THE WENGER THREAD

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

Re: WENGER - Views For and Against.

Post by augie »

While it's good to see the media holding wenker accountable now, I think it would serve US GOONERS better if it was a continual attack over a period of time rather than the links listed above. All I see are comments based on the last 2 collapses and they neglect to acknowledge the mess that has been going on for a long period of time now - that, in my opinion, only feeds the theory that we are ungrateful and are expressing a kneejerk reaction to two poor performances when the reality is completely different. If this perceived media attack on le cock continues throughout the international break then I'll be very happy, but if it is just a "hit and run" attack that they leave to pursue other stories, then it will achieve fcuk all :x

augie

Re: Wenger out by fan power

Post by augie »

officepest wrote:
Bradywasking wrote:How does this get started up, in the stadium there will be resistance to any Wenger out chants or banners. Outside protests attract a bit of media attention but its a plain to see and hear protest in the stadium that is needed. I cannot see that happening at The Emirates . If (or when) things start to go wrong against Man Ure I suggest a clearly audible "one Paul Merson" could have a big impact with the media .
I actually think that's pretty clever. The problem is Merse seems even more of a divisive character than Wenger, going by posts on here.

It is a brilliant idea and one that will absolutely relay the fans wish for a change 8) Can you imagine his reaction on the sidelines as "one paul merson" is belted out around the grove ? It would be priceless :lol: :barscarf:

VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

Gunner Rob wrote:its a bit disappointing that some posters have been very quick to dismiss a possible protest as "wont happen" or "will never ever get the numbers" That kind of response is why the club is in the mess it is in right now anyway! it is no better than Wenger thinking that we can never win the league :roll:

of course a protest can happen and I think the fact that we have 3 very tough home games coming up makes this the ideal opportunity. one isolated protest won't work though. this needs to be BEFORE every home game for the forseeable future.
AFTER games is no good - look at how quick people are to head off home as it is!

I would have thought outside the Armoury would be the best place for starters and then just watch it grow and grow week after week. if you have just 100 people for a first protest it will multiply pretty quick once the media pick up on it and the wider fanbase becomes aware of it. Personally I am not going now until Southampton as I already boycott all category A games and can't take any more CL crap after being behind the goal in the clock end for last week's shambles...

if there was a protest planned though I would probably still show up outside the ground.
Completely agree with all of this. If we're resigned to AW likely being here for another three years, why not protest and try to get him out? Really, we've got nothing to lose at this stage. It might be unlikely that the protests have any effect, but it's well worth a go - especially with a growing number of disconcerted fans.

Plus, it's worth making the media aware of the fact that we're completely unhappy with Wenger at the helm. At the moment, they seem oblivious to the fact (or simply too scared to be the first to address it).

I'd be well up for a protest at the Armoury before the Man Utd game, as suggested. Anyone else?

Supagoon

Post by Supagoon »

I suppose the problem we have is maintaining the protest.

For example, its inevitable that we will group some wins together, and then the akbs and even neutrals will be saying 'what are the arsenal fans moaning about?, they think they have it so bad'.

People outside of the club and the akbs fail to understand that many many arsenal fans want the manager gone irrespective of our form. We wanted him gone when we won at Sunderland we certainly wanted him gone after the defeat at Swansea.

People will point to pardew, but we all know we can be doing so much more than 4th place scraps with spurs/utd/Liverpool.

The fan protest may get the media aware, some even on our side, but the Arsene will not give one shit. He is beyond stubborn. He doesn't care if some bloke down the street with 0 coaching experience criticises him, he probably wouldn't care if George Graham came out and criticised him, let alone the fans.

We do need one of the big fan groups to actually commit to saying we need a new coach. Because I joke about waiting until 2017, but seriously we can't wait that long can we?? We know what will happen between then and now, not very much of it will be positive.

VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

Supagoon wrote:I suppose the problem we have is maintaining the protest.

For example, its inevitable that we will group some wins together, and then the akbs and even neutrals will be saying 'what are the arsenal fans moaning about?, they think they have it so bad'.

