The Summer 2014 TRANSFER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
northbank123

Re: SUMMER 2014 TRANSFER THREAD

Post by northbank123 »

Augie we weren't getting brushed aside or letting them ride tackles when the goals were flying in at Anfield and Stamford Bridge, I don't recall Arteta being perfectly placed to cut the goals out but just not being physical enough.

To be honest no one player would have saved us from those hidings, although we need a DM even a quality one does not give the rest of the players carte blanche to bomb on and play without any responsibility.

Schweinsteiger is not really a fair example because he is a complete player, there are very few attributes he doesn't possess and there is so much more to his game than physicality. How many times did he pop up in the final to make the crucial interceptions of passes/crosses for a start?

If there were two otherwise evenly-matched options I would without doubt go for the one with more physical presence. I'm not saying it doesn't have any importance, just that its not a be-all-and-end-all for me. Maybe I'm just still scarred from the last physically tough DM we had who used to dive into tackles and throw his weight around until we robbed Barcelona blind for him.

Still think it's such a shame we let Diarra go. Imo one of the worst decisions Wenger has made. He was impatient and from what I hear a bit of a prick but could have done such a job for us. The whole Flamini thing set us back years, what a waste.

cameron326

Post by cameron326 »

The Liverpool and Chelsea defeats were far more about poor mentality and tactics rather than personnel. With the respective lineups we could have easily kept it to one or two goals. It was just like Germany vs Brazil - the reason that was so shocking is you so rarely see that level of kamikaze football tactical naively on the important international stage, as opposed to say, watching Arsenal for one season.

The Man City game on the other hand we were just a bit outplayed and they were lethal in front of goal - unlike the Chelsea and Liverpool games, the scoreline flattered them a bit.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Whilst we are all having a pop at the goat molesting augie, can I just add that he is also a fat bald bastard? Thank you. :D :wink:

TurnipMasher

Post by TurnipMasher »

http://www1.skysports.com/transfer-centre/

7:19
Are Arsenal edging a step closer to signing Real Madrid midfielder Sami Khedira? According to Marca, Arsenal have agreed a €25million (£19.8m) fee with Real for the Germany international and now need to settle on personal terms. Khedira has reportedly requested a salary of €7million (£5.5m) a year net at Arsenal, while Real are willing to sell after the player turned down a new deal at the Santiago Bernabeu.

http://www.marca.com/2014/07/16/futbol/ ... 89235.html

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:Whilst we are all having a pop at the goat molesting augie, can I just add that he is also a fat bald bastard? Thank you. :D :wink:
:lol: :lol:

At last, some sense on this thread :barscarf: :lol:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:Whilst we are all having a pop at the goat molesting augie, can I just add that he is also a fat bald bastard? Thank you. :D :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I had heard he'd also moved onto molesting donkeys and even tried it on with a monkey at the Zoo!

:D :wink:

topgoon

Post by topgoon »

So Madrid's unofficial mouth piece says it's on,Poldi's gatecrashing of Khedira's live interview says it's on.

I am waiting for Maureen to get itchy if Manure/Vidal deal scuppers the hunt for Pogba. Maureen brought him to Madrid and would not say no to that price of the possibility of screwing us over like he did with the scum and Will.I.am.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

The Germans are a tight bunch, the prospect of playing with his 3 amigos gives us a big advantage over the chavs in securing his signiture.

Theoperator

Post by Theoperator »

northbank123 wrote:
It seems like there are about 3 footballers in world football who you wouldn't have some significant gripe about us signing. I understand that a lot of people are getting extremely carried away and I agree that our weaknesses are still overwhelmingly unaddressed but it seems like even for you you are trying extremely hard to be negative.
See this is why we never sign anyone- Augie is in direct discussions with Lord Wenger himself :shock: :barscarf:

augie

Post by augie »

On the subject of juve, would Vidal or pogba be worthwhile targets ? Are either DMs in the truest sense of the word ? The limited viewing time I have had of them I would have classed them both as DMs but I think somebody else on here suggested that Vidal is more of a box to box player which would not be my preference. I watched pogba play the first half of a game during the World Cup and thought that he was a beast, but apparently he went AWOL in the 2nd half and that he has a tendency to do that. From what I have heard about pogba he also seems to have arrogance/attitude issues so maybe not worth looking at either

Anyway the only reason I am saying any of this is because it appears that juve are willing to sell so if they are good enough then it would be a real kick in the bollox if we could sign either ahead of manure and chavs 8)

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

augie wrote:On the subject of juve, would Vidal or pogba be worthwhile targets ? Are either DMs in the truest sense of the word ? The limited viewing time I have had of them I would have classed them both as DMs but I think somebody else on here suggested that Vidal is more of a box to box player which would not be my preference. I watched pogba play the first half of a game during the World Cup and thought that he was a beast, but apparently he went AWOL in the 2nd half and that he has a tendency to do that. From what I have heard about pogba he also seems to have arrogance/attitude issues so maybe not worth looking at either

Anyway the only reason I am saying any of this is because it appears that juve are willing to sell so if they are good enough then it would be a real kick in the bollox if we could sign either ahead of manure and chavs 8)
Vidal can do both. I have seen him a few times sit in front of his defence and other times box to box - roles which I think he swaps with Pogba. I think Vidal would be an amazing signing for us and we should go all out to get him but we won't.

I think we're going for Khedira because he is very good mates with Ozil. It is possible that in order to keep his superstar happy Wenger is trying to place his eggs in Ozil's basket.

spendsum4uckingmoney

Post by spendsum4uckingmoney »

I take it Pod is staying then.

MrT

Post by MrT »

OneBardGooner wrote:
MrT wrote:Conte has resigned as Juve manager allegedly due to transfer differences. Which probably means Vidal is off to the mancs. Fuck knows why he would want to go there.
uhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :rubchin:

Try not to laugh now but I still like to think there are some players not entirely motivated by money. Not being in Europe will probably weigh on his decision. I don't see that c**t Van Gaal working miracles next season either.

Justinsaid

Post by Justinsaid »

spendsum4uckingmoney wrote:I take it Pod is staying then.
He is staying, he does love it at Arsenal, he just wants to play a bit more and not get subbed between 60-70 mins every time he does get a start.

rigsby

Post by rigsby »

Pogba is excellent, and has all the attributed to be World Class. He's also slightly ill disciplined(so was Paddy though) and has a little way to go. He would cost over 40 million, and despite Wenger liking him, I can't see him spend that amount on him and I cannot see Juve selling him. All things I've heard as well, he seems to really like playing there.