Toure says he deserves more recognition (blames nationality)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Red Gunner

Toure says he deserves more recognition (blames nationality)

Post by Red Gunner »

Yaya Toure: Man City midfielder says he deserves more recognition

Manchester City and Ivory Coast midfielder Yaya Toure thinks he is not regarded as one of the best players in the world because he is from Africa.

Toure, 30, has 22 goals this season, helping City to win the League Cup and challenge for the Premier League title.

Samir Nasri recently said Toure would be celebrated as one of the world's best midfielders were he not African.

In an interview for Football Focus on BBC World News, he said: "I think what Samir was saying was definitely true."

The midfielder has won league titles in four countries - Ivory Coast, Greece, Spain and England - and was part of the Barcelona team that won the Champions League in 2009.

He also feels fellow countryman Didier Drogba and Cameroon's Samuel Eto'o are undervalued because they are African.

"To be honest, proper recognition has only come from the fans," said the three-time African player of the year. "I don't want to be hard and I don't want to be negative, but I want to be honest."

Toure feels the media should do more to promote African players.

"If we play well and we don't have the recognition from the media, we are not going to be where we want to be," he said.

Toure also feels African players need to do far more to stand out, drawing comparisons with Barcelona duo Andres Iniesta and Xavi, both former team-mates of his.

He says Iniesta and Xavi are often praised for their attacking skills, but rarely singled out for criticism when they fail to defend properly.

In contrast, Toure claims he is regularly picked on by the media when he makes a defensive mistake.

The Ivorian is also unhappy that Lionel Messi, widely regarded as one of the best players in the world along with Cristiano Ronaldo, is recognised around the world but players like himself are not.

He said: "If you go to any part of Africa now, people will say, 'yes, we know him [Messi]', but when you come to Europe and say 'Yaya Toure' people will say, 'who is that?' Some will say they know my name but not know my face. But they will know Messi's face."

Toure, who played in Belgium, Ukraine, Greece, France and Spain before moving to England, says he will be disappointed if he is not named player of the year by the Professional Footballers' Association.

He is one of six players on the shortlist, alongside Chelsea's Eden Hazard, Southampton's Adam Lallana and the Liverpool trio of Luis Suarez, Steven Gerrard and Daniel Sturridge.

Asked if he would be unhappy not to win the award, Toure replied: "Definitely. As a champion, as a winner, I always want to win."

Asked to reflect on the fact there has only been one African winner of the Ballon d'Or - former AC Milan and Liberia striker George Weah in 1995 - Toure cited the significant contributions made by players such as fellow Africans Eto'o and Drogba at club level.

"Those players are more than legends for me and Africa," said Toure.

Asked if he knew if players such as Eto'o and Drogba also felt under-appreciated, the former Barcelona player replied: "Definitely."

He added: "I am very proud to be African, I want to defend African people and I want to show to the world that African players can be as good as the Europeans and South Americans."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27074317

He sounds like a mixture of Zlatan and Sol :roll: :lol:

1. Media doesn't "promote" African players? Did Toure read the press before the Chelsea-Galatasaray match? The Drogba love-in was nauseating.

2. Xavi doesn't get praised for his attacking skills, he is not an attacking midfielder. He gets praised over how he controls games. Iniesta almost plays like a left-winger for Spain and in Barcelona's big games. Toure has more defensive responsibilities than both Xavi and Iniesta. Does he honestly think the media criticises his defending because he's African?

3. Messi is one of the greatest players modern football has ever seen. Messi is also the face of the FIFA video game, he has won four Ballon d'Ors and he has scored in two Champions League finals. According to SportsPro, he is the second most marketable athlete in the world. Obviously people recognise his face more than Toure's. People also recognise Messi much more than his European team-mates: Fabregas and Busquets.

4. Only one African ever winning Ballon d'Or has nothing to do with nationality. Were Eto'o and Drogba ever clearly the best players in the world? No. Many great modern non-African players haven't won Ballon d'Or. Henry, Bergkamp, Xavi, Iniesta, Pirlo, Raul...

northbank123

Re: Toure says he deserves more recognition (blames national

Post by northbank123 »

Won't exactly win him many fans but from what I can see Nasri fuelled the flames by saying the same thing. I don't think Toure really appreciated how his comments would be construed or interpreted.