People outside of the club and the akbs fail to understand that many many arsenal fans want the manager gone irrespective of our form. We wanted him gone when we won at Sunderland we certainly wanted him gone after the defeat at Swansea.
It's really ironic actually. The people who want Wenger out are accused of having 'kneejerk reactions' - when we've wanted him out for four or more years - but then the AKBs will use one solitary win after a protest to argue that he's doing a good job.

silus

Post by silus »

augie wrote:While it's good to see the media holding wenker accountable now, I think it would serve US GOONERS better if it was a continual attack over a period of time rather than the links listed above. All I see are comments based on the last 2 collapses and they neglect to acknowledge the mess that has been going on for a long period of time now - that, in my opinion, only feeds the theory that we are ungrateful and are expressing a kneejerk reaction to two poor performances when the reality is completely different. If this perceived media attack on le cock continues throughout the international break then I'll be very happy, but if it is just a "hit and run" attack that they leave to pursue other stories, then it will achieve fcuk all :x
It's now down to us to keep it going. Something needs to be done in the stadiums to let feelings known...Other clubs fans seem to do it without being made to feel disloyal so why can't we. The trouble is, I think it's massively result orientated and short term with a lot of our fans. A decent result against mancs and a lot of people will forget all the shit beforehand. I never want us to lose but as someone else said a bit of a win win game next week.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

I agree with the ONE PAUL MERSON chants.

i also like the idea of something visual like black balloons or A4 sheets of paper with " I AM PAUL MERSON" :barscarf:

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

i think the press smell a story - i bet Merse is in for the United game in case wenger fucks up again.

a thumping by united will ramp up the pressure - a narrow loss can be explained away, but losses to Dortmund and Southampton in particular will see the tide turn, i'm convinced of it.

Bould i think is hanging in there to see if he can take over. I would.

begeegs

Post by begeegs »

I can only think that Arsenal need to lose convincingly to Utd and Dortmund for there to be a chance of the flames being fanned. At the moment, there are still some numpties who think that we are ungrateful after his 'sacrifice'. They think that he is going to turn it around. A couple of more bad results and that even those numbers may dwindle.

As someone pointed out above, he has a habit of pulling out results when there could be open-revolt, however, I do think that this year, that luck has dried up. He had his chance to walk on high last year, but he didn't and now it's going to get ugly.

Interesting that Rosicky has said that we have gone to a 4-4-2 this year. If that is the case, Podolski must be pissed off. He should be playing alot more in a 4-4-2

armchair

Post by armchair »

Have I unwittingly stumbled through a time portal? Maybe I've found a parallel universe or something?
Or possibly its just deja vu all over again?

Think I need a lie down....

Ikechukwu1

Post by Ikechukwu1 »

I also think nobody should lose sight if how badly Kroenke has fucked the club. On the pitch it's all down to one muppet and we know who that is. I think it's a joke that Kroenke is using the club as a slush fund and that, yet again, when tckt prices go up another 4% next season once 4th is confirmed, a bunch of zombified braindeads will happily pay up, no questions asked. Wouldn't happen at any other club. Wenker sits pretty because even though Gazidis would love to sack him he is being prevented by the majority shareholder. A loser with no interest in winning. A loser in Denver carrying a loser in the dugout
:roll:

Top Londoner

Post by Top Londoner »

armchair wrote:Have I unwittingly stumbled through a time portal? Maybe I've found a parallel universe or something?
Or possibly its just deja vu all over again?

Think I need a lie down....

Heh heh heh.
Quite.

WENGER OUT

Sam59

Post by Sam59 »

as we all know, Wenger has been given far too much power by a trusting board. In future years, the Arsenal/Wenger model will be taught in business schools as a unique model in modern football. It's a failure for us fans, but not for the board obviously, which has enabled OGL to hang on for so long when at other clubs he'd be long gone.

British PM William Pitt in 18th C said "Unlimited power is apt to corrupt the minds of those who possess it". (someone probably said that back in B.C too).
Wenger is never going to be fired by Kroenke. Things will only change when and if Wenger admits to himself that he can't cut it any more. Right now I see a man under increasing pressure each season but still a long way from any self doubt. The Emperor still thinks he's fully clothed when we know he's naked.

gra001

Post by gra001 »

Why are we always thinking what the club thinks i.e Stan, Wenger, Gazidis, there's an old saying there is more indians than chief's, we need to get thing's going by making a protest before 4:45pm the manure game and make them take notice we want WENGER OUT!!!!! with out us there is NO ARSENAL.............................

Dodgyknee71

Post by Dodgyknee71 »

Without doubt the club will be on high guard next weekend - they are aware of the trouble which happened after the anderlect and Swansea games and of the hostile feelings towards the management & board, also the clubs security have been informed by the metropolitan police to be on alert for spontaneous protests inside & outside with high potential of violence following intelligence gained. (Twitter,Facebook etc this forum no doubt too)

I'll bet my life the stewards will be ejecting a few if things are going to shit on the pitch