera in terms of playing minutes and the endurance and physicaltiy in games required is nowhere near what he had to give in England.

So if this is the case, then it is not right to say that because he has won 2 titles since he left us, he would have inspired similar success. In the same vein, it is not right to say that we dispensed with him at the right time.

Comparing his time in Italy and what he would have done with us is not comparing like with like. All one can say is that the guy is a top player and top players are hard to come by.

Belfast Boy

Post by Belfast Boy »

As has already been said just because PV4 won the Scudetto does not mean he had what it took to win another Prem, he was definately on the decline and is no longer the force that we knew!
He was also not sold, he went of his own free will and with no small amount of animosity as he was reportedly furious with the club for taking a neutral stance regarding Juve's offer, to the point were he even fell out with DD! AW's position was if you want to stay and play for AFC then show your commitment, if not then you're free to go........ as PHW put it "he tugged Arsene's tail once too often" - at the end of the day be under no illusions, we need the money and getting 13M for a player past his physical peak was not bad and selling legends a year or two early is probably something we're gonna have to get used to as long as we're payin back nearly 300M in loans and is also why AW's net outlay on players is only 30M making the stadium and the London Colney complex possible in the first place which in itself is instrumental in helping us attract top players!
If you do look back nobody is suggesting that we will never miss our legends, too many fond memories for that and the fact that they reached hero status with our beloved club means they are irreplacable but AW is very rarely wrong in the transfer market, either buying or selling, and he studies a player's physiology and stats rigorously!
Overmars only played 40 games in 4 seasons after he left us for Barca, who sold Petit after only one season to Chelsea for another injury ravaged spell before his retirement!
Bobby and Edu wanted longer deals than AW was prepared to give and they both ended up out for virtually the whole of the next season with their respective new clubs!
Even Taggart is ruthless in this regard, showing RVN, Stam and DB the door even tho they were legends and Horseface has been absolutely on fire (if only :wink: ) since he left OT, bein the top scorer in La Liga, and there is remarkable similarities between his early departure and TH14's bar the acrimony as Wenger started to view our capitano as a negative influence on the training pitch - Victory Through Harmony remember :D