Eduardo Da Silva about to join Arsenal

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
All_Arsenal_1886

Post by All_Arsenal_1886 »

De Silva was number 24 at Zagreb so i would think that or maybe 14 but thats just a guess

Its Up 4 Grabs Now

Post by Its Up 4 Grabs Now »

/\/\/\

I would be surprised if Wenger gave him the number 14. In the past Wenger has made a point of not giving "significant" numbers to players in similar positions to those that wore it before so as to not burden them with the pressure of being constantly compared to them. For example, Bergy's number 10 was given to a defender (Gallas) rather than say Van Persie.

Number 9 is available right? Its not like living up to the memory of the Beast or Reyes is going to be a burden!

All_Arsenal_1886

yeah thats true.

also i would like reyes back tho i dont want him to go real madrid on the cheap, a fee was agreed last year but now they are trying to get him on the cheap :x

U.F.G Anfield '89

Post by U.F.G Anfield '89 »

Its Up 4 Grabs Now wrote:/\/\/\

I would be surprised if Wenger gave him the number 14. In the past Wenger has made a point of not giving "significant" numbers to players in similar positions to those that wore it before so as to not burden them with the pressure of being constantly compared to them. For example, Bergy's number 10 was given to a defender (Gallas) rather than say Van Persie.

Number 9 is available right? Its not like living up to the memory of the Beast or Reyes is going to be a burden!
that could be a double edged sword though, i would rather have the pressure of living up to tel than the curse of the number 9 shirt.

Its Up 4 Grabs Now

You have a point about the "curse of the number 9 shirt" - who was the last "great" Arsenal number 9? Anelka? Alan Smith? John Hartson???

And Hleb is obviously struggling to live up to the number 13 once worn by the legend David Hillier!!! :lol:

I personally would have no problem with da Silva or anybody else wearing the number 14, i just dont think its something Wenger will do. Especially given that other than the fact that Henry wore it 14 is actually quite an obscure squad number to want. Prior to Henry it had no real history at Arsenal (i think!), thus its totally synonymous with Henry from now on.

I guess its not that significant really in the end, other than it might give us a clue as to whether Wenger sees him as a likely first-team starter or not.

All_Arsenal_1886

William Gallas number 10 :D

lets make Da Silva 99 :lol:

augie

Post by augie »

8) in response to the "we need a right winger but who" question i feel the answer is simple...queresma of porto. As i stated in the past he is very fast and direct and likes to shoot so would be ideal

All_Arsenal_1886

augie wrote:8) in response to the "we need a right winger but who" question i feel the answer is simple...queresma of porto. As i stated in the past he is very fast and direct and likes to shoot so would be ideal
do u have any footage of Queresma ???

Its Up 4 Grabs Now

I would love to see Quaresma at Arsenal but i would guess that since Nani and Anderson both left Portugal for the Premiership for £Big F££s (ie £15M plus) and are less proven than Quaresma then Porto would be looking for something ridiculous.

What about Wright-Phillips? I'm not sure whether i'd want him or not but at £10M (and i do think we could get him for £10M) he might not be a bad option... direct, quick, capable of scoring, can provide genuine width...

All_Arsenal_1886

i would love SWP but Chelski will never sell to a rival funny how they think were not in the running for the prem but wont sell a player because we are compettion

Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Quaresma is absolute class, would top off my summer nicely if we got him but not holding out much hope. Not even been linked with him, although thats no bad thing as we don't tend to sign those we are linked with.

SWP would be good too, if only to stop him going to the ****, but would be an asset. Bet he wouldn't be given number 8 though!

Need that winger and preferably a centre back (although can't see it unless Senderos leaves) assuming we sign Sagna.

Hi ho Da Silva's signing
Every where we go
You'll see the sun is shining
when he scores a goal

Oh it's obvious.....

tenementfunster5

Post by tenementfunster5 »

Nice article in Evening Standard today.

They too believe the fee to be about £8M

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport/art ... article.do