He is absolute class mind.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Sounds like he's feeling a bit precious.

gp543

Post by gp543 »

Put that card back in the deck, man.

He's too good to be saying things like this. I really don't think he's as underrated as he makes himself out to be.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Aaah poor fella, he's only on a quarter of a million pounds a week so that proves he's not recognised as a great player :roll:

It must be time for a pay rise :wink:

topgoon

Post by topgoon »

Season they won the league he would have had more recognition but they were sh*te in Europe.

Dogbreadth's antics will always make him a poor choice for player of the year.

As vital as Eto'o's goals are each time he's won the champs league, there have been better players or even strikers than him Messi,Ronaldinho .

Bigger surprise was Henry never winning it at least in Europe.

markyp

Post by markyp »

don't get that,surely he is already seen as one of the worlds best,he is in my eyes,what does he want,plaudits ala messi and Ronaldo???

LDB
Location: Having a cup of tea and waiting for all this to blow over

Post by LDB »

He's missing the point a bit I think, it's not that he's african but that he's foreign full stop. Xavi and Iniesta are Spanish players playing in Spain and won the word cup with their country. If he was English playing for City then yes he'd get far more recognition, the English press would be showering him in their jizz.

He's simply not as good as Ronaldo or Messi so he's pissing up the wrong tree with that one.

Supagoon

Post by Supagoon »

LDB wrote:He's missing the point a bit I think, it's not that he's african but that he's foreign full stop. Xavi and Iniesta are Spanish players playing in Spain and won the word cup with their country. If he was English playing for City then yes he'd get far more recognition, the English press would be showering him in their jizz.

He's simply not as good as Ronaldo or Messi so he's pissing up the wrong tree with that one.
True.

I think Eto'o and Drogba got the rightful recognition they deserved.

Eto'o had a massive reputation in Europe, respected (and disrespected; scored against everyone) in Spain as well as Italy. Only over here you got glimpses in the CL games. Eto'o was in Ronaldinho's shadow a bit, but it's Ronnie, he was amazing.
Drogba was the most feared striker in England.

But you cannot compare them to Messi and CR, who average more than a goal a game and were not originally strikers.

Well Xavi and Iniesta are rightly lauded, they've won everything, and played in some of the best teams to play the game, but they've never been WPOTY either.

GranadaJoe

Post by GranadaJoe »

I think he is a bit undervalued. I think he's been a powerhouse of a player over the last couple of seasons and a very effective one (as an aside I think he's started to show the effects of carrying that big 30+ year old frame around).

However, strikers always get more adulation and English players in England will always get more press in England (I suspect that Toure gets more column inches in Ivory Coast than Mata or Sturridge etc). imo he was stupid to speak out. It doesn't help anyone.

officepest
Location: Lacking a little bit of sharpness in the final third.

Post by officepest »

He was a bit of a utility journeyman for years but he has blossomed into an absolutely fantastic player. I think he's off the mark with these comments.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

officepest wrote:He was a bit of a utility journeyman for years but he has blossomed into an absolutely fantastic player. I think he's off the mark with these comments.
Harsh as that sounds if he is wanting parity with these players it is fair. The likes of Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Ronaldo, etc - they've all been playing at a phenomenal level for nearly their entire careers. Until 24 he dossed around in second-rate leagues at generally third-rate teams. Won the CL at Barcelona but wasn't a key player there and they let him go. He's been great for City but they've won one domestic title and their CL record has been dreadful so far. Fantastic player but there's are plenty of reasons why he's not included in the same bracket.

Supagoon

Post by Supagoon »

Toure was excellent for Barca, ask barca fans how highly they think of him.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Supagoon wrote:Toure was excellent for Barca, ask barca fans how highly they think of him.

I think he is widely acknowledged as the best midfield player in his position / of his type in the world.

What he doesn't have is the hype that accompanies, Messi, Ronaldo, Bale due to the position they play and the type of goals the get.

When he was at his peak Vieira was never in the running for world or European player of the year but I can't think of any that were better than him, at the time in that position - Vieira also won a word cup and European Championship.

It always has been, always will be the forwards that are the most highly valued / get the headlines.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Perhaps if he hadn't left one of the world's elite clubs to join a bunch of fucking mercenary *word censored* who hadn't heard of Man City 10 years ago, he'd get more recognition.

Anyway, he had huge recognition for being the first 200k per week player at City.

We've got the real Yaya

:barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: