Danny Welbeck Signs (dont moan)

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
goonersid

Re: Danny Welbeck Signs (dont moan)

Post by goonersid »

Disgraceful comment by Wenker, which does not bode well.
I think Wenker will ruin the lad's career, I wonder did Sanogo stop sucking Wenker's cock for reassurance, and that's where he got the line about Wellbeck having to earn his place.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Those last two articles are bull IMO, I will wait for his pre match press conference before I make a judgement.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I truly thought I could not be surprised anymore by Wenker's utterly inept decisions and comments...but JEEEEEZZZUSSS H

It is just another piece in the puzzle that says Wenger needs To Go asap!.

I think Welbeck will be the player that makes the difference in us managing to finish in the top 4 instead of outside of it...Maybe even 3rd instead of 4th...

1st and 2nd spots are between man $hit and maureen's chavscum - with the us and the victims vying for 3rd and 4th...and Welbeck could make all the difference...and hopefully once he gets into his stride - We won't have to endure Giroud missing so many chances....and Sonogoals can be farmed out to a local sorting office.

mojokickin

Post by mojokickin »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:Those last two articles are bull IMO, I will wait for his pre match press conference before I make a judgement.
the first one was just a bit of fun mate. I hope the second one aint true. But knowing Wenker and the way he has been acting after we signed Welbeck, I would not put it beyond him.
Like you said I hope its a load of bull as well.

rigsby

Post by rigsby »

I think his comment has been taken slightly out of context
"If I had not been away on deadline day, Welbeck would not have signed. That's the truth,
That could mean that being away helped the deal. Maybe someone from United was there who made it clear Welbeck was available. He was going to a big Managers event, could possibly have spoken to Van Gaal. Not saying he did, but perhaps that quote isn't as damning as some people seem to think it is.

Skooner

Post by Skooner »

rigsby wrote:I think his comment has been taken slightly out of context
"If I had not been away on deadline day, Welbeck would not have signed. That's the truth,
That could mean that being away helped the deal. Maybe someone from United was there who made it clear Welbeck was available. He was going to a big Managers event, could possibly have spoken to Van Gaal. Not saying he did, but perhaps that quote isn't as damning as some people seem to think it is.
Maybe, although the fact he was apparently asked to clarify and he refused to elaborate suggests that is not the case and something happened in London which wouldn't have if he had been. Surely if that had been the case then he would have been happy to promote his role in securing the deal.

rigsby

Post by rigsby »

Not really as it could be highly confidential. Wenger likes to keep a lot private, so it doesn't shock me that he wouldn't say any more. As I said, I could be talking nonsense, but people jumping on it as a negative when it really is vague is predictable.

supergeorgegraham

Post by supergeorgegraham »

Never has a player signed that has led to such negative comments. You can include me in that as well. I was not happy with this signing but I will be very happy if im wrong. He looked good for England but you cant judge a player by one game. Think we all suffer from the nightmare that was Silvestre. Danny must be given a chance in the position he wants to play in. He is fast and more chances will surely mean more goals.
I want Sanogoal to succeed as well but he really looks like a player that needs to go out on loan for a year but we dont have the cover for that.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

rigsby wrote:I think his comment has been taken slightly out of context
sorry rigsby, but no, your reallt scraping the barrel here.

to anyone that quote comes across as a negative. wenger effectively saying wellbeck wouldnt have been signed had wenger been about and not on a jolly.

thats the only way that comes across to any sane person, and thats how its meant to come across.

if it wasnt why woudl wenger say it so ambiguosly? al this highly confidential theory is bollox. he would have said nothing has that been the case.

now to get to the point, its a shocking thing to say by the manager. hes basically punlically throwing his toys out the pram, saying he didnt want wellbeck (which i dont disgarre with as we need better and at first i would have rather have kept our powder dry than spend so much on wellbeck, but being clouded by the england game i now hope he is better than the alternative: nothing, and may prove useful.) either way we are stuck with him and the manager should never say such a thing, that is interpreted as a ngeative, in public, about his own new player. it will undermine the player and is just baffling and mental.

begeegs

Post by begeegs »

Jeesh guys - I saw the presser with Wenger and he hardly looked upset about it. It sounds like newpapers twisting the words to make him look like it wasn't his signing. He said that he was happy that it was a permanent transfer (although he would have preferred a loan with an option to buy) and also implied that Fergie wasn't happy about the signing.

rigsby

Post by rigsby »

Wenger has full control of Arsenal signings. NOBODY is signed without his say so. The sooner people realise this the better. Do you really think Gazidas signed him and then went 'here you are!' He was enthused by the signing in the presser, and the loan thing again seems to have been taken way out of context.
to anyone that quote comes across as a negative. wenger effectively saying wellbeck wouldnt have been signed had wenger been about and not on a jolly.
It really doesn't. It's a snippet. It offers no negative or positive meaning. You can read into it what you like, but most people jump on the negative. As I said, it reads to me like Wenger was given some information of availability whilst he was there. Maybe I'm talking nonsense, but then neither of us can say with any confidence WHAT he was saying.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Wenger was in Brazil when we signed Sanchez and in Italy when we signed Welbeck.
Clearly we need to send him somewhere in January :rubchin:

spike241

Post by spike241 »

But he didn't go to some big 'manager's event' like you seem to think he did.
He flew to Rome to manage a team in a charity match.

I don't even understand what availability has to do with it. Why should we only go after players that are offered to us on a plate?
Identify the player(s) you need and make an offer, it's down to the other club to decide whether that offer is good enough. That's how other teams do it and that's how we lost some great players ourselves.

Supagoon

Post by Supagoon »

Arsene in the times.
“When you analyse his game, you think he has the qualities to play through the middle. He is very versatile and at a place like United where you had many big stars, he had to make room sometimes for others to play in the middle. If you analyse in an objective way his qualities, I think he has the perfect style to play through the middle.

“He is a young boy, not yet 24, and let’s forget that some players who arrived here at 23 made huge careers. I hope we can contribute and help him.”
I did nearly fall for the 'signed behind my back' story from the early reports, but the expanded quotes suggests that he did want him. Taking quotes out of context give the story a totally different spin of course.

spike241

Post by spike241 »

The Telegraph article has been updated, it was a lot shorter when it was posted.